Friday Facts #88 - Combinators

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #88 - Combinators

Post by Cordylus »

infinitehubgear wrote:I remember, the HD official mod was mentioned here.
I can't stop watching now... :D

wad67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wad67 »

I'm hoping this will work when they come out, only time will tell.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Or you could just do this:
full-adder.jpg
full-adder.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 8007 times

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

And what does all that do?

Thunder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thunder »

FrozenOne wrote:And what does all that do?
It checks if there is only one signal from A+B+C, then S go "high", or if there is two of these signals at any combination excluding three of them, then Cout gets "high".
Or thats how i understand that :D

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

Thunder wrote:
FrozenOne wrote:And what does all that do?
It checks if there is only one signal from A+B+C, then S go "high", or if there is two of these signals at any combination excluding three of them, then Cout gets "high".
Or thats how i understand that :D
It's an adder, it adds the 3 one-bit signals to a single 2-bit signal.
Easiest way I can visualise is a truth table:

Code: Select all

A B C | C S
0 0 0 | 0 0
0 0 1 | 0 1 -- 0 + 0 + 1 = 1
0 1 0 | 0 1
0 1 1 | 1 0 -- 0 + 1 + 1 = 2 = 1 0
1 0 0 | 0 1
1 0 1 | 1 0
1 1 0 | 1 0
1 1 1 | 1 1 -- 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 = 1 1

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

DaveMcW wrote:Or you could just do this:
full-adder.jpg
You then need to pull out the units and the twos to get the result. Or just cross the wires (all outputs are summed)

However I think that it's best to not go bitwise with arithmetic and instead treat each signal as a 32-bit integral signal (if that is indeed the limit). Having the modulo operator would be a good help for extracting the bits (or even the decimal digits for a segment display).

As a suggestion being able to use the Constant Combinator to pull in the amount from the logistics network it is in would be nice as input so you can start the sulfur production running when a battery derived product starts getting low and there is no backlog of batteries available.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Cordylus wrote:

Wait. I just noticed this sentence: "The comparison of the normal resolution render versus the double sized resolution speaks for itself."

So that is only 2 times the normal resolution? That means I'll have enough VRAM for the whole game at this quality! I want it for everything !! :D

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Zeblote wrote:
Cordylus wrote:

Wait. I just noticed this sentence: "The comparison of the normal resolution render versus the double sized resolution speaks for itself."

So that is only 2 times the normal resolution? That means I'll have enough VRAM for the whole game at this quality! I want it for everything !! :D
Just remember that double the resolution means 4x the pixels(and memory)
10x10 sprite = 100pixels
20x20 sprite = 400pixels

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

starholme wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
Cordylus wrote:

[img ]https://eu3.factorio.com/assets//img/bl ... lution.gif[/img]

10x10 sprite = 100pixels
20x20 sprite = 400pixels
Well, the system requirements say it currently needs 512MB, so those 2GB should fit in 6! :D

Could even do with triple resolution :o

Eirikaine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eirikaine »

These HD will be awsome but HD mean precision and i think this Steam Engine if really weird and really broken x)
If you look right on the bottom right, the part who look like an egg must be flying because the arm if passing through the central axis of this part.
(in the picture, the red lines help to see the collision point)

My eyes are probably fucked up but this seems really weird to me lol
Help me to find out how it can work if i'm seeing this in a bad way :)
Attachments
This will break!
This will break!
Weird machine.png (977.83 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Interested by modding, multiplayer and often active on IRC
No native English speaker.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

The machines don't have to make sense as long as they look cool while moving

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

There is a solution that makes sense.
Attachments
machine.jpg
machine.jpg (199.06 KiB) Viewed 7840 times

Golnor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Golnor »

A few points.

1. Somebody here said something about red/green wires being bad for color-blind people. Which I agree with. However, I don't think that a global change from red/green is a good idea, and adding a core way to change wire color might be a lot of work. So, I would like to bring this problem to the attention of modders, in hopes that one of them creates a wire recolor mod.

2. Someone else suggested calling constant combinators virtual chests. Which I like.

3. What I can see being very useful is an item like a CC, except that it would be able to be controlled remotely. That way, if set up properly, you could be out in the boonies, find a good place to set up an outpost, and be able to tell your base to stop producing whatever and start making base expansion stuff. Then when you get back to your base, all the stuff you need will be ready to pick up and you can go build your outpost.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Zeblote wrote:Well, the system requirements say it currently needs 512MB, so those 2GB should fit in 6! :D
I'm afraid the system requirements actually displayed are a little outdated :roll:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Golnor wrote:A few points.

1. Somebody here said something about red/green wires being bad for color-blind people. Which I agree with. However, I don't think that a global change from red/green is a good idea, and adding a core way to change wire color might be a lot of work. So, I would like to bring this problem to the attention of modders, in hopes that one of them creates a wire recolor mod.
or an overlay when having a red/green wire in your hand or when hovering over a combinator that highlights the wires in a good contrast.

similar to the electricity and logistics overlay

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Koub wrote:
Zeblote wrote:Well, the system requirements say it currently needs 512MB, so those 2GB should fit in 6! :D
I'm afraid the system requirements actually displayed are a little outdated :roll:
Well, what are the actual requirements?

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

The color thing is a playability issue for some players. I think if you were to right and/or left click a stack of colored cables on terrain instead of entities, you could cycle their colors back and forth. So say you have a stack of green wires and you need red (or blue). Before crafting a whole lot more cable, you could instead split out a few onto your cursor, and cycle them around to the color you want.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

ssilk wrote:
Jarin wrote:Nifty items and all... but I think the programmers need to remember that the majority of their players... aren't programmers. Some less-complicated applications might be nice?
Nemoricus wrote:I'm finding it hard to get excited about this, I'm afraid, because it means dealing with wires, which are one of the most tedious, time-consuming, and error-prone tasks in the game. If there was a way to more quickly and cleanly place red/green wire, I'd find this more useful, but if you still have to connect each wire to each item individually, I think I'm just going to end up ignoring what would otherwise be a very useful feature.
I'm sure that we will in the end have blueprints, in form of a mod or a bp-string, and you need only to put the wire into the right ends. That are things, which are just have practical use, like a regulator, some step-by-step controllers and so on. There are hundreds of electronic IC's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit), that can be rebuilt. See list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_74 ... d_circuits

And there are many more. :)
Blueprints only help once you've made the layout for the first time, and only help if you're going to be reusing a specific layout. Also, if you're trying to connect a circuit network over any kind of distance, there's no quick way to wire up a long series of power poles, like you might find in connecting a main base to a remote train station.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Zeblote wrote:
starholme wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
Cordylus wrote:

[img ]https://eu3.factorio.com/assets//img/bl ... lution.gif[/img]

10x10 sprite = 100pixels
20x20 sprite = 400pixels
Well, the system requirements say it currently needs 512MB, so those 2GB should fit in 6! :D

Remembers me of the lost race of making raster images (PNG) ever bigger to allow better zoom levels/details for images, where a vector image (SVG) could provide endless zoom while retaining the sharpness and details.

Wait - it's exactly the same that happends here :shock:

I'd really love to see the game entities implemented as vector 2D image arrays / do-it-right-3D objects with animation to break this cycle. VRAM usage would plummet.

Return to “News”