Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Krinkovic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Post by Krinkovic »

Ok so I am a total newb when it comes to the circuit network. I have played around with similar systems in other games but always have a hard time wrapping my head around it. I think I understand how the example in the expansion base works, but what is new that allows it to work, that wasn't there before? The only thing I see is the connection to the roboport, but wouldn't connectng to the storage chest give the same result? My question might of course reveal that I have completely misunderstood how it works though, and if so, could someone please explain it to me? I really want to understand these things better :)

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Krinkovic wrote:what is new that allows it to work, that wasn't there before? The only thing I see is the connection to the roboport, but wouldn't connectng to the storage chest give the same result?
Prevously you could not turn on/of filters in smart inserter individually, so you had several choices:
  • Use one inserter per item: there are physical limits on how many insertes can fit near train car.
  • Stop inserting when any item is over capacity: some items will never be used and will block other items from being aquired.
  • Stop inserting when all items are over capacity: first station in the list will grab many unneeded items, potentially preventing others from access. What worse, it could accidentally block chest with excess items, preventing condition from even fulfilling and preventing access to needed item.
  • Combination of all 3 above: It does not solve the problem, it just makes it less prominent.
Generally if you want to filter M units of each of N kinds of items, you need N smart inserters. This change allows replace it with one inserter + 2 combinators.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Nice to see, that the developers play with the color coding mod.
Or does this mean the mod goes vanilla?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

With the upcomming change, you can preset the stuff you want in the outpost, eg 10 walls and 5 turrets via a constant combinator.

The (single) smart inserter will move everything from the train, that is missing in the network.

Currently you need 1 inserter per item, that moves while this item is less than the preset.
Last edited by nobodx on Sat May 28, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

steinio wrote:Nice to see, that the developers play with the color coding mod.

Greetings steinio
We have a new piece of concrete called 'Hazard concrete' inspired by the mod :D

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Klonan wrote:

Greetings steinio
Goose bumps.
Come on just take all or nothing ;)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Klonan wrote:

Greetings steinio
What happened to the new border textures? They're missing here!

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

I dunno man, kinda rush !! but then again i'm impatient !!! yeah why do the flames have shadows ?? the smoke particles should have an very light alpha shadow but flames dont cast shadows
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Awesome update, I can't wait for the release! The new flames and circuit network stuff look awesome, plus all the other cool additions to look forward to. :D

I'm very interested to see the details of the train rework since you left us with a nice cliff-hanger. Haha
Image Image Image

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

I really liked to see filter stack inserter. However I haven't noticed it right away, 'cause it has quite similar graphics to regular smart inserter (guessing it's a placeholder)
New circuit system possibilities look really really tasty!

:idea: Oh, and pleeeease, don't make spoilers on new trains! Let it be surprise for release! :mrgreen:
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Here you can clearly see the dark shadow of the oil flame in sunny day. Carbon particles in the flame are as opaque if they glow or not.

willtree8
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by willtree8 »

What happened to the Spider-tron? Any updates or has that been put on the back burner?

Krinkovic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krinkovic »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:I really liked to see filter stack inserter. However I haven't noticed it right away, 'cause it has quite similar graphics to regular smart inserter (guessing it's a placeholder)
I believe the smart inserters will be replaced with these stack filter inserters, just as the smart chests will be removed, since everything will now be connectable to the circuit network.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Oh wow, that's a nice flame thrower! I can't wait for 0.13! :D

The gate mechanic is nice - a friend of mine always gets killed by trains. But then again, he always stops walking on a rail, so I don't think that this will help him. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

EurypteriD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EurypteriD »

willtree8 wrote:What happened to the Spider-tron? Any updates or has that been put on the back burner?
if you follow the roadmap they had to push it back a bit.
Let's Play Youtube Channel

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

Hannu wrote:Here you can clearly see the dark shadow of the oil flame in sunny day. Carbon particles in the flame are as opaque if they glow or not.
and all our questions are answered. Thank you !!
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Awesome stuff.

Can't wait for the new circuit/logisitics stuff.

Maybe I will be able to create that beltless, on demand mining area I've been hankering after :)
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Krinkovic wrote:
RobertTerwilliger wrote:I really liked to see filter stack inserter. However I haven't noticed it right away, 'cause it has quite similar graphics to regular smart inserter (guessing it's a placeholder)
I believe the smart inserters will be replaced with these stack filter inserters, just as the smart chests will be removed, since everything will now be connectable to the circuit network.
If stack inserters will wait for hand to get filled to stack size - such change won't work then, as we'll loose smart inserter to non-stack situations. However, if any inserter will have filter function (rumors) this isn't an issue at all. However again, the name "Filter stack inserter" says it isn't regular filter inserter as an entity, so former statement is a rumor and nothing more.

So, I suppose we will need separate smart inserters with and without stack size bonus. With somewhat different graphics, for sure.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

gallomimia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gallomimia »

dunpealhunter wrote:You guys are doing great work. Take all the time you need :)
I disagree with "take all the time you need". This game is early access! You can release 0.13 whenever you want, even if some things are broken or missing graphics! If something needs fixing even after release, there's always 0.13.[1-30]

Your users are already used to seeing bugs and problems. There is already a disclaimer saying stuff isn't perfect. So what if 0.13.0 isn't perfect? I guess what I'm saying is, you could release it next week even if it has problems, or you could wait and polish it up some. You could keep it off the stable line until it has a few bug-fix releases out.

Either way don't fret about it. We all know it's going to be awesome!

"You guys are doing great work." <---- That I agree with.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

gallomimia wrote:
dunpealhunter wrote:You guys are doing great work. Take all the time you need :)
I disagree with "take all the time you need". This game is early access! You can release 0.13 whenever you want, even if some things are broken or missing graphics! If something needs fixing even after release, there's always 0.13.[1-30]
No, you obviously can't release it if things are missing graphics or known to not work!

That is exactly why most early access games are a steaming pile of crap, and factorio doesn't belong near them.

Return to “News”