Random Ramblings #5

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Random Ramblings #5

Post by slpwnd »

The weekend has been filled by playtesting the 0.7.1. Kovarex did quite some balancing in the recipes based on his games. In the end he managed to finish the game under 12 hours. I have spent over 6 hours in my factory so far resulting in balancing in the natives settlement distribution, attack and colonization params. The balancing is really hard though. The problem is with the length of the cycle. We spend hours of playing the game and then we go back and change couple of parameters. Then we should sit down again and play the game for hours again to verify that the change worked as expected, etc. This is why we really value any balancing feedback from you guys:).

The 0.7.1 is coming out tomorrow evening so you will be able to check for yourself if the balancing changes helped:)

We also had a lengthy discussion about the blueprints and building robots. That is something we would like to do rather soon. This should take away the "grinding" part of the game (extending the furnace lines, building simple assembling machine setups, building solar panes, etc.)

In the meantime, Albert did some pretty neat remnants for the railtracks. Imho they look so nice that we will try to sneak them in the demo somewhere:)
destructed-rails.jpg
destructed-rails.jpg (440.91 KiB) Viewed 20956 times

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Random Ramblings #5

Post by Dakkanor »

i would say you should use them in that.... second? level the one where you find a partial production line to give you a general idea of what you're doing, add a chest and an inserter and it looks like an abandoned refueling station.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Dakkanor wrote:i would say you should use them in that.... second? level the one where you find a partial production line to give you a general idea of what you're doing, add a chest and an inserter and it looks like an abandoned refueling station.
Exactly! Second demo level will be perfect for that. And hopefully it will give a glimpse to the players what they can expect in the future.

grobyc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by grobyc »

I like graphics of remnants with you show to us and I hope so, this remnants will stay on place to the end of game unless player will build something on it.

I love post nuclear world like in movies MadMax, Waterworld and Fallout games.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Maybe the remands should be player-cleared?
That way you dont forget the set up of something if it is really destroyed, and time passes, and it stays for ever in the tut mision :)

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

ficolas wrote:Maybe the remands should be player-cleared?
That way you dont forget the set up of something if it is really destroyed, and time passes, and it stays for ever in the tut mision :)
i would choose player cleared, or automatically removed when something goes on top

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

I became addicted to your ramblings, awaiting how's 0.7.2 going or on what is it currently stuck :D

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

slpwnd wrote:We also had a lengthy discussion about the blueprints and building robots. That is something we would like to do rather soon. This should take away the "grinding" part of the game (extending the furnace lines, building simple assembling machine setups, building solar panes, etc.)
Blueprints is a feature I am looking forward to. However, I'd like to share what my vision for it exactly is. You don't need building robots for that. What I have in mind is that you can place a blueprint anywhere on the map, and it will appear as "ghosted" structures - they're not really there but you can see a mostly transparent version of the structure. When you go near the ghosted structure, if you're within building range and have the building in inventory, it will automatically be placed for real. So you just place the layout and then run through the construction site.

The same mechanic can be used for placing buildings in general, not just with blueprints. It's annoying when you try to place something, find out you're too distant and then have to place it again. I'm suggesting that when buildings are placed out of range, they will be ghosted, and placed when you get in range if you have them in stock. There should of course be visual and audio indication that the building was not placed for real.

Alternatively, you could do it so that placing ghosted buildings deducts from your inventory to begin with.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Too op, building robots are nice, and I love seeing robors flying arround working for meh :D

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

ficolas wrote:Too op, building robots are nice, and I love seeing robors flying arround working for meh :D
You're referring to my suggestion? It's weaker than robots since you still have to go through the construction site.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Holy-Fire wrote:
ficolas wrote:Too op, building robots are nice, and I love seeing robors flying arround working for meh :D
You're referring to my suggestion? It's weaker than robots since you still have to go through the construction site.
Yea im refering to your suggestion .
But you dont need to make robots, and it takes more time (robots wont make it instantly)

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Math3vv »

(i havn't realy played the blueprint mod but) i think little building robots are just awsome, immagine 4 robot moving around SLOWLY placeing buildings here and ther.
i think that would be way cooler to have then just a coppy-paste-wait option whit blueprints, or how about blueprints that you can insert into a robot ?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Math3vv wrote:(i havn't realy played the blueprint mod but) i think little building robots are just awsome, immagine 4 robot moving around SLOWLY placeing buildings here and ther.
i think that would be way cooler to have then just a coppy-paste-wait option whit blueprints, or how about blueprints that you can insert into a robot ?
Yes, I agree, they build it longer, and it adds the cool factor to the game.
Also the factor of the player getting power and you can just watch your little slaves working :)

Imp0815
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Imp0815 »

kovarex wrote: Yes, I agree, they build it longer, and it adds the cool factor to the game.
Also the factor of the player getting power and you can just watch your little slaves working :)
Like i worte on the second part in this wall of text :D

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 9045#p9045

Return to “News”