Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by kovarex »

jockeril wrote:
Tallinu wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.
Might be a homage to Fallout 4 ;)

or just a number they came up with :P
I calculated the count of items needed, and it was 101 I believe, so I added 10, so you don't have to painfully wait for ever with one mining drill etc. until the automation 2 is researched.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

kovarex wrote:I calculated the count of items needed, and it was 101 I believe, so I added 10, so you don't have to painfully wait for ever with one mining drill etc. until the automation 2 is researched.
Well, then you have to add kinda "tier 2" achievement with exact minimum manual crafting for "real" achieving.
Never really paid attention to the very early items, but I believe, burner miner can be crafted with only assembler 1, doesn't it?
And it's probably even kinda more fun, cause it'll prolong burner age a bit : )
Also with 101 items needed you can name the achievement with some reference to old Disney's cartoon (guess which one)) E.g. "Enough Dalmatians already" or so...
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:Never really paid attention to the very early items, but I believe, burner miner can be crafted with only assembler 1, doesn't it?
No, the burner miner requires 3 items and can therefore only be made in an assembling machine 2 or 3.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

daniel34 wrote:
RobertTerwilliger wrote:Never really paid attention to the very early items, but I believe, burner miner can be crafted with only assembler 1, doesn't it?
No, the burner miner requires 3 items and can therefore only be made in an assembling machine 2 or 3.
That isn't good. In terms of this specific achievement : ) Indeed it'd be real pain to make "clear" achievement with only 1 drill and 1 assembler until assembler2 is invented... Well, it's only 110 red science packs between automation 1 and automation 2 : )
BUT

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

For true optimization, you need to hoard metal plates before you turn your starting furnace into a boiler. :P

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

DaveMcW wrote:For true optimization, you need to hoard metal plates before you turn your starting furnace into a boiler. :P
Just make enough to research automatization, and craft an assembler and a single more furnace - not actually "hoard". Keep in mind, copper plates are needed as well.
BUT

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Forest fire is so cool!

because we didn't destroy this foreign planet fast enough without it.

alan2here
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by alan2here »

Can trees spawn surrounding trees sometimes?

Can there be an achievement for completion on a small map size?

If the train one didn't allow fast or express conveyor, it would really encourage use of trains.

Can there be an option when starting a new game to state that you're going for one of these achievements, so you do not accidentally build the wrong things?

Some of the harder ones could also have mid game variants, mini speed run one for 1 roboport, 1 beacon and 1 (train or tank) :)

Perhaps also, smelt this much per (over an) hour with at most this many smelters.

One of the the earler game combat situations for me had a few lazer turrets, lots and lots of wall, an un-upgraded shotgun, some construction robots with repair packs, and no power amour. That long and epic war for one group of purple research parts, with lots of reloading the save, felt like it needed an achievement. :)

Whoever suggested high levels of recourses for the speed runs, thats a very good idea. Removes the randomness, or continually re-rolling your map seed at the start of the game.

Maja153
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maja153 »

The fire looks awesome! Can't wait! :)

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:I mean, you shouldn't burn the world in a single match (unless it's very dry, e.g. desert dead grow). Also it'd be somewhat OP to easily burn forest natives' bases.
It would give interesting tactical choices, if it was possible to burn alien nests and worms which are in forests. Spitter's acid could have limited ability to extinguish small fire, but bad forest fire would force enemies to leave their base and flee. However, they would move to nearby bases and set up large number of new nests there (at least 2 or 3 per burned nest). Player should think carefully is it advantageous to destroy one base easily at the cost of significant strengthening of nearby bases. There could also be a possibility to prevent moving if player can kill fleeing enemies before they reach neighbor bases, for example with wisely placed turrets or completely surrounding enemies with fire.

Forest growth rate should be adjustable from zero to some value like size and richness of ore fields. In normal games there are almost infinite number of trees in practical operating radius (thousands of units with trains) and irreversibility of forest destruction gives more interesting decisions than possibility to replace destroyed forest or control pollutions by planting new forest in optimal places. However, there are different maps and playstyles which may need growing.

TheGecko66
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheGecko66 »

Hey guys new gamer here and I'm very new to Factorio. I absolutely love the game but I will say that you guys should have easier achievements to keep casual gamers interested. I've put in about 6 hours so far and from the looks of it I won't be getting one anytime soon. Should start with baby steps "finish the tutorial" "build 10 turrets" "killed 1000 aliens" "produce 10k iron plates" it just seems that the achievements you do have are way far fetched and only people that are completely engrossed in the game will actually get. Mind you I don't plan on stopping but this could deter some people from getting into the game. Thanks for making an awesome game
!!

