Friday Facts #100 - So old

Regular reports on Factorio development.
starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: FFF #100 - So old

Post by starholme »

betka wrote:the alien research made me thinking where did I see that before... and then I remembered, we actually have an alien research machine in the Factorio kitchen...
I think we should be honest about the reality of alien research here. Put the blender blades in. Alien smoothies anyone?

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Drury wrote:Those icons are quite large - will they be this large in the tech tree preview as well, or will you shrink them? I think automated railway transportation may lose a big chunk of readability, i.e. turn into a small nondescript circle with strange appendages.

I trust Albert to sort it out, though.
having done icons in the past for a while, you always want to start big. They can always be scaled down, but its very messy and ugly to scale up.

LotA
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LotA »

personnaly, it reminds me of this :

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

When I see alien in a tube I always think of this:

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

betka wrote:the alien research made me thinking where did I see that before... and then I remembered, we actually have an alien research machine in the Factorio kitchen...
And it makes a tasty juice too =)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

torham wrote:
Drury wrote:Those icons are quite large - will they be this large in the tech tree preview as well, or will you shrink them? I think automated railway transportation may lose a big chunk of readability, i.e. turn into a small nondescript circle with strange appendages.

I trust Albert to sort it out, though.
having done icons in the past for a while, you always want to start big. They can always be scaled down, but its very messy and ugly to scale up.
Albert has done some experiments in this field. Sometimes it is possible to scale, when it is not a smaller version of the icon is done (usually by very simple modifications).

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Congrats on 100 FF. I gotta say those icons are really impressive. :D Definitely a step up from what is in the game currently.
Image Image Image

GenericKen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GenericKen »

Are you planning to make the trailer exactly the same as before?

Would you like to call on the community for photogenic factory savegames to put into the trailer?

How much does a license for Raymond Scott's Powerhouse cost? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

DerAva wrote:So, if that's the icon for oil processing then why is it a caffeine molecule? Also I think it's missing one hydrogen ;)
Nice catch finding out it was a coffeine molecule :D!
Hmm its missing a single hydrogen and at one place there needs to be a double bound(two lines between the carbon atoms)
Tip 1 carbon (the gray looking things) needs to have 4 lines connecting to it
Last edited by jorgenRe on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Original
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Original »

100 woo hoo.

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

Wait, 100 somethings, that should mean there's something to celebrate. A celebration always comes with cake. Where is the it!?
my Mod: ThunderGui

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Mr. Thunder_Tw wrote:Wait, 100 somethings, that should mean there's something to celebrate. A celebration always comes with cake. Where is the it!?
After careful examination, the cake has been found to be a lie.

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Those technology icon pictures are excellent.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Congratulations!
I only started reading at around #60 and I have come to love and enjoy the weekly updates and the roughly correct English. :D

The Icons look awesome. I'm a little sad for the colourful circuit icons though, I always liked the saturated green, red and blue lines in my factory.
Oxyd wrote:After careful examination, the cake has been found to be a lie.
After careful consideration I have determined that this reference, coming from a game developer, may be considered appropriate and hilarious.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Corbald
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Corbald »

Well, my kid and I had a good laugh over this one! We've been playing together and recently set up or first oil facility, which she had taken to referring to as, "Dad's Java Juice," because my morning cup of coffee has double the scoops of grounds that the manufacturer of the pot calls for, resulting in something more like espresso, and due to how the solid fuel now makes the factory 'go.' I usually water down a cup for my wife, on the rare occasions when she drinks coffee; a process we will now refer to as 'Cracking!'

Suffice to say, the caffeine molecule went over well in my house!

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Oxyd wrote:
Mr. Thunder_Tw wrote:Wait, 100 somethings, that should mean there's something to celebrate. A celebration always comes with cake. Where is the it!?
After careful examination, the cake has been found to be a lie.
You are just using a bad recipe. Here is a high quality recipe that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAw3V8ScLeI

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Not to poo poo on your new icons there, because they look fab, but, electronics? you have a chip(Which is a surface mount chip, those are tiny and usually soldered by machine only), 2 slightly bigger chips(Which are throughpin, those chips would be massive, and to be honest are usually outdated low tech stuff, likely less sophisticated than the previous chip), and then a chip on the back of another chip....(Looks like some sort of CPU, it works, but I probably wouldn't put that piggyback chip on myself)

In my opinion the first icons for Electronics should be a Transistor, not a chip, Advanced electronics should then be a chip (probably just one of the chips from the icon with 2 side by side, or even the first icon on that list) and advanced electronics 2, although the piggyback chip will work, perhaps something that doesn't look quite so piggybacked.

Just my feedback on it, I am an electronic engineer IRL.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

The 100th! What a great achievement!

thiosk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thiosk »

I am unsatisfied by the molecule in the art sample. Although the colors are not attributed to elements, it does not appear to be a chemically accurate structure. One presumably methyl unit is missing a hydrogen, and the angles on the hydrogen atoms in the correct nearby unit do not reflect realistic molecular geometries. Other parts of the structure make me uncomfortable as well, but the organic guys come up with some wacky shit.

If you would like to employ an interesting real molecule, I would be happy to consult.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

LotA wrote:personnaly, it reminds me of this :
What game is that from?

Return to “News”