Friday Facts #120 - Spidertron

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #120 - Spidertron

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Pohybel wrote:
Phillip_Lynx wrote:
AssaultRaven wrote:Yeah, I'll mod back the old style if this is how concrete is going to look. Since when is "broken" the Factorio style?
Since the start of developing this awsome game.

All should look shabby or worn but work perfectly.

Where did you get such information ? you are a developer?
No, I am not a developer (of this game), but it was mentioned in some of the FFFs and many threads in this forum (by developers and artist of factorio),

[edit]
to your other quotes, this is a game and not reality.
[/edit]

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

I've honestly never thought of the existing Factorio art-style as "shabby."

"More exposed gears and levers than might strictly be practical," but not "shabby." Just because the gears aren't polished brass and chrome doesn't mean they equate to "cracked and ragged."

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

which does not mean the game does not have the logic,it is hard for me to explain why something that has been made immediately have to look like the destroyed.
if it would cause external conditions it would be understandable, but no reason not. I do not claim this is a bad idea no but i ask how will be looked machanic process aging?
I think will be good idea add this to campaign where we inherit destroyed base.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Pohybel wrote:

which does not mean the game does not have the logic,it is hard for me to explain why something that has been made immediately have to look like the destroyed.
if it would cause external conditions it would be understandable, but no reason not. I do not claim this is a bad idea no but i ask how will be looked machanic process aging?
I think will be good idea add this to campaign where we inherit destroyed base.
Factorio artstyle takes from these sources:

1. Dieselpunk
2. Steampunk
35343453. Realism

It's pure fantasy.

By the way, don't you find it weird how literally everything that you build is also dirty, worn, rusted and leaking?

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

1. Dieselpunk
2. Steampunk
35343453. Realism

It's pure fantasy.

By the way, don't you find it weird how literally everything that you build is also dirty, worn, rusted and leaking?

Maybe for you and for the people who looking for own prism but not for my, i often watch reviews and in games like this are particularly checked at level of realism.
factorio is strongly technical sandbox, and speaking is realism in this game is not important is abstraction.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Pohybel wrote:

1. Dieselpunk
2. Steampunk
35343453. Realism

It's pure fantasy.

Maybe for you and for the people who looking for own prism but not for my, i often watch reviews and in games like this are particularly checked at level of realism.
factorio is strongly technical sandbox, and speaking is realism in this game is not important is abstraction.
Maybe not for you.
And maybe (great maybe) not for me. [edit]<-- not sure if I translated this right, I am a german speaking guy. In german the great maybe means 'there is a very little chance that I dont like it'[/edit]

But it is a decision the Devs have done.

So I am fine with it.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Yes but our opinions also are important, we are beta tester, it's necessary that everything was done from the beginning to the end, sometimes a small idea can be big challenge
if we want to working properly. And at this moment arises a question is it priority, and other things are not important?

spazza360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spazza360 »

Pohybel wrote:Yes but our opinions also are important, we are beta tester, it's necessary that everything was done from the beginning to the end, sometimes a small idea can be big challenge
if we want to working properly. And at this moment arises a question is it priority, and other things are not important?
The devs make the game they want to make, we get some input, but they make the final decision.

If you don't like what they create, make a mod to change it.
If you don't want to make a mod, politely ask someone else to make one.
If you still don't like it, don't play the game at all.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Pohybel wrote:

Yes but our opinions also are important, we are beta tester, it's necessary that everything was done from the beginning to the end, sometimes a small idea can be big challenge
Well I guess you have a point that you are expected to give feedback, however weird it may be.

Just saying it doesn't necessarily shield you from criticism from the rest of the community.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hello guys, this is the Moderator me speaking. I do understand you're all passionnate about Factorio (and that's fine). But we're starting to drift a little imho. every one has his opinion, all opinions are welcome :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

battlefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by battlefish »

Hey, did you guys accidentally delete your blog? It's showing up blank for me...

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Can't find any blogs anymore https://www.factorio.com/blog
Waste of bytes : P

TheWrongCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheWrongCat »

Yup. I usually read the FFF on a Monday morning, just had a quick peek and nothing to be found Q_Q.

There is something about a gigantic spider bot in this post too, which makes it particularly upsetting that I can't read it :P

EDIT: As of 0940hrs UTC it appears fixed :)

EDIT2: Those movement mechanics for the spidertron are absolutely incredible. The ability to escape over the water like that is a complete game-changer.

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

Pohybel wrote:

1. Dieselpunk
2. Steampunk
35343453. Realism

It's pure fantasy.

The concrete texture in the game at the time of me writing this (January 11th) looks too cleans, square, and shiny.
You have actually played the game yourself, right?
Just in case you didn't notice, you have landed/crashed/whatevered onto a hostile alien world. You literally start with almost nothing. This means you are all by yourself(or you have a few friends) which means there aren't billions of people to provide products to you like bleach or cleaning agents. There aren't any companies in the world to provide things to you. There isn't a government to make sure regulations are in place and things are kept in proper condition. You are all alone on this massive planets with hostile enemies that can and will destroy you and everything you have created if you aren't careful.

Lets think about this. The conveyor belts are moving ore and products around. Ore is metals and dirt clumped together, very unsanitary. The furnaces are billowing smoke and creating pollution, they're filthy and dirty. The drills are large, and create their own pollution and dirt everywhere. Assemblers are unorganized but functional, gears and levers poke out and run cycles constantly. The colors of everything aren't shiny, clean, or sanitary. The belts are grey, assemblers even with paint are rusted and worn looking. The robots are grey with yellow paint, rusted, and dirt caked. Trains and their wagons are dull, the paint is worn and torn in places, and rust, decay, and dirt are very much present. Inserters are somewhat crude looking, especially the burner ones, they move things around all the time, they pick up the dirty worn things and move them around. They're rusted and even though they have paint, it's worn in places. None of these things look new. The brick floor you can place is dark grey, it supports everything moving on top of it and certainly collects dirt and grime constantly. Not to mention the footprints and biter corpses of attacks. The walls are sloped and turrets are partially grey, but they still look worn and torn, but always functional.

