Random Ramblings #11

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Random Ramblings #11

Post by Psycho0124 »

Yeah, I might be a little prejudiced against Flash SSDs. I jumped into SSDs in the early 2000s for a server I was running and was really burned by the short lifespans (especially at the price I paid).
Hopefully you guys are right and the drive lasts! Maybe the tech is finally coming around! :)

I did read another neat article on the Samsung TLC type drives. The stress-tested a pair of them to death, simulating many years of use. The end result was a prediction of several decades of regular use:
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/ha ... conclusion

Also, it's a little dated now but I've used one of these for several years in my server box. It's gloriously fast and carries no risk of wear-out since it uses DDR2 instead of flash.
ACard ANS-9010

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Wow, I didn't even know there were SSD's for sale back then. I've only been following the tech since around 2008. Must've been some crazy prices :P
Several websites did the same tests(I read a few dutch ones), all of them find really good lifespans.

Also, that ram disk is probably not the best for important work when you don't have an UPS attached. I'm using RAMdisk software for games myself, really brings down the access times on large files. Sometimes from more than 1s to the ms range.
Ignore this

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The problem of SSDs is not the lifespan of the flash memory, but the controller. The large part of faulty SSDs has functioning flash and an problem with the controller. (Maybe that was different a few years ago.)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Few more advices to those using SSD's:
- disable Windows defragmantation of SSD drive becouse Windows defrag does lots of data moving back and forth
- also disabling or athleast limit file indexing could also reduce the read/writes numbers that Windows does.
- if you are using uTorrent make sure that its temp folder isn't on SSD. uTorrent does lots of reading and writing from/into its own chache that it creates in its temp folder. This could reduce the SSD's lifespan a LOT.
- if your SSD suports TRIM function make sure that you OS uses it as it can speed up read/write processes. There was some problems of Windows not enabling this function even when SSD supports it.

Return to “News”