Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1096
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Peter34 »

DaveMcW wrote:I don't think they ever wrote a converter for different sized entities...

Probably the simplest way is to allow old turrets to still exist, but disable building new ones.
I think that would be the preferable solution. Unplaced Gun/Laser Turrets should remain in their Chests, so that Construction Robots can continue to replace destroyed Turrets for as long as supplies last, while the player (or players in coop MP) get around to setting up for switching over the newer larger 2x2 footprint Turrets.

User avatar
Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Cordylus »

ratchetfreak wrote: Except there is the issue of licensing; who owns the code of the mod and are the devs allowed to just grab the code and put it in the main game.

This has the danger that a disgruntled mod dev can issue a DMCA takedown and boom no more factorio.
It's impossible because the mods are written in lua, game is written in C++.

Furthermore I don't know how looks the copyright law in the Czech republic, but I guess it looks like in the Poland: nobody cares.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by ratchetfreak »

Cordylus wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote: Except there is the issue of licensing; who owns the code of the mod and are the devs allowed to just grab the code and put it in the main game.

This has the danger that a disgruntled mod dev can issue a DMCA takedown and boom no more factorio.
It's impossible because the mods are written in lua, game is written in C++.

Furthermore I don't know how looks the copyright law in the Czech republic, but I guess it looks like in the Poland: nobody cares.
And nothing in the vanilla game is in lua?

Also a quick google shows hints that there is a DMCA-like law in Czech Republic.

User avatar
DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3433
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by DaveMcW »

Re-writing code in a different language is not sufficient to avoid copyright, but that's not the main issue.

It's hard to prove copyright infringement for a small piece of a closed-source software project. You have to go to court to force the devs to show the source code before you can issue any takedown orders.* And the devs can easily re-write it to be non-infringing (like they should have done in the first place).

Of course to avoid the hassle, most games that allow mods have a clause stating that you can't sue if a dev takes your mod idea.

*DMCA in the US allows you to issue any order you like, but the defendant can ignore it if they say they will go to court.
Last edited by DaveMcW on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Qcor »

I've got a simple solution for you - ask the mod dev for a permission.
Show me even one mod dev who wouldn't want his work to become a part of the vanilla game.. it's like best reward and tribute EVER for a mod developer.
(ofc we are talking about mods free of charge)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8045
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by kovarex »

Well, it is never really copying the mod. The mod idea is given new graphics, it is implemented differently from the both players and programmers perspective. So the only thing that is the same is the "idea".

Swartt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Swartt »

Kovarex will we see any updates before 0.12 (either features, content or bugfixes)?
MeduSalem wrote:
kovarex wrote:[...]

Nobody will ever use PS/2 ports anymore, because there's no mouse/keyboard manufacturer selling stuff using the interface anymore
Actually I would like to point out that you are wrong on this point, I myself use the PS/2 port, and A great deal of people do, mostly because mechanical keyboards (almost unlimited simultaneous key presses).

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by ratchetfreak »

Swartt wrote:Kovarex will we see any updates before 0.12 (either features, content or bugfixes)?
MeduSalem wrote:
kovarex wrote:[...]

Nobody will ever use PS/2 ports anymore, because there's no mouse/keyboard manufacturer selling stuff using the interface anymore
Actually I would like to point out that you are wrong on this point, I myself use the PS/2 port, and A great deal of people do, mostly because mechanical keyboards (almost unlimited simultaneous key presses).
that's more because the 6 key rollover (plus meta keys) in the USB protocol,

If someone created a new Keyboard USB protocol with unlimited key rollover then no-one would need the PS/2 port for that

User avatar
Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Cordylus »

ratchetfreak wrote:
Swartt wrote:Kovarex will we see any updates before 0.12 (either features, content or bugfixes)?
MeduSalem wrote:
kovarex wrote:[...]

Nobody will ever use PS/2 ports anymore, because there's no mouse/keyboard manufacturer selling stuff using the interface anymore
Actually I would like to point out that you are wrong on this point, I myself use the PS/2 port, and A great deal of people do, mostly because mechanical keyboards (almost unlimited simultaneous key presses).
that's more because the 6 key rollover (plus meta keys) in the USB protocol,

If someone created a new Keyboard USB protocol with unlimited key rollover then no-one would need the PS/2 port for that
I'm using for my computers only early 1990's keyboards with the DIN plug. Of course I'm using the converters for PS/2. Those keyboards are very heavy, with partially metal cover and very high quality keys.
And I have a lot of them, because I'm regularly riding the electro-recycling sites to collect some technical curiosities. :)

Memphis86
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Memphis86 »

This turret´s :twisted:

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by sillyfly »

Swartt wrote:Kovarex will we see any updates before 0.12 (either features, content or bugfixes)?
Judging by past versions, I'd venture to guess "No". The only reason I see why they would update the 0.11 branch after it has been declared stable is if some very serious game-breaking bug was found, and seeing as the stable version of 0.11 came out over a month ago and no such bug was found, the chances are pretty slim.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 8045
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by kovarex »

sillyfly wrote:
Swartt wrote:Kovarex will we see any updates before 0.12 (either features, content or bugfixes)?
Judging by past versions, I'd venture to guess "No". The only reason I see why they would update the 0.11 branch after it has been declared stable is if some very serious game-breaking bug was found, and seeing as the stable version of 0.11 came out over a month ago and no such bug was found, the chances are pretty slim.
Exactly.

User avatar
TheWrongCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by TheWrongCat »

kovarex wrote:
Zeblote wrote:Still hoping version 12 will have the HD textures for everything...
This is not going to happen :)

We have currently high res versions of 2 entities (the 2 we presented in the fff already), and the new entities are prepared and rendered for high resolution as well, but it is not tested nor integrated.

The old entities need a lot of work to make it prepared for the high res render.

TL;DR It is going to be a lot of work to make high res version of everything, it will probably happen, but we will not do it anytime soon.
Just wanted to say thanks very much for clarifying on this. I've been hankering for more info on the HD textures since you put those teasers in FF a few months ago.

Factorio is one of the games I refer to as a shining example of how Early Access ought to be handled and a very positive relationship between a developer and their community <3

Fansana
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Fansana »

Damn I love the new look for the turrets.
Good work, keep it up.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1096
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Peter34 »

Will we get Turret range visualization in alpha 12?

Chaosz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Chaosz »

This game feels so complete already! Keep up the good work and thanks for hours of fun!

Qcor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Qcor »

Chaosz wrote:This game feels so complete already! Keep up the good work and thanks for hours of fun!
SShhhhhh! .. you crazy m8?! don't tell them that... ! They will become lazy and stop adding stuff ;)

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Takezu »

Qcor wrote:
Chaosz wrote:This game feels so complete already! Keep up the good work and thanks for hours of fun!
SShhhhhh! .. you crazy m8?! don't tell them that... ! They will become lazy and stop adding stuff ;)
I don't think they will ;)

As long as someone of them has ideas in mind i think they will continue to refine factorio as best they can.

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by RMJ »

Those turrets er SEXY....wow :) keep up the good work unifying the graphics.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #89 Timetables

Post by Udav »

What do you admire? If casing is missing, stone or wood, released to the gear can jam all the turret.

Post Reply

Return to “News”