Friday Facts #101 - The players are real people

Regular reports on Factorio development.
LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #101 - The players are real people

Post by LordFedora »

Yttrium wrote:Im posting this really really late but the first image is definitely a seatbelt Kappa.
Nah, that very clearly is either a transistor, or judging on the heat-sink it's probably a motor controller

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Thanx for nothing @slpwnd , there is still a friday facts update with the word slavery in big letters and a paragraph that belittles the suffering that modern slaves and my ancestors had to endure at the hands of heartless monsters eho insisted there was nothing wrong with their words or actions. I asked you to remove it and the best you can say to me is "we'll never belittle slavery again". Maybe you think this is about money for the arts or something, like I'm some EU political guy and I'm not. I could care less if EVERY friday facts has politics in it, but I can't even begin to understand why you would be offensive to certain cultures like that. I know it was an accident but it isn't an accident anymore when I ask for you to remove your inflammatory and bigoted language from your official site. Let me right it in caps so you understand, YOU WERE ACCIDENTALLY RACIST TO AFRICAN AMERICANS, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR ACCIDENTAL RACISM ASAP. I understand the devs are european, but trust and believe me when I say that in America (where I imagine a good portion of your sales happen) posts like that cause people to flip out, boycott, ban, protest, etc etc. I can't believe that making a political stand on art b/s is more important than being racially sensitive. This isn't over just because a week has passed and the next ff hit, and if I have to petition my local chamber of commerce and city council to get your product banned in my town, I will. Granted, you are not in walmart or best buy (yet) but if you ever get in, your product will be available in every community in america except those that have a black majority in power. Were I am from, we do not let people talk like that and then call them friend if they wont see the error of their ways. You'll have to find your own path to racial sensitivity without me and the other pissed off africans in your community.

I'm calling my bank tomorrow (monday) to dispute the charges and get my money back for the most initiative game I've ever enjoyed. Thanks alot you idiots! All you had to do was even pretend it was a mistranslation issue and you didn;t realize slavery meant, ya know, actual slavery. Please at least lie to me, all I need is that tiny grey area to tell myself you care about your fans enough not to say racially insensitive things, or to redact those statements if you slip up innocently.

edit: if anyone in the US wants help disputing the charges getting a refund, message me on this forum account. When you call the bank's corporate branch it won't matter if your local bank teller tells you that your purchase happened years ago because the company we bought from only recently made it's racist remarks about slavery. As long as you say "I was sent racially discriminating materials and it was a criminal offense" and "i intend on going forward with legal action against that company" then the bank has alot more leverage to get you a refund even years after your purchase. I don't know what to tell you if you didn't run the purchase thru a bank or a credit card. We'll let GOG and other distributors call and ask the bank why the bank has legal grounds to deduct money from their accounts and see if they don't pressure factorio dev's to remove their racist postings. I'm going to read amazon's hosting policy and see if I can have the site's page removed as a hate site, but that is pretty unlikely with free speech laws and all.

black lives matter

aureon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aureon »

Are you sure that's the war you want to fight?

You're against videogames being partially publicly funded as cultural projects?

That's a.. bewildering stance to take.
kovarex wrote:
xng wrote:I even bet Factorio didn't apply for the development grant like the other 31 companies from all around Europe did.
Of course we didn't apply.
Why wouldn't you?
I mean, i'm happy to support this game directly by buying it, but if a small % of my taxes go in funding videogames, that's even better?
We're talking millionths of the total tax revenue here, not huge projects. And CD PRoject RED is hardly that corporate giant like Ubisoft or know what.

There's no glory in going against the bureaucratic grain, especially in a brand new field as indie videogame development is.

