Friday Facts #131 - Roadmap shuffle

Regular reports on Factorio development.
BlackLight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #131 - Roadmap shuffle

Post by BlackLight »

Cool! (Yes, I'm speechless.)

PandaGOD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PandaGOD »

Well, im takin a degree in Multimedia wich includes Blender Classes, but im not rly that "pro" in Blender xD

(Altough i had some plans to make some factorio stuff on it :D )

Awesome FFF :D

moonshadow101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by moonshadow101 »

I hope the GUI update makes the crafting menu more... expandable. It's silly when people suggest new items and they're dismissed by "Well, having to put 8 more things in the crafting menu would suck."

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

all these things are great, and we appreciate them, but honestly, a better mining drill is one of the easiest to code things ever. You could even be lazy and take a modders pre codded one, and just change it a little.
still love everything else, but it seems like we need less shiny things, more functional things

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

vaderciya wrote:all these things are great, and we appreciate them, but honestly, a better mining drill is one of the easiest to code things ever. You could even be lazy and take a modders pre codded one, and just change it a little.
still love everything else, but it seems like we need less shiny things, more functional things
It'd need graphics too, and they probably have more in mind than "a better mining drill".

mastamage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mastamage »

Zeblote wrote:
vaderciya wrote:all these things are great, and we appreciate them, but honestly, a better mining drill is one of the easiest to code things ever. You could even be lazy and take a modders pre codded one, and just change it a little.
It'd need graphics too, and they probably have more in mind than "a better mining drill".
you can still be lazy with it: take the image file of the miner, and crtc ctrlv one next to it.
- of course i dont know how factorio does the moving images, if those are in strip format it is going to take a while, and look really weird if you make 1 mistake XD

also: omg its zeblote!

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

jockeril wrote:
indjev99 wrote:Why don't you take the Minecraft route? What I mean by that is you should have some snapshots where only some of the features of the update are implemented. That we can enjoy the new features (the ones that are nearly finished) and also test them, while you are working on the rest. Of course these snapshots would not be the default update, but only for people who want experimental builds.
But that's exactly what they are doing :o the 0.13 will be experimental versions for those that want to checkout the new features... when 0.12 came out the stable version was 0.11.22 and if you didn't want to experience the bugs/problems/desyncs you used that ad didn't mark "experimental versions update"... :!:
As far as I understand they start releasing after all features are done and then they release a new version every time they fix a lot of bugs. My suggestion is to have a few snapshots where not all features are done yet, so tat we can play around with the ones that are.

pacmanlite
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pacmanlite »

What is the Dolphin Achievement?
Sorry if this has already been asked.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

mastamage wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
you can still be lazy with it: take the image file of the miner, and crtc ctrlv one next to it.
- of course i dont know how factorio does the moving images, if those are in strip format it is going to take a while, and look really weird if you make 1 mistake XD
how typical of late joiners with small number of posts (shows how much interest you have in the game and the community) to be so judgmental :x

This team did not put so many hours into developing this game just so you can come, FOUR (!) years later and downplay their efforts to make a AAA game. they don't make a half-ass item just to say they made it - they need to test and balance it to feet the rest of the progression process without making other items obsolete too soon - did the two of you (vaderciya & masterage) think about that ?
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Lomred
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lomred »

I personally think that it would be good if there was some kind of "sniper-tower" like the ones from the bob's mods and a "long-ranged machine gun". These towers would, in my opinion, be very cool because I once built a Factory, went out for some exploring and when I came back, I immediatly got killed by biters because the have ovverran my defense of machine towers, which were a lot.

