Friday Facts #124 - Steam Status I

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #124 - Steam Status I

Post by Nemoder »

Great news! I really hope you consider adding a steam 4-pack deal at a slight discount at some point.
I think multiplayer has the potential to bring in a lot of new players and bundles like that make it really easy to get friends to try the game.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

There will be no tiers on Steam. There will simply be one package with the game itself, which will also include the content of the scenario pack. The wallpapers will be made public for download. The 0.12 features a new soundtrack. We plan to make this available for purchase as a standalone DLC. This is meant for users who want to support us and our music composer beyond the scope of the game. This is probably all there will be available to begin with. We might add a possibility to get the name in the game as DLC in the future, but that is not decided yet.

On our webpage the tiers will be reduced to Transport Belt Repair Man (might lose the fancy name and become just "The Package"). This will be the game itself with the content of the scenario pack (same as on Steam). It is not clear yet if we sell the soundtrack as DLC on our webpage as well.

These changes come partly from the incentive to have the same content available on the Steam as on our webpage. Also there has been little attention from our side to update the content in the Furnace Attendant and Mining Drill Operator tiers. For instance the wallpapers or the graphical handbook are ridiculously outdated. We really appreciate players who have supported us by purchasing these tiers, however we feel that most of that additional content has become obsolete and it is time for a goodbye or reintegration to the basic game (as in case of scenario pack).
I understand the practical and business reason for this, but I disagree with the principle of this decision. I am a Mining Drill Operator. This soon to be obsolete tier should be left alone even if no mention of it is ever to be made again. The content and it's name sake should still exist if only to me. Thus I agree that Transport Belt Repair Man tier will be the only purchasable tier going forward. However, those who have purchased the older tier should be grandfathered when those tiers are no longer available. The principle of this is that we were sold a bill of goods, and even if those goods were not fully fulfilled, which you even admitted so, the bill should at least remain. This is fairness.
Scott has moved to Prague and has been working with us in our office since the beginning of this week. He has been spending most of his time reaching out to youtubers / streamers / bloggers and other potential marketing sources. Basically we are trying to prepare a sort of a "general public hit" alongside the Steam release. Even though we are directly "pushing the game out there" we would still appreciate the help from you guys, the community. We will be sending out a "call to arms" email when the game has launched officially notifying existing players that the game is now available on Steam. When the game has launched, it would be great to see existing players come over to leave a review, help out new players from Steam or invite their friends to join them for a game of Multiplayer. However if there is something you feel you could do to help promote the game even before it launches on Steam (i.e. recommending it to your favorite youtuber) that would be of a great help too.
I see little reason to help in any regard when you show such little regard for the principle of contract.
Last edited by Fatmice on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Fatmice wrote:I see little reason to help in any regard when you show such little regard for the principal of contract.
You paid for the game and the extras, you're getting the game and the extras. Where's the fraud? :roll:

Not that this attitude isn't to be expected, of course. It's why I dream of someday Kickstarting a game that is already finished and then release it for free as soon as the funds clear.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

You did not read what I wrote. Read it again. I was not talking about fraud but something else. If you don't understand what I am talking about, fine, but please don't warp what I said into something else. Thank you. ;)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Fatmice wrote:I understand the practical and business reason for this, but I disagree with the principal of this decision. I am a Mining Drill Operator. This soon to be obsolete tier should be left alone even if no mention of it is ever to be made again. The content and it's name sake should still exist if only to me. Thus I agree that Transport Belt Repair Man tier will be the only purchasable tier going forward. However, those who have purchased the older tier should be grandfathered when those tiers are no longer available. The principal of this is that we were sold a bill of goods, and even if those goods were not fully fulfilled, which you even admitted so, the bill should at least remain. This is fairness.
Mining Drill Operator
Put YOUR name in the game. Would you like to have a research lab named after you? Or a train station? The players will see that YOU contributed to the creation of Factorio every time they adjust schedule of their trains. Apart from this the tier includes our humble concept art book and access to our internal graphics wiki. The wiki is a google page so you need a google account to access it. Oh and the previous tiers are included of course.
If I'm correct, the name in the game thing remains, the access you got to the google account thingie for the internal graphic database probably won't be destroyed, the wallpapers will become publicly accessible - so you'll stil lhave them, so you will still have everything you paid for (except maybe the artbook).

However, what would be super extra neat, would be to add a couple Steam Achievements only people who have bought the game before Steam Launch will get. This could keep the different tiers, and get a nice description telling things like : "Transport belt repair man : Was confident enough to bet on the game while it was still in early development made by a yet to be known inide studio", "Mining Drill Operator : Was generous enough to support the aforementioned studio another bit to help providing the game. All players praise this guy, because the game might have not been so good if his kind hadn't been there".

