Friday facts #95 - 0.12 Release today

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday facts #95 - 0.12 Release today

Post by Peter34 »

JosephBones wrote:When do we get the mail to validate it as Steam game ? I will trust officially the game when i have it registered in steam
When the devs declare alpha 12 stable. Which won't be alpha 12.0, but more likely something like 12.6, 12.10 or 12.15. Alpha 11 required a lot of updates before they declared 11.22 stable, and then there were several months of no releases while they worked on alpha 12.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

AMV wrote:And for some reason concrete road doesn't show on global map if drones build it.
deepdriller wrote: Make sure that the map has been updated by either walking nearby or having it scanned by a radar.
I know this doesn't likely cause the issue, but that's how troubleshooting works: Start with the easily testable.
Yeah, make sure the known map has updated since the pavement was built,
if that doesn't help, the proper place would be the bug reports subforum

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Cooolaid wrote:One thing I would like for the creator of Factorio Game to do is.
Place a confirmation popup when deleting a Saved World.
Pressing Delete Save instantly deletes it, but if you mistakenly misclicked on the wrong Saved World, you're basically screwed.
It just happened to me. There should be a confirmation popup when deleting a Saved World.
Good point, I'll add it to our list.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

cube wrote:
Cooolaid wrote:One thing I would like for the creator of Factorio Game to do is.
Place a confirmation popup when deleting a Saved World.
Pressing Delete Save instantly deletes it, but if you mistakenly misclicked on the wrong Saved World, you're basically screwed.
It just happened to me. There should be a confirmation popup when deleting a Saved World.
Good point, I'll add it to our list.
Can we also get a confirmation for overwriting a save? I can't think of any others at the moment but anything else that alters a savegame should have confirmation as well.

Edit: a confirmation when overwriting custom scenarios would be good too.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

FishSandwich wrote: Can we also get a confirmation for overwriting a save? I can't think of any others at the moment but anything else that alters a savegame should have confirmation as well.
I'd rather not have that, I save over the same file like 95% of the time. Don't care about a confirmation for delete either way. There's always autosave if you accidentally mess up a save no?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

boro wrote:There's always autosave if you accidentally mess up a save no?
How does that work if I accidentally overwrite a save that I'm not playing?

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

FishSandwich wrote:
boro wrote:There's always autosave if you accidentally mess up a save no?
How does that work if I accidentally overwrite a save that I'm not playing?
Thats why i have github set for savegame folder ;p

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

How about a compromise, we have an option in the options menu to enable confirmation prompts, what is on by default but can be disabled?

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

How about the game checks it it's a save of the same game and overwrites without asking if it's the same game but asks for a confirmation when it's not.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

ThaPear wrote:How about the game checks it it's a save of the same game and overwrites without asking if it's the same game but asks for a confirmation when it's not.
Thats way 2 complicated for task at hand ...

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

oLaudix wrote:
ThaPear wrote:How about the game checks it it's a save of the same game and overwrites without asking if it's the same game but asks for a confirmation when it's not.
And a github repository for savegames isn't?

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

ThaPear wrote:And a github repository for savegames isn't?
Its called backup and i can do it with 1 click so not really ;p. Golden rule of IT, if smth doesnt exist in at least 2 copies it doesnt exist at all.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

oLaudix wrote:
not really, it just means keeping the name/index of the loaded game in memory along side the index of the autosave.

Then when manually over an existing file saving you check against that name. That's at worst one std::string.operator== call. It also lets the current game be highlighted by default instead of the current autosave.

Ailure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ailure »

oLaudix wrote:
It's super easy newbie stuff programming wise, hell I would solve it by simple checking for the map seed. Sure severeal diffrent game can have the same map seed if the player have specified as such for some reason, but that's unlikely for most players.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Ailure wrote:
oLaudix wrote:
It's super easy newbie stuff programming wise, hell I would solve it by simple checking for the map seed. Sure severeal diffrent game can have the same map seed if the player have specified as such for some reason, but that's unlikely for most players.
keeping the loaded save-game's name as as a reference explicitly is 20 extra bytes worst case? That's not even worth optimizing out.

Don't over-complicate what doesn't need to be overcomplicated.

Manapool
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Manapool »

Just place a checkbox + save/delete so its an easy two step , not like we are going to do hundreds of deletes per day ... no no likey

Maybe going to newworld = new subfolder and all saves need to be in that subfolder would that be to much overheads

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

oLaudix wrote:
ThaPear wrote:And a github repository for savegames isn't?
Its called backup and i can do it with 1 click so not really ;p. Golden rule of IT, if smth doesnt exist in at least 2 copies it doesnt exist at all.
how exactly do you sync to github in one click ? using a desktop link to a command-line sync of the folder ?
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

jockeril wrote:
how exactly do you sync to github in one click ? using a desktop link to a command-line sync of the folder ?
Fair enough, 2 clicks. First click to commit changes and 2nd to sync repository.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

FFF-#95 wrote: As you may know, the space platform building part was moved to 0.13, but one of the big changes we had to do is already prepared for 0.12. The game can now contain independent surfaces which are basically independent maps in a single game. This option is unused in the vanilla game, but it is possible to create additional surfaces (and teleport there) through scripting interface. I'm almost sure that some mod will use this new feature, so it will be better tested until officially used in 0.13.
ok, how do I do this ? where is that script interface ?

plus, FINALLLLYYYYYY !
and thanks :)

ScoobTheNoob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ScoobTheNoob »

Ref# Saves,

Rant begins..

it is already bad enough that Windows asks if I want to shut down, open a file from the internet, delete file, save file, in fact do anything that involves productivity.

In fact it asks me if I am sure, to which I think no I am not sure that is why I performed the often complex set of arguments and requests to get this message, ie, clicked on start then selected shutdown, located the file and then pressed delete..

I was sure enough to parse those instructions, there is a good chance Windows NT kernel that I did in fact have a degree of certainty that this was indeed the action I desired, asking me at this late stage in the operation is not going to shift my decision making process.

So no I do not want yet another program asking me if I am sure I want to do something.

So here is my solution, disable the option to manually delete a file within game, and instead players can manually put the save files into recycle bin, or .... as most distros and Windows have a recycle bin, simply commit the delete of file to the trash can, this way when a player like herp derpinstein derps and deletes his 5000 hour gaming time map he or she does not whinge about it, and simply restores from the trash can...

Return to “News”