Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Post by kovarex »

dunpealhunter
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Post by dunpealhunter »

You guys are doing great work. Take all the time you need :)

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

FIRE FIRE MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

Great, thanks for this post.
Also, it's nice how the flames are casting shadows :D
Last edited by SWSe on Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Very interesting additions and changes. Can't wait to try it out. Alas my current 1 - 1.5 RPM factory is not running anymore due to my inability to play at sub 20 fps and enjoy the game, so ready to start a new map!!!

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Circuit improvements are awesome. It will simplify so much.

I just hope that there are upgrades to flamethrower. It looks that even a medium swarm of big biters would be out of its league.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

I like the new "safe rail crossing" :)
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

I love the flame thrower and the safe crossing! The resupplier kind of lost me but I can see it becoming very useful.
As for trying to get the update out, DON'T RUSH! :D :D I'm sure the community would prefer quality over just getting it as soon as possible. If you have to delay it one or two weeks - fine :)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

ArderBlackard
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ArderBlackard »

Looks great! Especially new circuit networks possibilities!
Gib dich hin bis du Glück bist

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

That train crossing looks awesome, I can't wait for the release.

But I think fire should not have a shadow (as in, it should not have a shadow where the sun can't reach the ground, because it is fire and emits light)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Lol. that flame attack looks like a properly implemented version of what I tried to do with my flamethrower mod. Sort of. I imagine it will work better anyhow.

Also, awesome, more circuit connection stuff.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Looks awesome.
I hope the crossing won't open gate if signal is yellow (as if it does, the train can't stop if you "force" signal red)
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Sauerkraut
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sauerkraut »

That railway crossing is AWESOME! I can't wait to enforce some safety regulation in my factory. All these workers run carelessly across the tracks and end up getting hit by a 89ton-diesel-locomotive! (what do you mean "I'm the the only worker on site"?)

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Nic wrote:I like the new "safe rail crossing" :)
Indeed, this presents the opportunity, with some engineering, to render harmless what was -- but presumably not entirely by design -- the most dangerous NPC in the game before 0.13.0!

However, reverse-engineering how it works is an interesting exercise. The red wire circuit network in the picture appears to be the only one, and seems to flow both into and out of the two deciders, and also "connects" to the ingress train signals, and to each of the gates.

Notably, all of the gates appear to be connected to only once, but one of them, the vertically oriented gate in the upper-right, which seems to be connected to the red wire twice.

If we pretend the gates are actually a pair of rail signals for an invisible railroad, except for that upper-right one, they are always connected to on the ingress side, in the vertical orientation, and always on connected to on the egress side, in the horizontal orientation. All of this may be entirely incidental.

If the gates are input-only devices, then, how is the player being detected? It seems more plausible that the gates are input-output and have a sidedness of some kind.... hmm, or perhaps output-output with a sidedness -- but then how are they being closed as described? Well, I am quite slow at solving problems like this and tend to rely on a tolerance for remaining puzzled for long periods of time to crack them. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if the question was already asked and answered in the time it took me to type this up :).

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Neemys wrote:Looks awesome.
I hope the crossing won't open gate if signal is yellow (as if it does, the train can't stop if you "force" signal red)
No, I didn't want to go into detail in the post, but the rail signal allows to specify different values for green/orange/red states.
It was done in a way that it is guaranteed to be save.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

golfmiketango wrote:
Nic wrote:I like the new "safe rail crossing" :)
Indeed, this presents the opportunity, with some engineering, to render harmless what was -- but presumably not entirely by design -- the most dangerous NPC in the game before 0.13.0!

However, reverse-engineering how it works is an interesting exercise. The red wire circuit network in the picture appears to be the only one, and seems to flow both into and out of the two deciders, and also "connects" to the ingress train signals, and to each of the gates.

Notably, all of the gates appear to be connected to only once, but one of them, the vertically oriented gate in the upper-right, which seems to be connected to the red wire twice.

If we pretend the gates are actually a pair of rail signals for an invisible railroad, except for that upper-right one, they are always connected to on the ingress side, in the vertical orientation, and always on connected to on the egress side, in the horizontal orientation. All of this may be entirely incidental.

If the gates are input-only devices, then, how is the player being detected? It seems more plausible that the gates are input-output and have a sidedness of some kind.... hmm, or perhaps output-output with a sidedness -- but then how are they being closed as described? Well, I am quite slow at solving problems like this and tend to rely on a tolerance for remaining puzzled for long periods of time to crack them. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if the question was already asked and answered in the time it took me to type this up :).
Gates and signals are used both for input and output here. Gates send signal when they detect the player and want to be opened and signals send signals for red/orange/red state. (But they don't send anything if they are red because of the circuit network reservation).

sekanz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sekanz »

Where did the caution textures come from that are shown in the example expansion base under the smart inserters/chests? Is this something new as well or is that a mod?

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Finally a build in way to l8adbalance my train stations.

Nice. Cant wait for it, but please dont rush out wirh a buggy build.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Forgot to mention -- it would be great if that "set filters" mode for inserters could also be used to set requester requests via the circuit-network... I guess it would have to be called something different though, "set requests" or somesuch..

Ed: now that I think about it, this requires a new connection point or two which starts to be quite a bit more involved than I'd imagined. So ignore me; this idea belongs in "suggestions," not here.

Return to “News”