You know, something to tell every Steam user in the world that at least a few drops in the Factorio sea are from this guy, who helped make things possible.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Koub wrote:You know, something to tell every Steam user in the world that at least a few drops in the Factorio sea are from this guy, who helped make things possible.
So now even the water tiles are getting backer names? ;)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Koub wrote:
If I'm correct, the name in the game thing remains, the access you got to the google account thingie for the internal graphic database probably won't be destroyed, the wallpapers will become publicly accessible - so you'll stil lhave them, so you will still have everything you paid for (except maybe the artbook).

However, what would be super extra neat, would be to add a couple Steam Achievements only people who have bought the game before Steam Launch will get. This could keep the different tiers, and get a nice description telling things like : "Transport belt repair man : Was confident enough to bet on the game while it was still in early development made by a yet to be known inide studio", "Mining Drill Operator : Was generous enough to support the aforementioned studio another bit to help providing the game. All players praise this guy, because the game might have not been so good if his kind hadn't been there".

You know, something to tell every Steam user in the world that at least a few drops in the Factorio sea are from this guy, who helped make things possible.
I wouldn't be so crass as to even expect such a thing. I do, however, expect that the principle of contract is understood. This is a gentleman's agreement after all and the decision to abolish those tiers flies in the face of such an agreement. I am quite disappointed, betrayed even, that this principle is not given weight during the decision process. The tier that I bought is the faith that I placed in the team and to throw that away so lightly, as if a used towel, is both upsetting and insulting. This sort of thing is very sensitive so it is disappointing to see that such little tact is employed, notwithstanding the practical and business side of things, in the making of such decision.

yago2003
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yago2003 »

Does this mean i bought furnace attendant for NOTHING?, cant we atleast get somethiing special?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

yago2003 wrote:Does this mean i bought furnace attendant for NOTHING?, cant we atleast get somethiing special?
Unlike your sentiment, I am not asking for anything special other than that the bill be left alone even if the goods were not completely delivered.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

HanziQ wrote:
Drury wrote:
AssaultRaven wrote:I paid for the scenario pack but I still definitely endorse making all content available to everyone in the same package. People who paid more can get, I don't know, free Golden Inserter DLC? :D

I remember reading you saying that there won't be DRM, does that mean the Steam version will also be DRM free? According to a developer of Good Robot, Steam actually doesn't require DRM; it's only at the developer's discretion. Is that true?
Pretty sure that's true as I own a couple Steam games that work even if Steam isn't running at all.
The game will require Steam to be running, but that's about it.
So you'll have one version with steamworks DRM and one without, available from the website, or both will require Steam?

Or do we have to wait for steam status II? :P

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Drury wrote:
HanziQ wrote:
Drury wrote:...
The game will require Steam to be running, but that's about it.
So you'll have one version with steamworks DRM and one without, available from the website, or both will require Steam?

Or do we have to wait for steam status II? :P
The Steam version of the game requires that Steam is running in the background, but the version you can download from the website will stay the same.
So you can
(1) continue using the version from the website without using steam at all,
(2) request a steam key and then exclusively use steam, or
(3) request a steam key for use on steam but also continue using the website
Our current approach is that the player's account at the website will co-exist with the Steam account (if requested). That means that player can download the game from our webpage or via the Steam. His / her choice. This is provided as a convenience for the existing players and the generated Steam keys are not meant to be distributed / given / sold to other people. We will put a clause about this into Terms & Conditions. In case that a significant portion of Steam keys would be given away / sold to other people then we reserve the right to alter the approach.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Thought so, never knew it was already a confirmed thing.

That's about the best solution anyway.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

So the steam version is no longer DRM free?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Fatmice wrote: I wouldn't be so crass as to even expect such a thing. I do, however, expect that the principle of contract is understood. This is a gentleman's agreement after all and the decision to abolish those tiers flies in the face of such an agreement. I am quite disappointed, betrayed even, that this principle is not given weight during the decision process. The tier that I bought is the faith that I placed in the team and to throw that away so lightly, as if a used towel, is both upsetting and insulting. This sort of thing is very sensitive so it is disappointing to see that such little tact is employed, notwithstanding the practical and business side of things, in the making of such decision.

Some other users of the Furnace attendant tier also expressed concern with this, so next week we will brainstorm some ways of thanking you and the other furnace attendant members.
If you have any suggestions of extra content you would like to see, please let me know.

sunfyer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sunfyer »

What about the mods in the steam version of Factorio ? Will they be published via steam workshop or as usual via the forum downloads ?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I bought the game from the website and have no clue about tiers, so I have no dog in this fight, but I understand the feelings of people who were early supporters, especially if they paid more than needed to get the content.

Many games with a strong community / early adopter support have some way of honouring those users, as they took a risk by paying money into something that didn't exist yet. For example, "Vendetta Online" allows old-time users to fly in the old designs of certain ships (i.e. old graphics, same specs) and released an anniversary edition of a ship to subscribers at the time of their Nth anniversary. On the other hand, I understand that the devs want to make the scenario pack available as part of the basic package, and want to move to a mature "one tier" structure rather than a kickstarter tiered structure.