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

therapist wrote:Thanx for nothing @slpwnd , there is still a friday facts update with the word slavery in big letters and a paragraph that belittles the suffering that modern slaves and my ancestors had to endure at the hands of heartless monsters eho insisted there was nothing wrong with their words or actions. I asked you to remove it and the best you can say to me is "we'll never belittle slavery again". Maybe you think this is about money for the arts or something, like I'm some EU political guy and I'm not. I could care less if EVERY friday facts has politics in it, but I can't even begin to understand why you would be offensive to certain cultures like that. I know it was an accident but it isn't an accident anymore when I ask for you to remove your inflammatory and bigoted language from your official site. Let me right it in caps so you understand, YOU WERE ACCIDENTALLY RACIST TO AFRICAN AMERICANS, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR ACCIDENTAL RACISM ASAP. I understand the devs are european, but trust and believe me when I say that in America (where I imagine a good portion of your sales happen) posts like that cause people to flip out, boycott, ban, protest, etc etc. I can't believe that making a political stand on art b/s is more important than being racially sensitive. This isn't over just because a week has passed and the next ff hit, and if I have to petition my local chamber of commerce and city council to get your product banned in my town, I will. Granted, you are not in walmart or best buy (yet) but if you ever get in, your product will be available in every community in america except those that have a black majority in power. Were I am from, we do not let people talk like that and then call them friend if they wont see the error of their ways. You'll have to find your own path to racial sensitivity without me and the other pissed off africans in your community.

I'm calling my bank tomorrow (monday) to dispute the charges and get my money back for the most initiative game I've ever enjoyed. Thanks alot you idiots! All you had to do was even pretend it was a mistranslation issue and you didn;t realize slavery meant, ya know, actual slavery. Please at least lie to me, all I need is that tiny grey area to tell myself you care about your fans enough not to say racially insensitive things, or to redact those statements if you slip up innocently.

edit: if anyone in the US wants help disputing the charges getting a refund, message me on this forum account. When you call the bank's corporate branch it won't matter if your local bank teller tells you that your purchase happened years ago because the company we bought from only recently made it's racist remarks about slavery. As long as you say "I was sent racially discriminating materials and it was a criminal offense" and "i intend on going forward with legal action against that company" then the bank has alot more leverage to get you a refund even years after your purchase. I don't know what to tell you if you didn't run the purchase thru a bank or a credit card. We'll let GOG and other distributors call and ask the bank why the bank has legal grounds to deduct money from their accounts and see if they don't pressure factorio dev's to remove their racist postings. I'm going to read amazon's hosting policy and see if I can have the site's page removed as a hate site, but that is pretty unlikely with free speech laws and all.

black lives matter
Can't tell if troll or #fullmcintosh

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

therapist wrote:Thanx for nothing @slpwnd , there is still a friday facts update with the word slavery in big letters and a paragraph that belittles the suffering that modern slaves and my ancestors had to endure at the hands of heartless monsters eho insisted there was nothing wrong with their words or actions. I asked you to remove it and the best you can say to me is "we'll never belittle slavery again". Maybe you think this is about money for the arts or something, like I'm some EU political guy and I'm not. I could care less if EVERY friday facts has politics in it, but I can't even begin to understand why you would be offensive to certain cultures like that. I know it was an accident but it isn't an accident anymore when I ask for you to remove your inflammatory and bigoted language from your official site. Let me right it in caps so you understand, YOU WERE ACCIDENTALLY RACIST TO AFRICAN AMERICANS, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR ACCIDENTAL RACISM ASAP. I understand the devs are european, but trust and believe me when I say that in America (where I imagine a good portion of your sales happen) posts like that cause people to flip out, boycott, ban, protest, etc etc. I can't believe that making a political stand on art b/s is more important than being racially sensitive. This isn't over just because a week has passed and the next ff hit, and if I have to petition my local chamber of commerce and city council to get your product banned in my town, I will. Granted, you are not in walmart or best buy (yet) but if you ever get in, your product will be available in every community in america except those that have a black majority in power. Were I am from, we do not let people talk like that and then call them friend if they wont see the error of their ways. You'll have to find your own path to racial sensitivity without me and the other pissed off africans in your community.

black lives matter
Is it a joke? I really don't get how could anyone get rasist meaning out of the post.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Over here in the States, we have a whole political system in place that encourages this type of deflection. Instead of recognizing the failure of their elected officials and doing something about it, they are directed to those evil "other people" and told that all of their problems are due to those "other people"'s racism.

