Friday Facts #120 - Spidertron

Regular reports on Factorio development.
The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #120 - Spidertron

Post by The Phoenixian »

Don't worry, there are other spiderbots to hope for it to look like.

Like this one!

Oh, whoops, it looks like I took that one...
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

Mmmmm Spidertron. :-D
I hope it has big ass plasma cannon and a gatling lasercannon.

I also hope all vehicles in the future will allow passangers!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Spider from Wild Wild West was amazing and very suitable for Factiorio. Also my first thought after seeing Spidetron was spider from WWW movie.

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Holy crap!

That Spidertron. :o

Nugetto
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nugetto »

That Spidertron looks impressive! :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

kovarex wrote:Mostly work in progress updates, here it is: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120
When does the SpiderTron thingie become available? Same depth in the tech tree as the Car? Tank? Logo/Con Robots? It'd be a really cool thing to have to be able to get around inside the factory quickly in the early or early-mid game phase.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

SWSe wrote:The new concrete looks really good, and so seems the spidertron. Obviously, I thought you were gonna add some kind of arachnoid enemies when talking about a surpsire with 8 legs ;) Awesome!
That was my assumption too, when the devs started talking about spiders, that it was some kind of new mobile enemy, in addition to the Biters and Spitters. I also had the impression that these new spider enemies would be able to climb over Walls so that you had to use Turrets to keep them in check.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

The Phoenixian wrote:Don't worry, there are other spiderbots to hope for it to look like.

Like this one!
/MonkeylordImage/

Oh, whoops, it looks like I took that one...
The Monkeylord isn't a spider though, it's more like a beetle ;)

Theace98
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Theace98 »

I'd like to see a tri-pod like thing, like from war of the worlds. Obviously with 8 legs and laser in the visible spectrum rather than infared. As for the concrete the graphics look much better, the grey cement under the concrete tiles always bugged me.
I typically play Factorio, Minecraft, Rimworld, Starsector, Prison Architect and Stardrive 2. Oh and add XCOM, FTL and Homeworld. And Transport Tycoon...

Quite frankly, it's a miracle I get anything done.

TheTomCZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheTomCZ »

That Spidertron vehicle looks awesome! I hope it can interact with factories etc., so I can manage my factory from it, it certainly has enough limbs to do it :-) Or maybe basic version cannot and some upgraded spidertron can?
I WANT IT RIGHT NOW! :-)

SteelGiant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SteelGiant »

Of course this opens the door for a new class of giant spider enemy biters. This would add great variety to the available enemies in the game, as well as interesting new mechanics if they're able to walk over walls and small tracts of water.

I, for one, welcome our new hideous arachnid overlords.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

that spider is terrifying.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Awesome Spidertron, exactly what I was expecting, a player vehicle when you hinted at it in previous Friday facts.

Looking forward to playing with it :)

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

The graphics department was not happy enough with the concrete. The concrete tileset is now more consistent with the Factorio style.
Concrete looked destroyed and this is a factorio style ? dingy ? when they will be look like that, immediately or after some time (200 years) ?
This is the very early preview of the first tests of the Spidertron movement mechanics. As you can see it is an alternative vehicle usable by the player. It can overcome small water bodies and obstacles easily. The graphics is obviously just a placeholder, but enough to get the idea.
So legs will not be created with inserters, you know it looks little creepy when he standing and still is moving it looks like breathed "IT'S ALIVE!!!".

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Yeah, I'll mod back the old style if this is how concrete is going to look. Since when is "broken" the Factorio style?

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

I am super excited for the Spidertron!!!! Looks amazing even with placeholder graphics, but one has to wonder, will it have weapon capabilities, and how healthy will it be? I'm always fighting behemoth biters, so strong armor is required. Either way, I totally love this <3

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

AssaultRaven wrote:Yeah, I'll mod back the old style if this is how concrete is going to look. Since when is "broken" the Factorio style?
Since the start of developing this awsome game.

All should look shabby or worn but work perfectly.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I agree. The "vibe" is cyberpunk / early industrial functionalist (think steel mills, pittsburgh mill towns, detroit, chicago), not sleek modernist stainless steel and glass (houston, current pittsburgh downtown). The concrete should be functional where you place it, but a bit ragged on the edges because no one cared enough to build a good casing before pouring it. I agree with the new graphics :)

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

That spider should be made out of 8 fast inserters, 8 electric engines a big hunk of steel and some circuit boards :)

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
AssaultRaven wrote:Yeah, I'll mod back the old style if this is how concrete is going to look. Since when is "broken" the Factorio style?
Since the start of developing this awsome game.

All should look shabby or worn but work perfectly.

Where did you get such information ? you are a developer?
I agree. The "vibe" is cyberpunk / early industrial functionalist (think steel mills, pittsburgh mill towns, detroit, chicago), not sleek modernist stainless steel and glass (houston, current pittsburgh downtown). The concrete should be functional where you place it, but a bit ragged on the edges because no one cared enough to build a good casing before pouring it. I agree with the new graphics :)

Have you ever worked in a factory? At one time i work in elektrolux, I was doing at the belt (il be inserter ) and there was not a gram of dirt, factory has a clean concrete roads (
Blocks are much bigger than the game) they are not destroyed because riding on them carts with supplies for belt ( interesting ) carts have
wheels with solid rubber, so everything must be perfect . And that's happen now in 2015 and the game goes on 2500 wher is logic?
no one cared enough to build a good casing before pouring it

Who no carred ? Assembling machine ? If that happens in your factory you should start thinking about quality control or something :roll:
If you want to add better visuals, you should add the dust that causes with time concrete disappearance. and and marks when we walking on it.
and vacuum cleaner .The leaves of the trees carried by the wind, concrete leave in peace

Return to “News”