Friday Facts #129 - The late game

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Gabba Gandalf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #129 - The late game

Post by Gabba Gandalf »

Yes, agree. We need both. /sign

good idea

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

Qon wrote:We need both.
This statement boils my argument down to its very base line quite nicely; glad we can agree :)

My original quote
tehroach wrote:IMO I don't really see the need to transfer any other liquid other than Oil or Water by rail as Oil can be used to create all other liquids other than water.
Was more to highlight the fact that anyone's play-style should NOT represent a contributing factor.

When the known facts are:
*Barrels are currently in the game.
*The dev's are going to introduce tankers and ways to transport all fluid types by rail.

I just believe that the "HOW" this is done should remain the "CHOICE" of the player.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

tehroach wrote:I just believe that the "HOW" this is done should remain the "CHOICE" of the player.
Completely agree. I just meant, if we never couldn't transfer oil in barrels before - I doubt very much, absence of ones would bother ridiculously much less people, than taking them away after they were present.
Why? Because most people don't like changes by instinct.
I do as well, and I'm just saying, there's no particular reason to have belts interfering with pipes via barrels. I'm not saying, they should or shouldn't - personally I'll feel good with any devs' choice taking away barrels or not.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

K969
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by K969 »

RE: Late game mining.

Instead of having to build mining outposts in the late game, what about a mining rig train wagon that slowly travels along a railtrack laid down across the ore patch. Have a new train station that triggers the mining rig (pulled by the train) to mine ore till it's full then triggered back into train mode to trundle the ore back to base for unloading before returning to it's mining station to repeat. you could have the new station and rig unlocked in the lategame tech tree. With a few tracks laid down across the ore patch and the right signal layout you could have several rigs strip mining a patch.

Edit:
RE: barrels.
Would not like to see them removed due to the fact that many players prefer feeding their refineries with barrels rather than pipes.

RE: Rail Tankers.
A different one to be researched for each fluid type and different components required to build each one, ie acid tanker would requie better than steel to contain it's corrosive nature and have each tanker the colour of the fluid it can carry.
Don't burn me for throwing ideas out there, for one idea could spark a revolution. ;o)

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

K969 wrote: RE: Rail Tankers.
A different one to be researched for each fluid type and different components required to build each one, ie acid tanker would requie better than steel to contain it's corrosive nature and have each tanker the colour of the fluid it can carry.
I see no harm in that given we won't be able to pump multiple liquids into the same tank wagon anyway.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Escadin wrote:
K969 wrote: RE: Rail Tankers.
I see no harm in that given we won't be able to pump multiple liquids into the same tank wagon anyway.
It would work the same as storage tank, it would just be mobile.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

Its a bit necro I know, but I just read your late game FF post and I have some thoughts.

I'm presently playing a late game and it is getting a bit meh. I can't be bothered to build a rocket, attacking biters is a bit grindy and I am not seeing anything exciting when I travel far from my base (richer ores as you say in your FF would be a big plus for me). I am at the end of the tech tree and have a full chest of bubble-gum left over.

For me, what would be nice is to combine launching rockets with making biter combat easier, so I can explore more of the map ( I know, its infinite, but hey..).
So I would like to see a flat combat bonus (probably a flat %reduction damage taken) to help with the grind with each rocket launch - you can say its as a result of better satellite surveillance or some such.

Each rocket launched would reduce damage taken by (say) 5% (applied on a multiplicative basis NOT additive ;-) ) giving an incentive to launch rockets AND explore, instead of the having disconnection between these activities as exists now.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:Its a bit necro I know, but I just read your late game FF post and I have some thoughts.
Working on that promotion from Acolyte to Necromancer I see :P
AcolyteOfRocket wrote:I'm presently playing a late game and it is getting a bit meh. I can't be bothered to build a rocket, attacking biters is a bit grindy and I am not seeing anything exciting when I travel far from my base (richer ores as you say in your FF would be a big plus for me). I am at the end of the tech tree and have a full chest of bubble-gum left over.

For me, what would be nice is to combine launching rockets with making biter combat easier, so I can explore more of the map ( I know, its infinite, but hey..).
So I would like to see a flat combat bonus (probably a flat %reduction damage taken) to help with the grind with each rocket launch - you can say its as a result of better satellite surveillance or some such.

Each rocket launched would reduce damage taken by (say) 5% (applied on a multiplicative basis NOT additive ;-) ) giving an incentive to launch rockets AND explore, instead of the having disconnection between these activities as exists now.
I indeed agree that there needs to be some way of reducing biter strength,
atm I have been experimenting with a negative value on the enemy_evolution.destroy_factor

/c game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.destroy_factor = game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.destroy_factor * -0.5

which changes the bitter evolution factor by -0.001 (instead of +0.002) for every spawner destroyed
hence you are able to set the bitters back to the stone age by killing 1000 bases (calculation excludes time and pollution factors)

Which gives more reason to go kill the bitters even the ones that are way out of pollution range.

Note I do set the resource rate to very rare and biter bases to very big

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

Alas my order does not study re-animation, only widespread mega-death by Rocket ;-)
What other resource settings do you use to go with the rare rate? - I'm looking for something that gives fewer, but more juicy, resource fields for my next game.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:
Alas my order does not study re-animation, only widespread mega-death by Rocket ;-)
What other resource settings do you use to go with the rare rate? - I'm looking for something that gives fewer, but more juicy, resource fields for my next game.
Grab RSO, edit config file to change resource chance to 0.3 and richness to 2-3.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:What other resource settings do you use to go with the rare rate? - I'm looking for something that gives fewer, but more juicy, resource fields for my next game.
I have listed the exact settings here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21630&start=10#p136267
orzelek wrote:Grab RSO, edit config file to change resource chance to 0.3 and richness to 2-3.
That is really good to know, thanks :)

LuuMor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LuuMor »

I like the idea of the richness of the mining sites growing the further you are from the center of the map and that would be just implemented as stated.

The dirty ore part got me thinking more and here's my take on the topic:
- Dirty ore should be slower to mine and you could mine it with every drill. (Four times slower?)
- New mining drill that reduces the time needed to mine dirty ore. (Doubles the speed of mining dirty ore?)
- Using dirty ore directly in furnances should be slower to smelt. (Like four times slower?)
- You can automate washing the dirty ore to turn it to normal ore: Using Assembling machine 3 that needs water and two dirty ores to produce one normal ore. (Good ratio?)

This way we have all the wanted features. :)

Erickjones
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Erickjones »

Thank you

Tungsten
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tungsten »

I like the deep mining. You could need metal plates/pipes/beams to support new tunnels. This could also serve as extra logistics and resource drain

Return to “News”