To answer your question, yes this is a joke, but sadly the ranting poster hasn't gotten it yet.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

therapist wrote:-troll snip-
Oh no, factorio has become well known enough to attract these types of idiots.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

@kovarex

Not a joke, you don't have to write anything specifically against any race to be racially offensive.

It is offensive simply to down-play slavery. Calling waiting in line at the bank slavery is offensive because SOME OF US ACTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE REALITIES OF REAL SLAVERY EVEN YEARS AFTER IT IS ABOLISHED. I understand you are not doing this on purpose and I understand in europe you have to specifically target a race to be racist. In america, you can't talk about slavery the way you have because america was one of the last countries to abolish slavery and we actually understand and deal with what REAL slavery is, NOT THE B*LLSHIT YOU DESCRIBE IN YOUR FRIDAY FACTS.

It isn't okay to use that word like that, not in america anyway. Talk to americans you might know about race and they will tell you I am not lying. They might hate people like me who demand respect and reparations but they will confirm we are everywhere and we are the reason you cant talk like that.

Keep fighting this and insisting you havn't said anything offensive, it just confirms to me that you have a twisted view of slavery kovarex, you are actually kind of luckk that you get to joke about slavery like that, but it will NEVER be a joke to me under any circumstances. Glad to see where your priorities lay.

#BLACKLIVESMATTER

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

therapist wrote:@kovarex

Not a joke, you don't have to write anything specifically against any race to be racially offensive.
Says the guy who calls himself "the rapist."

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Turtle wrote:

THIS is evil !!!

therapist is a medical occupation.

I do not like what therapist wrote. He overreacts, like the germans with their history. So I do not like him and his opinions, ...

BUT this is in no way a good way to handle with him.

JimiQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JimiQ »

If anything, those FF are AGAINST slavery. And while you can differentiate between kinds of slavery, what EU is heading to is technically a slavery (different kind than oppresion of african-american minority in US, but slavery nevertheless).

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by voyta »

... which exactly offends therapist, because it's not "slavery enough", and thus in his eyes kovarex's article belittles the kind of slavery he refers to.
TBH the debate is pointless, there are over 7B people on this planet, and there's actually very little you can do or say that wouldn't offend someone. People who can't deal with the fact there are other groups who use different communication context are not worth debating with or arguing over.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Just to be clear. It doesn't say that the state we have now is slavery. I'm just stating that the things that are happening now could lead to it if it continues like this for a long time. The slavery it could lead to could be totally comparable to the slavery in the past, if not even worst, because modern technology could make the slavery even much more effective.
Not talking about slavery would mean, that the painful history of all the enslaved people would be for nothing. If we don't try to learn from the past, to avoid these problems in the future, they suffered for nothing.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

kovarex wrote:Just to be clear. It doesn't say that the state we have now is slavery. I'm just stating that the things that are happening now could lead to it if it continues like this for a long time. The slavery it could lead to could be totally comparable to the slavery in the past, if not even worst, because modern technology could make the slavery even much more effective.
Not talking about slavery would mean, that the painful history of all the enslaved people would be for nothing. If we don't try to learn from the past, to avoid these problems in the future, they suffered for nothing.
Very good statement. I totally agree.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Turtle wrote:

THIS is evil !!!

I do not like what therapist wrote. He overreacts, like the germans with their history. So I do not like him and his opinions, ...

That's what we all assumed when he first started posting here, until he clarified it was "TheRapist" and not "Therapist."

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
kovarex wrote:Just to be clear. It doesn't say that the state we have now is slavery. I'm just stating that the things that are happening now could lead to it if it continues like this for a long time. The slavery it could lead to could be totally comparable to the slavery in the past, if not even worst, because modern technology could make the slavery even much more effective.
Very good statement. I totally agree.
Seconded: I may not agree with the specific case outlined in the blog post --- Though I am neither European nor Czech specifically so I wouldn't be too well read on the full dynamics of the situation --- but I definitely agree with the sentiments and worries here; They're good fears to have.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Turtle wrote:
Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Turtle wrote:

THIS is evil !!!

That's what we all assumed when he first started posting here, until he clarified it was "TheRapist" and not "Therapist."
OK, if he self declared it this way then I take back my comment and agree to turtle.

Return to “News”