The nameless protagonist controlled by you doesn't have a backstory. But even if he did, he's still alone. He can't go to the store and buy bags of concrete or bleach. Our protagonist must survive on this world with only his wits. He must create all that he can to protect himself and work on possibly getting off the planet and home. He quickly puts together inserters, drills, belts, and assemblers to make the things he needs to survive. He makes guns and clips of ammo to defend himself from hoards of enemy biters and spiters that constantly attack him from all sides. He must survive. When he is laying concrete he isn't going to be thinking to himself "I have to make perfect squares and perform constant upkeep on them to keep them shiny" no, no, no. He makes the concrete in great complicated machines that mix together iron, water, and dirty stone and then pours it quickly, unevenly, and efficiently over the ground to further his progress in this world. He needs to survive, needs to keep making things, keep designing. He himself in not even clean. Neither are cars nor tanks. The factory runs on power mostly provided by steam engines burning coal to heat water to steam as they chug away to further his machine.

One false move and he could die. He could slip and crack his head, be impaled by an inserter, or eaten alive by the vicous biters, even melted by the acid of the spitters. No where is safe, no where is clean, this isn't some government regulated factory that has thousands of workers, managers, and ceo's.

THIS. IS. FACTORIO!

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

he concrete texture in the game at the time of me writing this (January 11th) looks too cleans, square, and shiny.
You have actually played the game yourself, right?
Just in case you didn't notice, you have landed/crashed/whatevered onto a hostile alien world. You literally start with almost nothing. This means you are all by yourself(or you have a few friends) which means there aren't billions of people to provide products to you like bleach or cleaning agents. There aren't any companies in the world to provide things to you. There isn't a government to make sure regulations are in place and things are kept in proper condition. You are all alone on this massive planets with hostile enemies that can and will destroy you and everything you have created if you aren't careful.

Lets think about this. The conveyor belts are moving ore and products around. Ore is metals and dirt clumped together, very unsanitary. The furnaces are billowing smoke and creating pollution, they're filthy and dirty. The drills are large, and create their own pollution and dirt everywhere. Assemblers are unorganized but functional, gears and levers poke out and run cycles constantly. The colors of everything aren't shiny, clean, or sanitary. The belts are grey, assemblers even with paint are rusted and worn looking. The robots are grey with yellow paint, rusted, and dirt caked. Trains and their wagons are dull, the paint is worn and torn in places, and rust, decay, and dirt are very much present. Inserters are somewhat crude looking, especially the burner ones, they move things around all the time, they pick up the dirty worn things and move them around. They're rusted and even though they have paint, it's worn in places. None of these things look new. The brick floor you can place is dark grey, it supports everything moving on top of it and certainly collects dirt and grime constantly. Not to mention the footprints and biter corpses of attacks. The walls are sloped and turrets are partially grey, but they still look worn and torn, but always functional.

The nameless protagonist controlled by you doesn't have a backstory. But even if he did, he's still alone. He can't go to the store and buy bags of concrete or bleach. Our protagonist must survive on this world with only his wits. He must create all that he can to protect himself and work on possibly getting off the planet and home. He quickly puts together inserters, drills, belts, and assemblers to make the things he needs to survive. He makes guns and clips of ammo to defend himself from hoards of enemy biters and spiters that constantly attack him from all sides. He must survive. When he is laying concrete he isn't going to be thinking to himself "I have to make perfect squares and perform constant upkeep on them to keep them shiny" no, no, no. He makes the concrete in great complicated machines that mix together iron, water, and dirty stone and then pours it quickly, unevenly, and efficiently over the ground to further his progress in this world. He needs to survive, needs to keep making things, keep designing. He himself in not even clean. Neither are cars nor tanks. The factory runs on power mostly provided by steam engines burning coal to heat water to steam as they chug away to further his machine.

One false move and he could die. He could slip and crack his head, be impaled by an inserter, or eaten alive by the vicous biters, even melted by the acid of the spitters. No where is safe, no where is clean, this isn't some government regulated factory that has thousands of workers, managers, and ceo's.

THIS. IS. FACTORIO!
Very cool but there is one question who will write code for this, and you write about other things who designed to look aging and dirt I wonder what graphic depertament thoughts about this,It began with one thing and ends on total changing the entire graphics. And here is my questtion whether it is now the most important thing ?

themightygugi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by themightygugi »

Why put effort into building more vehicles when we rarely use the ones that already exist?

Zemerson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zemerson »

Spidertron in SPACE!!
(once space is canon of course) :P

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

themightygugi wrote:Why put effort into building more vehicles when we rarely use the ones that already exist?
I use the car, tank and trains all the time.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

_aD wrote:
themightygugi wrote:Why put effort into building more vehicles when we rarely use the ones that already exist?
I use the car, tank and trains all the time.
So you are the one. :lol:

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

Trains are the backbone of my factory. Without trains, my factory would shutdown within minutes.
The car & tank are the more useless stuff.

I have a outpost-train with many items I need to set up an outpost & connect it to my existing network. I used to use the car for that, but the train can be sent back to resupply while I'm building to fetch me more supplies.
And the tank... Usually I have a power armor ready before I research the tank, and it surpasses it in almost every way.

Return to “News”