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

@TheGecko66
Hi! Achievements haven't been officially released yet as far as I know. You can see them on Steam, but I don't think you can unlock them yet. I assume that's the main reason.
But it's true that there seem to be few achievements to get early on. We'll just have to see how it turns out. :)

The next big update 0.13 will be released soon (tomorrow is the planned release date for it). Then, achievements will likely be part of the actual game. Note that that's going to be an experimental release which will be less stable/more buggy than the stable one you're probably playing on.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

TheGecko66 wrote:I've put in about 6 hours so far and from the looks of it I won't be getting one anytime soon.
Indeed :D Factorio takes loads of time. My very first map was about 75 hours until goal achieved (rocket launched). I explored the game features and so on, but that's way huge chunk of time killed :) So with your 6 hours you're at the VERY beginning of the game. If comparing to, say, half-life 1 - you have just arrived to the lab and going to find your powersuit ;D
Many of those achievements are quite easy to acquire - much easier than you think ;)
BUT

Stede
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stede »

FWIW, I've always found the horizontal scrolling tech tree in the Civ games to be nice. I know a single tree like this would be tough for factorio due to the branching. Sins of a Solar Empire did a nice job of separating techs into tabs - you'd just need to think of how to classify / categorize each.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Stede wrote:FWIW, I've always found the horizontal scrolling tech tree in the Civ games to be nice. I know a single tree like this would be tough for factorio due to the branching. Sins of a Solar Empire did a nice job of separating techs into tabs - you'd just need to think of how to classify / categorize each.
Just a friendly FYI: I don't remember where, but kovarex has stated he doesnt like the tech tree of the Civ games.
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

Stede wrote:FWIW, I've always found the horizontal scrolling tech tree in the Civ games to be nice. I know a single tree like this would be tough for factorio due to the branching. Sins of a Solar Empire did a nice job of separating techs into tabs - you'd just need to think of how to classify / categorize each.
There is nothing wrong with a horizontal tree if it is fitting to the tech-development in the game.
However, due to the fact that modern monitors tend to be a lot wider than high, it is mostly more convenient to go for a vertical tree if the tech-development tends to spread out rather than being linear.
IMO, this tends to be the case in Factorio.

PUNISHER989
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PUNISHER989 »

What I would like to see see is a customizable turret, basically you build the turret platform and you add what ever weapon you want,
For example, you build the turret platform and you put a shotty onto it. or a rocket launcher.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

PUNISHER989 wrote:What I would like to see see is a customizable turret, basically you build the turret platform and you add what ever weapon you want,
For example, you build the turret platform and you put a shotty onto it. or a rocket launcher.
Sounds like RedAlert reference ; )
If talking about somehow realism: if turret is fully automatic - it will have to have different control programs and probably multi-purpose devices, which would be a waste. E.g. rocket launcher have almost no recoil, while automatic shotgun will need recoil-proof basing. Flamethrower turret has to have some fire protection to avoid "accidents" etc.

While Wube promises some new turrets in further updates - I feel it's enough and will perfectly fit in conception of optimization, which is one of the keys of Factorio.

//Honestly, how often do you plan to switch weapons in your customizable turret?)))
BUT

PUNISHER989
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PUNISHER989 »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:
PUNISHER989 wrote:What I would like to see see is a customizable turret, basically you build the turret platform and you add what ever weapon you want,
Sounds like RedAlert reference ; )
If talking about somehow realism: if turret is fully automatic - it will have to have different control programs and probably multi-purpose devices, which would be a waste. E.g. rocket launcher have almost no recoil, while automatic shotgun will need recoil-proof basing. Flamethrower turret has to have some fire protection to avoid "accidents" etc.

While Wube promises some new turrets in further updates - I feel it's enough and will perfectly fit in conception of optimization, which is one of the keys of Factorio.

//Honestly, how often do you plan to switch weapons in your customizable turret?)))

Well at I'm at a point where I've kept going after the rocket and the onslaught of alien attacks is becoming insane, its not bases now, its all one base around me with behemoths, so having turrets that can handle crowd control can come in handy, a couple of shotty turrets for when they pack onto the wall and the rocket Launcher with High Explosive rockets dealing spread damage before contact.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

RobertTerwilliger wrote://Honestly, how often do you plan to switch weapons in your customizable turret?)))
It seems to me that a "biter combinator" is needed so that inserters can switch weapon module dynamically depending on the the immediate threat. :lol:

Return to โ€œNewsโ€