Friday Facts #103 - Prototyping ahead

Regular reports on Factorio development.
ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #103 - Prototyping ahead

Post by ratchetfreak »

roman566 wrote:Sigh... I wanted to play the game without using exploits. So no 'pole of victory'. If I destroy a base that's because I plan on building something there, not because I plan to place a single electric pole so the base does not respawn.
Now I know that's nearly impossible. I HAVE to kill all bases within the dark red pollution area to stop attacks like that. It did magically made my base an oasis of peace, but I stopped loosing turrets every minute or so. THAT is why I think we need bigger turrets. So the player can defend the base WITHOUT relying on that single exploit.
you can make single turret outposts as advanced forward bases

It'll push back the spawners and attract the biters so that if they attack they will "reclaim" territory necessitating you to go back and repair/reclaim

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

ratchetfreak wrote:
roman566 wrote:Sigh... I wanted to play the game without using exploits. So no 'pole of victory'. If I destroy a base that's because I plan on building something there, not because I plan to place a single electric pole so the base does not respawn.
Now I know that's nearly impossible. I HAVE to kill all bases within the dark red pollution area to stop attacks like that. It did magically made my base an oasis of peace, but I stopped loosing turrets every minute or so. THAT is why I think we need bigger turrets. So the player can defend the base WITHOUT relying on that single exploit.
you can make single turret outposts as advanced forward bases

It'll push back the spawners and attract the biters so that if they attack they will "reclaim" territory necessitating you to go back and repair/reclaim
I tried that in 0.11. Did not work very well. As long as main attacks ignored the outpost, everything was fine. The first main attack hitting it and bam. Half of the turrets are gone. Now it might be a bit better with bigger turrets. But if I wanted to make them large enough to repel large attacks along with close enough to block any access to the main area, I might as well build a normal turret wall. Which requires, you know, turrets. And power. And supplying repair packs.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

hitzu wrote:Also a good tactic is to avoid 90 degree corners. Turrets and walls on the corners are the most vulnerable, so it would be good to make 45 degree sections.

In the hot spots where the attaks are most harsh you could spread the damage across the long section of the wall by pushing biters and spitters to the left and right using fast or express belts.

Land mines could be a good solution too.

And in the end - trains! Trains are death machines! Just make a loop or two around your base or just on one front, give trains a good space for acceleration, make repair stations inside your base and you have the Belt of the Inevitable Death! :twisted:
I always wanted to make one, but I play on much more friendly maps where the attacks are rare and death trains wouldn't work. You have a great chance to test this tactic ;)
Last time I tried this, this happened.

Return to “News”