Friday Facts #130 - Steam release side effects

Regular reports on Factorio development.
torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #130 - Steam release side effects

Post by torham »

I imagine that tutorials are quite tricky to do because of the free form nature of the game. The maps are randomized, and all the facilities are very modular.
There is one other game that comes to mind that has the same setup - modded minecraft.
I personally had good experience with the minecraft modpacks that include the questing book. You have random world, and you build your base on your own, but the book guides you on what to do next, and gives some goals to aim at.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

First of all, I've accidentally noticed "Buy Game" page does not contain link to Steam, only mentioning the fact it's available. I think, the link is needed, because there's currently only single link on the whole website (at homepage) at the banner.

It is bright and noticeable, however consider phenomenon of "banner blindness", which can make some people to just not notice it.
Well, maybe it's a bit much, but what I mean, the banner is also a temporary thing, as it appears, so proper link in proper place is needed.

Another thing is Factorio still on the first place in Steam "sort by reviews, and quite interesting fact - first places are occupied by highly specific games. E.g. second one is bomb disposal simulator, to which personally I will never give negative feedback, because I'm 100% sure I wouldn't like it, so I won't even try. Unlike hundreds of all-the-same shooters, slashers, rpgs and strategies, which gameplay quality is unpredictable until you try.

The same thing with Factorio - it is clearly seen what is game about, and people like it or dislike even before trying, as I've never seen any game similar to Factorio, so it will be the best game in "factory sim strategy" genre. (Minecraft with industrial mods tends to move somewhat in this direction, but not even close)
And when (or even if) better game will appear, Factorio will always be the First, the Legendary one. Like Dune is legend of PC strategies, despite it is almost unplayable in modern strategy standards : )
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Umcookies wrote:
TheTom wrote: * Get real about a decent web host. My business site would have cost me a TON more money for 8tb traffic. 80 USD. 10 USD per Terabyte. Get a decent host.
I'm curious, where did you see them mention the actual amount they spent on overages?

On top of that I'm confused by your statement, how does the fact YOU would spend more money on overage traffic make their host bad in any way?
Please learn reading. I pointed out that the amount I would pay for the traffic would not be worth mentioning. Which translates into their host being AWFULLY EXPENSIVE if they consider such small amounts being a significant expense. This is why I said "get a decent host". If you pay multiple times market rate (and my rate is by no means negotiated - in fact, I am with quite an expensive host for those machines due to the fact that most of the stuff running there is locality sensitive, i.e. I have to be in a specific city for latency) then you do not bitch about having to pay a lot - you go out and get a market rate provider.

" totaling a whopping 8.0 Terabytes of data usage. Unsurprisingly this incurred us a large overage fee from our server provider, " - no. The large fee was incurred due to a too expensive provider.

Umcookies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Umcookies »

TheTom wrote: Please learn reading.
My reading is fine, if that's what you meant then actually say that from the beginning. Leaving it up to the readers imagination can be a fickle thing, as you've just seen it can be misinterpreted quite easily.

Anyhoo personally I believe that it's just a case of more than they were expecting. If you usually pay $~X a month and get a suddenly fee of $~XX of course it's going to feel like a lot. Though I doubt they pay $X a month as it looks like they use EC2-AWS.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Umcookies wrote:it can be misinterpreted quite easily
Nope, it was completely monosemantic even to me, from Ukraine, which language is even in different language group with English : D
The only a bit questionable thing was sarcasm about "ton of money - $80", considering sarcasm itself is hard to translate from verbal to written language.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

it appears that the FFF is gone

VADemon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VADemon »

What's the reasoning behind pulling down the article?
I hope Klonan is ok and didn't have to stay in a corner for hours. : )

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

It's still available on Steam, so it's probably a technical issue or something. They removed the banner from the website, and maybe they unintentionally removed the article, too?

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

FFF #130 missing is an error, nothing intentional.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

You might look up BPG animations. They are lightweight images and animations based on the H.265 video codec. It might be a better replacement for GIFs than going with a full video file.

Dasm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dasm »

Congratulations guys!! I've been following this game for a LONG time and now I see you have really kicked off on Steam. I'm so excited to see this one doing so well! I read that you sold more copies in the first 3 weeks of putting it up on Steam than you had in the entire run previously. While you can't give exact numbers, I know that has to be 300,000+ copies!!! If any game deserves to do well, its this one (and KSP too :P )

Return to โ€œNewsโ€