Friday Facts #97 - Greenlight preparations

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #97 - Greenlight preparations

Post by kovarex »

It is here, we never failed for 97 weeks already: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-97

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #97 - Greenlight preparations

Post by keyboardhack »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 7&start=10
Are we going after stable or kovarex stable? If only stable then Klonan was spot on. Gratz to him :)

Someone will want that kite in the store.
Waste of bytes : P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We go for kovarex stable ofcourse :)

Rwn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rwn »

About achievements, it's not just about giving goals to the players, it's also a way for the devs to get valuable insight on how people play your games. That's why you sometimes have achievements that look very straightforward ("finished level 1", "opened the in-game help"...) - so the devs know how many people actually really played the game even a tiny bit among those who purchased it, how many gave up or got bored before reaching a certain point, how many tried the multiplayer at least once... So, in addition to "motivational achievements" for the player, you may want to implement a few of those for your own information (to better know you fanbase, prioritize future bugfixes and features...) ;)

Havoc_mayhem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Havoc_mayhem »

For someone who's relatively late to the Factorio scene, is 'kovarex stable' a more stringent or lenient condition than 'stable'?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Havoc_mayhem wrote:For someone who's relatively late to the Factorio scene, is 'kovarex stable' a more stringent or lenient condition than 'stable'?
Stringent, definitely.

Original
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Original »

Yay!
I can feel the greenlight approaching.
Last edited by Original on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonob
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bonob »

The promo trailer, released about a year ago I think, was great, that's when I discovered and started to play Factorio.

Looking at it again now, I got curious about the music, that's so clearly Danny Elfman (the guy who made most of Tim Burton movies soundtracks)
Well, no, that's not him, so now I'm listening to Daniel James Taylor. Did he compose the latest in-game music?

That trailer soundtrack is splendid, just get more like this!

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Havoc_mayhem wrote:For someone who's relatively late to the Factorio scene, is 'kovarex stable' a more stringent or lenient condition than 'stable'?
"Kovarex release worthy" is stable for every other game. "Kovarex stable" is when other games would stop & just focus on selling.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 6&start=20

I like my switch better - shows the physical disconnect of the cables :)

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

Regarding the Steam release and a few things in the game - obviously you want to polish some things off (eg. the previously mentioned menu's etc) as this will overall help to present Factorio in the best possible way on Steam which is of course the idea. With this in mind might we see some changes to things in-game at all? I don't mean content as such - but perhaps reworks of certain things in-game such as aspects of the GUI (for example I would love a rework of the train menu [think bigger, wider, with the ability to set *favourite* stations etc.]) or will most of the changes be more outside of the game?

Keep up the great work as always - I feel the Steam release is going to be a game-changer as such (for the better!) and you guys absolutely deserve it!

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

DerivePi wrote:https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 6&start=20

I like my switch better - shows the physical disconnect of the cables :)
I guess that the switch they are working on will be animated too... at least there's the description of "male" and "female" parts... which I imagine will only connect if the circuit is closed and be seperated if the circuit is open.

At least I'm looking forward to it no matter the actual design. :D

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

I like the new turret models a lot and how the laser turrets are now consolidated.

I really dislike how you guys nerfed the range of the tank weapon! :-(

Most weapons need to be longer range too; this is especially true for turrets, which are supposed to be a stabilized base.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

Only 3 Pictures yet, but take em, if you need em ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nobodx/scr ... =imagewall

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

bonob wrote:The promo trailer, released about a year ago I think, was great, that's when I discovered and started to play Factorio.
Yes, the demo trailer is in many ways really good. I'd like for the devs to make an updated version. It's fun, and shows a lot.

On the other hand, it's not showing the game as truly interactive. I really think it might be best for the devs to make two trailers, one an updated version of the old one, with the Train splattering the Biters (now also to include Spitters, of coures), showing newer graphics and 60 FPS, but also another one that more clearly demonstrates that Factorio isn't work (many are put off by the idea of the game, because to them it looks like work instead of fun) but rather about doing as little work as possible as its true succes criterion. Factorio is about thinking, not grinding. It's about constructing machines to do the work for you. The current kind of trailer doesn't make that clear at all, so a new trailer should be made to alleviate that concern - which is widespread among potential players.

I know game trailers are short. Or at least the two I've seen where. Skyrim's was just under 3 minutes. I'm not sure how much time that actually gives to show what the gameplay is thereby making it clear, by implication, what gameplay isn't.

One thing that makes Factorio a lot of fun is coop MP, so the new second trailer should ideally also show that.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

The trailer brought me here, too, so I'm all for a Director's Cut :D

To take a few more months and hit Steam with the proper endgame that comes with 0.13 (platform building) is not a bad thing I think. Maybe you should aim for a Steam release at the end of November at the latest, so it doesn't collide with the winter sale or some of the big game releases around that time. Else, I would maybe wait until mid of January. Factorio deserves some attention on Steam, and there might be some events that distract from it.

I haven't played 0.12 much so far, because I have not much time for factorio at the moment. And quite frankly, some of the content I was hoping for got moved to 0.13, so I decided to experience the "full" package with the next big update.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Speaking as someone who bought the game after watching the trailer, as someone who also considers that same trailer to capture the spirit of the game near perfectly, and as someone who's usual instinct is to change things as little as needed: I'd be wary of flat out repeating the old trailer with a spit of polish.

One of the things that really annoyed me in the past was watching the updated Terraria trailer, seeing how it had changed, and getting the feeling that everything was wrong; They tried to get it the same but in many ways the very act of trying made it feel like a clunky imitation rather than the genuine article.

Likewise, watching the original Factorio trailer now, rather than being dated, it still has the same merit it once did and I fear that trying to replicate it seems like it could easily fall into that same uncanniness and disappointment.

Instead of seeing the train crash through the horde again, awesome as it was, I'd propose trying for the entirely new awesome moments and setpieces that showcase the cool and sometimes outlandish things we all build and do: Using grenades to clear a forest, carpet bombing a biter base with landmines and construction bots, or heck, watching landmines clear a forest as a biter horde crashes through.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Peter34 wrote:
bonob wrote:The promo trailer, released about a year ago I think, was great, that's when I discovered and started to play Factorio.
*snips*
Factorio is about thinking, not grinding. It's about constructing machines to do the work for you.
*snips*
yeah, I also bought the game after the trailer. And I think your description of factorio would be on the game box, if games still came in a box like in the old days... It fits the game perfectly and explains its charm in two memorable sentences.

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Is it only me or did they really remove the headless server options in 0.12.2?
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (258.24 KiB) Viewed 17167 times

HulkingUnicorn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HulkingUnicorn »

Bytenex wrote:Is it only me or did they really remove the headless server options in 0.12.2?
Did you try the command? The changelog mentioned allowing dots in the file paths for it now, so it's highly unlikely they removed it. Perhaps they just didn't add it to the help switch output?

On another note, is that some fan art for Majora's Mask?

Return to “News”