Friday Facts #132 - Side Project

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Gnarflord
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #132 - Side Project

Post by Gnarflord »

Oh man, I can't wait to play factorio on my nokia... or my gameboy... or my Z3
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.” - Terry Pratchett

DjTeo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DjTeo »

I hate you. You ruined my dream. :evil:
I always wanted to play factorio on the go. :D

Cos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cos »

And yet......

.....why would people come up with this on this day.

Minds at work?
?

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

super hope it was april fools when they started to talk about a free to play model for factorio on mobile, factorio is pure. qq about no proper friday facts

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

I was really hoping that you would pick up the toilet feature today because... you know where people use their smartphone mostly... location, location, location.

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Ahahaha...A little TOO realistic, almost. :P

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

Hmm I actually completely believed the post (some parts were a bit odd but I've just woken up) and then read the first page of this topic. Immediately rescanned the post, and converted Ox417072696c20466F6F6C73. Kudos to the dev team :shock: :lol:
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

bumpinthenight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bumpinthenight »

Ooh ho ho, well played. Well played.

ralgrado
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ralgrado »

Totally fell for this one until I came here. I was so suspicious at the UPS and FPS but no all reasonable. All good even the payment thingy and the seminar... Nice one

Blaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blaster »

Having to login again because wifi hiccups causes double posts and makes Blaster sad
Last edited by Blaster on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blaster »

Trangar wrote:...When a machine is done harvesting, a little balloon will appear above the machine. The player can run around and click those balloons to get their items...
OH HELL NO

This is a game about automation. Whoever came up with this as a game mechanic is a huge dick.

I've given up on many mobile games because of the Korean level of grinding this causes.

clairaoswald
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by clairaoswald »

Free to play and mobile. Sounds like an April Fools Joke to me.

muuo_nj
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by muuo_nj »

All the best with this idea!

I just hope that mobile doesn't slow down development for the PC game. Also, I [and hopefully a lot of ther PC players] would be willing to pay upfront for the mobile game as not everyone is into F2P... so maybe consider keeping that open as an option. As an extra feature you could keep PC and mobile games in sync, so I could continue my game on the commute and carry on where I left off once I get home. That would also ensure that the PC version and mobile version keep on at the same pace.

Edit: Oops... Didn't realize this was an April Fools! *facepalm*
Last edited by muuo_nj on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyallp »

Whislt I use an iPhone, and look forward to the day I can factorio on the phone, I personally disagree with running factorio in the background.

Why? Battery life.

I have my phone already optimised to the max to extend battery life and I have absolutely no interest in a power sucking app killing my already limited battery.

The other reason is, why would I want to run in the background anyway? I would miss all the fun that is Factorio!

Now, the Personal Factory Assistant, on the PC version would be great! Notified that a factory is not receiving input(s), etc.
...Lyall

Wombatinger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wombatinger »

You #%&*! got me near to cry!!

My brain did't work - so real - I own godus!

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

I know some of you take this FFF as joke but unfortunatly thats very common Business in gaming industry at the Moment. I dislike the idea of making a simple "Sequel" on mobile devices as fighting would be hell. I would like to take the opportunity to suggest my idea of an "mobile gaming enhancement":

Since about 2-3 weeks we run a factorio Server, that means that you're not available for Problem solving all time, as the game continues when anybody is online. So whats missing here is a Basic overview and Control mechanism. What i am thinking of would be an app displaying for example power and production Screens and gives you Access to Basic configurable items in your factory. Lets describe in an example. You're in School and somebody from another timezone loggs onto Server and game continues. Your risk here is that your factory Comes short on certain resources or power, so why not have an APP to check production and power Network from remote site. This is the easy part.
Next would be an "satellite Network uplink". You have to start a rocket with satellite then you can place ground Control Station and link items like power Switches pumps or Train stops(0.13) to it so you can Control them using the app.
For example you see that oil is getting short, so you can disable pumps for Lubricant production and start heavy oil Crackers to Keep more resources for plastic production. Or you see that enemy attacks are getting stronger .. so you power off half of your factory to have more reserves for defense.

These are just simple examples, i am sure modders and devs will find way more uses. But i actually also like the idea of having your iPad in front of you while playing at home. so you can easily Switch those mentioned stuff without Need to actually walk there. It would be like a "remote Control" ingame. For hardcore Gamers it would be even possible to put 4 ipads with minimap/production Screen/power Screen/Control Panel, so you can oversee all aspects without loosing area on your main Screen.

I think some of you will know the "Artemis" Bridge Simulator. I personally really like the idea of professional organized multplayer coop gaming, thats where mobile devices offer a huge potential as you're not only avail the 2-3h per day at home, no you can act/Control/adjust almost 10h a day while awake.

lukaiw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lukaiw »

wow factorio on mobille =D yay my i only wory that we wiil hawe 2 pay 4 it again D= but probably worth it =D

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

as a Nintendo fan...

Factorio for 3DS and Wii U! xD
would buy it for another 12-20€

mmalyska
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mmalyska »

Very good, very good sirs. It was such nice day to announce that ;)

Return to “News”