Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 pm

cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
Me too my friend, me too.
ThaPear wrote:I see a lot of people talking about your own base burning. I think steel and concrete don't burn very well.
I'd imagine burning trees nearby might do damage to buildings, but I don't see how your own buildings would burn.
High voltage equipment finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJOuoQyRIs
Image

User avatar
jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:04 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by jockeril » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 pm

cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
[request] RTL support please

Hebrew Translator for FARL & EvoGUI and much more

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !
Image

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 pm

jockeril wrote:
cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
And then it was going to be about space traveling.

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
Image

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 7383
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by kovarex » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 pm

Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:
cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
And then it was going to be about space traveling.

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.

User avatar
Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Phillip_Lynx » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:32 pm

kovarex wrote:No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.
THIS sounds promising if not awsome!

I have thought the platform was ditched for good.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:34 am

kovarex wrote:
Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:
cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
And then it was going to be about space traveling.

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.
Cool, must have missed that info.

Also, dota-like team-based multiplayer confirmed for next update, yes?
Image

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Ringkeeper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Drury wrote:
ThaPear wrote:I see a lot of people talking about your own base burning. I think steel and concrete don't burn very well.
I'd imagine burning trees nearby might do damage to buildings, but I don't see how your own buildings would burn.
High voltage equipment finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJOuoQyRIs
well, thats because the transformators are filled with oil for cooling purpose. And that, natural , burns as hell :D

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Ringkeeper wrote:
Drury wrote:
ThaPear wrote:I see a lot of people talking about your own base burning. I think steel and concrete don't burn very well.
I'd imagine burning trees nearby might do damage to buildings, but I don't see how your own buildings would burn.
High voltage equipment finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJOuoQyRIs
well, thats because the transformators are filled with oil for cooling purpose. And that, natural , burns as hell :D
Exactly.

You can't just look at a metal building and say "well this can't catch fire ever" - there can still be flammable stuff inside.
Image

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Fatmice » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:10 pm

I really do wish we could at least replant some trees...maybe as way to appease the natives?
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Ojelle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 am

kovarex wrote:
Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:
cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
And then it was going to be about space traveling.

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.
Jippieeeeee!

Looking forward to those.
And somehow my base is getting les then 60fps again. Snif. Well, I don't care about the fps but about ups, but those are always the same as far as I can tell. (now avg of 40/40 with drops to 30/30). Its a pretty big base dough (I think). (1.4GW electricity, produces about 10k iron/min)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

deemer
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:01 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by deemer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:56 pm

So many great ideas about fire. Here's my ideas:

1) A forest fire should not destroy rails or walls, but it may damage them a bit. That gives the player a way to protect most of their base from accidents.
2) As someone else mentioned, fire spread should be biased in the direction of wind.
3) I think the fire should spread more slowly than in the FF, perhaps by a factor of two. That would give a quick player a chance to create a firebreak, perhaps with bots.
4) With another way to destroy trees, we need a way to plant them. Even just a seed/sapling entity that grows into a tree in, say, 40 game-days assuming no pollution. Get seeds/saplings from grown trees somehow.
5) Burning down a forest should make a huge pollution bloom.
6) Oil well fires!
7) Coal field fires!
8) A fire suppression device to deal with 6 and 7.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:36 am

deemer wrote:2) As someone else mentioned, fire spread should be biased in the direction of wind.
Looking at the gif, this already seems to be the case. The smoke leans to the left, and the fire seems to spread much faster in that direction.
Image

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by RobertTerwilliger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:54 am

DerTolleIgel wrote:Usually every forest has some kind of end.. and it is your decision to set a big forest on fire
No, no, no, I meant mechanics that allow to make "careful" burning - say, at healthy forest you could make a bit firing here and there just to clear some small areas - fire will spread, but will go out eventually. But if you keep raining fire on trees (say, 3-5 seconds on single spot, or few spots somewhat close to each other) - the fire spreading will result in chain reaction and eventually whole forest will burn out.
I mean, you shouldn't burn the world in a single match (unless it's very dry, e.g. desert dead grow). Also it'd be somewhat OP to easily burn forest natives' bases.
deemer wrote:With another way to destroy trees, we need a way to plant them
Must admit, it's a huge temptation to be able to guard yourself with a forest to reduce natives' annoyance. However it is very cool mechanics so we have to carefully treat nature if we don't want it striking back hardly, because it will never forgive us all that devastation. Kind of :D
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

Sinnersaix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Sinnersaix » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 am

i want to set the world on fire O_O

themightygugi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by themightygugi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:56 am

Please do NOT remove the green inserters!!!!

Even though there might be an overlap in functionality, the green inserters provide a very easy an convinient way to express simple logic without having to connect anything.

Also, I will probably break a lot of the Inserter mods which fill a huge gab in factorio. The amount of inserters currently, does not allow for enough flexibility when designing the factory layout.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Sinnersaix wrote:i want to set the world on fire O_O
I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

Maybe we could start a











flamewar?
Image

Carble
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:11 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Carble » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:14 am

Alternatively what you could do with the tree is to leave the gui as it is now, and when the user clicks on a research, all the required researched are highlighted a new color, like blue or something. Then we could see all the required researches without needing a brand new graphics

User avatar
Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Tallinu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:03 am

Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by ProphetofEden » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:49 am

YES THE FIRE TURRET THIS IS WHAT WE NEEDED BURN LITTLE BUGS

User avatar
jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:04 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by jockeril » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Tallinu wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.
Might be a homage to Fallout 4 ;)



or just a number they came up with :P
[request] RTL support please

Hebrew Translator for FARL & EvoGUI and much more

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !
Image

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users