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

jockeril wrote:
mastamage wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
how typical of late joiners with small number of posts (shows how much interest you have in the game and the community) to be so judgmental :x

This team did not put so many hours into developing this game just so you can come, FOUR (!) years later and downplay their efforts to make a AAA game. they don't make a half-ass item just to say they made it - they need to test and balance it to feet the rest of the progression process without making other items obsolete too soon - did the two of you (vaderciya & masterage) think about that ?
calm down.
i'm not a "late joiner" (and even those have their rights on their opinions), but i share the opinion of the guy you're criticizing. factorio drastically lacks an endgame and all this guy said was, he's disappointed that one of those endgame enhancements still doesn't get priorization.

may i quote something very interesting i've read recently, on the blog of tynan sylvster, the guy who codes rimworld (fantastic game, btw)

http://tynansylvester.com/2013/12/email ... r-results/
"So in the end, what I really want from you is not so much nine variants of meticulously perfected sounds for the muffalo which add some subconscious perception of quality to the product" [snip] "And it’s my belief that the best way to find those things is to work fast, save time, experiment, and ruthlessly and constantly prioritize."

back to factorio -> i'd greatly appreciate if 0.13 would bang out 25 new experimental features, half of them broken, another half of them removed later. but let us play around with some new things and ideas, and let the response from the community decide what gets coded to perfection and what not.

Lomred
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lomred »

tecxx wrote:
jockeril wrote:
mastamage wrote:
Zeblote wrote:

calm down.
i'm not a "late joiner" (and even those have their rights on their opinions), but i share the opinion of the guy you're criticizing. factorio drastically lacks an endgame and all this guy said was, he's disappointed that one of those endgame enhancements still doesn't get priorization.

may i quote something very interesting i've read recently, on the blog of tynan sylvster, the guy who codes rimworld (fantastic game, btw)

http://tynansylvester.com/2013/12/email ... r-results/
"So in the end, what I really want from you is not so much nine variants of meticulously perfected sounds for the muffalo which add some subconscious perception of quality to the product" [snip] "And it’s my belief that the best way to find those things is to work fast, save time, experiment, and ruthlessly and constantly prioritize."

back to factorio -> i'd greatly appreciate if 0.13 would bang out 25 new experimental features, half of them broken, another half of them removed later. but let us play around with some new things and ideas, and let the response from the community decide what gets coded to perfection and what not.
So here's my opinion:
Why don't they try to make a "nightly build" like the people developing Starbound. Everybody who wants to have the new things every night will get 'em every night(nightly), and everybodywho doesn't like that can still have the "stable release". How about THAT? ;)

Croissant
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Croissant »

I just want to know if achievements will still be in the non-steam version. In no way a game-changer, but it would be a nice, small little thing to have.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Croissant wrote:I just want to know if achievements will still be in the non-steam version. In no way a game-changer, but it would be a nice, small little thing to have.
Definitely.

Theace98
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Theace98 »

Two months until the next release? Good, that means that A: I can look forward to it and B: I'll have time to play it.

The achievements look good though, no lasers, no construction bots and I think I see a person about to be hit by a train in there. And so long and thanks for all the fish, now there needs to be a 42 achievement. Somewhere.

On another note, the oil wagon has been put back to 0.14, but what about other oil objects such as the oil boiler?
I typically play Factorio, Minecraft, Rimworld, Starsector, Prison Architect and Stardrive 2. Oh and add XCOM, FTL and Homeworld. And Transport Tycoon...

Quite frankly, it's a miracle I get anything done.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Factorio is number 2 in bestsellers on Steam. Great success I say! I think you are right to hire some more staff, because right now, there is a huge influx of new players, and some of them will be a bit inpatient ... :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

These are to be finished:
Redo of the train graphics and fixing the train distances, so they are whole tiles and vertical and horizontal distances are the same.
YES! Finally!
Stuff that had to be postponed to 0.14, so we can deliver the rest:
Fluid wagon
Boo!