My advice would be to stick with the decision to sell a game on steam that is as complete as possible, i.e. including the scenarios; but show your respect for the support of the early adopters by giving them something for free that is visible in the game (screenshots) and/or forums, but has no influence on gameplay. A reskinned inserter make sense, or a cool avatar, or a special building without any functionality such as an obelisk or statue. This does not have to be finished on release day, but it would be good to show that you appreciate their earlier support.

Concrete proposal: Add an "oldsmobile" or "steampunk" inserter, with lots of extra cogs and sparks, that is both more expensive to build and slower than the yellow inserter. Using this inserter shows that (1) you belong to a very special class of people, and (2) that your factory is big and bad-ass enough to not need optimized inserters. And somehow using three super-expensive steampunk inserters where normally one cheap yellow would have sufficed can't look anything else than cool, right?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Klonan wrote: Some other users of the Furnace attendant tier also expressed concern with this, so next week we will brainstorm some ways of thanking you and the other furnace attendant members.
If you have any suggestions of extra content you would like to see, please let me know.
I do not have any requests other than the things I've outlined. It looks like others want to see a physical token but I do not care one way or the other. I simply care that the principle of the contract be observed and understood. With this, perhaps I am much more easily pleased than others. It is the action that matters, not the tokens.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Theace98 wrote:Steam on the 25th? I guess I need to start putting together word docs for guides of the game to help the new players. And think of a good review to write as after losing a lot of time already to Fortress Craft Evolved Factorio is going to need all the help to go big on steam.

And the bonus screen is a nice addition as it means I no longer going to have stare at the research screen to figure out which bonuses I have.

Can't wait to see Factorio on steam.
There is a dedicated guide already.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

Regarding Furnace Attendant and Mining Drill Operator tiers and means of thanking them:

Furnace Attendants now have the scenario pack as part of the main game.
I personally have received a great game from very open minded developers who care about their game and community, so it wouldn't be the end of the world getting nothing new. But I'm not the only one, and for me, it also is seems somewhat wrong. On the other hand, we get the great freedom of choosing wheter or not to use Steam, the website, or both, so I wouldn't blame you for just streamlining the content of the game like you do.

Having new exclusive content would be a very bad idea. Some people who have it might not be interested in it, some others who might want it won't be able to get it. Nobody's really going to be happy about that.

Making exclusive achievements as Kuob suggested seems like an uncommon means and one that also reminds me of Warner "compensating" PC users for the terrible Arkham Knight port by giving a free DLC to them one week earlier. This isn't really an advantage for us, it just sucks for everyone else. How am I spposed to feel good because others can't get 100% completion for the game anymore? That'd be terrible.*

They (we) could get some sort of shoutout on the website or maybe an option for a purely visual change in the game only for these accounts (like some kind of badge in the main menu or silly visual changes, rainbow inserters etc.). That surely is no very valuable compensation to many people, though. Some will not want it at all. And at what point is a purely cosmetical bonus new exclusive content?

The only thing that would make sense as a thank you is getting the soundtrack DLC for free, especially as I don't know of plans for any other DLC (Except possibly the Space Platform DLC/ Data Disc).
I assume you already payed your composer for his work? But I don't know for how much you intend to sell it.
Offering an "exclusive discount" for it as only compensation would suck, because that's just a business move to make money from people that otherwise wouldn't have bothered buying something. Eventually, in a Steam sale, the soundtrack would certainly also get a similar discount, so this still wouldn't be that special.

Mining Drill Operators keep their names in the game, and have access to everything they used to have. Nothing really changes, except for the scenario pack, right? Or is there something that wasn't delivered yet?
Same as above would apply here, although, as they payed considerably more, I thing giving the soundtrack to them certainly wouldn't be too much to ask.

*I don't think there's a way to implement achievements on Steam that only certain people have in the game. They can be invisible until they unlock, but still count to everyone's statistics. Also, they can still be unlocked by hacking. I may be wrong about all these point though.

@Fatmice
I'm a fan of your fancy language skills, but you don't really use them in a way that helps anyone. What are you talking about anyway? About parts of the Mining Drill Operator tier not being delivered? About the scenario pack being distributed for free now? Or just the fact that no one will ever be able to buy such a tier again? What specific contract are you referencing? It sounded to me as if you only wish to be able to access your tier's bonuses even after the Steam release date. Which is certainly going to be the case. I highly doubt Wube intends to take away all bonuses, as stated repeatedly in answers to you. Why would they not allow downloading them anymore? The post suggests they're just not selling them as a bonus anymore.

If you ask me, they should still be available for these tiers on the website in the future, even though they're not up to date. Is that what you wanted to say, too?
Also, I didn't see anyone ask for a physical reward yet. That'd be ridiculous.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

In contrast to all of the replies to FFF I've made: if the game goes Steam-only, that'll be the day I can no longer update Factorio again, and will be stuck on the previous version. It would have been a good run.

Return to “News”