From the presented ones I must say I like the original logo the most.
Things that bother me in new ones are next:
1. New gear with only 8 teeth actually doesn't look like gear to me especially not with stripe based hole in the middle instead of the round one.
2. I don't like flatnes of the new fonts. They just seem as 3D representation of regular single colored font. But if you take a look at original Factorio logo font it seems that it has double edges. So even if old Factorio logo font is just in 2D it doesn't seem as just baing that. It has this 3D feel (like looking at 3D font from topdown perspective).
3. I personally think that placing gearwheel instead of last O is a mistake. To me it seems much better if it is placed instead of first O. But I can see ho placing this 8 teht gearwheel on first O place could give you feeling as it splits Factorio in two parts "Fact-O-rio". But I belive that is not becouse of the placment itself but becouse of the bad gearwheel look as it doesn't quite similar to O as I already mentioned above.
4. And finally I dislike the new logo colors or lack of it. It is the richness/liveliness of original Factorio logo that makes it even more atractive.
I personally don't understand the general trend of using monotonus colours that is present these days. I mean just take a look at many programs you can find these days on computers and compare them to similar programs in past. Back in the days when computers were barely capable of rendering 256 individual colors some programs looked more lively than the programs nowadays when computers are capable of rendering 32 milions of individual colors.
So what are my suggestions for improvment? That depends on whay you actually want to improve.
If you want to improve the splash/loading screen then I suggest next:
- keep the original logo or if necessary change the base font but retain font color and that double edge effect on it
- keep the gearwheen as it is and make it be a part of coveyor belt that is moving from one side of the screen to another
- put some inserters in the background of how they are placing some objects on this conveyor belt
So in the end this should look as sideway recording of a busy conveyor belt section.
This would definitly show the main goal of the game and would actually make watching splash/loading screen enjoyable.
Now if you want to make logo suitable so that it can be potentionaly printed out on a box (if you ever decide to sell boxed versiuon of the game) none of the new fonts won't be verry suitable. Why?
Becouse their height. For them to look similar they would have to be bulged out to much. This would in the end make them look bad and be unpractical as tey could damage quite quickly during shippinh.
Using existing font for this would be excelent becouse of its double edge look (you can easily make font to be a bit bulged out from the box and double edge would reduce the chances for this font to get damaged).
Now if you want to make logo so that it can be easily printed out ot a T-shirt then you are forced to use simple color and preferably no 3D look. While 3D look seems apealing when you are looking at it from certain perspective it loses all of its apeal when you are loking it from different perspective (try looking at 3D font and watching your monitor from the side).
I might give you some more suggestions but I would first like to know more about where you intend to use this logo. There isn't any logo design which would be suitable for everywhere.
Besides this post is getting pretty long already