Though, I thought it was more than just fluid wagons, I thought it also included being able to use fluids as a fuel too, and many more fluid intergrations that arn't there yet.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

bobingabout wrote:I thought it also included being able to use fluids as a fuel too, and many more fluid intergrations that arn't there yet.
Damn, it'd be great! However this should force reworking some existing stuff. To make, say, cars and tanks running on liquid fuel, and implementing second train engine - solid fuel engine, which could run in old way, and diesel locomotive should be definitely a liquid-fuel one etc. I.e. it may break old saves.
And yes, liquid fuel CAN be used IRL in solid fuel combustors, BUT it is A) dangerous (unless special injecting equipment is attached) B) ineffective (comparing to internal combustion engines), so separation should be implemented (maybe with some more expensive hybrid devices)

Also currently we can craft canned gas (flamethrower ammo), but we should craft napalm instead from liquid fuel (gas) and plastic (quite close to IRL Napalm-B production, excluding benzene) and some plates for container (flamethrower "magazine")

Some day, some day))
Last edited by RobertTerwilliger on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

jockeril wrote:
mastamage wrote:
Zeblote wrote:

Late joiner???? How very dare you! I bought the third tier of factorio almost 3 years ago well before it was as popular as it is now. I have been present for it's development since the week I joined, and have read almost every Friday facts since then. I didn't feel the need to make a forum account until a did, certainly not to please YOU, being the assumption making child you are.
And to try and degrade what someone else is saying because they joined later than you? What? Seriously? oooohhhhhhh look at you with 200 posts, man, I bet you feel so good about yourself, trying to degrade other people's suggestions and opinions. Nothing you're saying make sense anyone. None of us were coming here and saying it was half assed, nobody was being judgmental, and most importantly nobody was shitting on each others ideas.

So, because you literally asked me if I thought of the progression process, yes, i have. It may be difficult for someone like you to be think that someone else has intelligent thought process and can think for themselves, but yes, we actually did think about this. Which, if you had read between the lines you would have noticed instantly. Nobody gets seniority or gets to feel like they're higher up than anyone else because of how much they've played or how long they've been around. BUT, because I have been around a long time and have sunk more hours into factorio than most, I can say that YES, I did think of the progression process or I wouldn't have recommended and commented on it.

It is NOT hard to make a mining drill. And as we have seen, the graphics department have been doing extremely well with updating and making new graphic integrations to the game. HOWEVER. Because I'm not an asshole, i won't assume to know your knowledge about coding, however it seems fairly limited. That being said, there are already 2 kinds of miners in the game that work perfectly fine. If they wanted to make a new miner they wouldn't start from scratch unless it was drastically different. They would most likely take the code from the electric miner and change it so that it costs more resource, power, creates more pollution, outputs more per cycle, and that could all be achieved fairly quickly. Graphically speaking, currently in game there is a color scheme. yellow-red-blue is the basic upgrade scheme, along with some grays and other misc colors. It takes someone who knows how to use Photoshop or a similar program a couple of minutes at most to change the tint of a premade image. Okay, now you can say maybe they don't want it to look the same. or maybe they want it to have different physical properties altogether. fine. But the basic algorithms set up for production, speed, pollution, cost, and electricity are already there. they are simply strings of code that would take a relatively small amount of time to modify and get what you want. Likewise, there are two people in the graphics department. It would take them about a single day to make a brand new image and animation for the miner. I know this, because I am a graphic designer and I have basic C++ knowledge.

Maybe they don't have time. That's fine. Multiple mods such as bobs mods, dytech, and simple upgrade mods already have the code and graphics for miners and other entities that can easily be taken, and then modified slightly to fit whatever parameters they wish to impose on the new drill.
I knew all of this before commenting, it was thought out, and written accordingly.

I suggest next time you try to act like you're superior to someone else because you have more posts written and have supposedly been with the game longer, you actually think about what you say BEFORE you say it. I don't get mad easily, but when people like you try to attack and act better than others, especially new people who aren't at fault for not coming to the game sooner, try to do what you do, it pisses me off.

What you presumed to know and said was rude, unintuitive, and flat out wrong.
You, sir!
Owe masterage an apology.

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

kovarex wrote:
Croissant wrote:I just want to know if achievements will still be in the non-steam version. In no way a game-changer, but it would be a nice, small little thing to have.
Definitely.
Hey kovarex, do you know if getting vehicles (tank and car) to be able to drive in an actual straight line could be somewhere on the list?
I don't know if you've noticed, but when you drive you cant every go exactly straight, you kind of strafe a bit to the side.
I currently use a mod to fix it.

But was just curious about it, I've never seen it mentioned.

Return to “News”