Friday Facts #87 - Visitors

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #87 - Visitors

Post by Grimshad »

The paths are beautiful! I really hope that's the final art.

I like the idea of different paths being different speeds. It seems to bring other ideas into conflict though. What if stone is slower than concrete, but path looks good for walking on and concrete looks good under machines. Then I'll never run at concrete speed because aesthetically concrete doesn't fit.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Would asphalt be even better path?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Grimshad wrote:The paths are beautiful! I really hope that's the final art.

I like the idea of different paths being different speeds. It seems to bring other ideas into conflict though. What if stone is slower than concrete, but path looks good for walking on and concrete looks good under machines. Then I'll never run at concrete speed because aesthetically concrete doesn't fit.
You're probably just imagining a noisy pool of grey, like home depot floors. I trust Albert to make proper olden factory-styled concrete, complete with cracks and splotches of oil all over it.

darksparks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darksparks »

what about when your in a car if you hold a key or click or something you can force the car to align with the mouse.. so that you can easy steer the car by holding the mouse on the road in-front of the car.. even turning the car will be easier if done with the mouse imho

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Are you guys going to launch on GoG.com as well? I'm sure they'd love to have you. Warsaw is at least closer than France, right? ;)

Salasilakka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Salasilakka »

OMG I did not understand how good just a simple pathway would make game look. I like it a lot.

redgear
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redgear »

But can you build paths under already built stuff like assembling machines, furnaces etc? because i'd like to make a path EVERYWHERE just for cosmetic effect :)

Guillespain
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Guillespain »

FrozenOne wrote:Now that we have roads, how about stone wall + plastics (rubber) = bumper wall / crash barrier? It could be walked across, but when hit with a car, neither would take damage and the car would bounce very slightly back on the road. With these preventing from getting off road and mowing through pipes/inserter rows, speeding through the factory with a car would finally be possible.
I like the way you think :P

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

I hope the mods of the 11.00 version will work .. if not think you can help them to adjust?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

darksparks wrote:what about when your in a car if you hold a key or click or something you can force the car to align with the mouse.. so that you can easy steer the car by holding the mouse on the road in-front of the car.. even turning the car will be easier if done with the mouse imho
Mouse driving would solve a couple issues.

Roads I wouldn't mind if worked like GTA 1/2 roads, snapping you to the grid according to the road. If you go at a slight angle relative to the lane, it automatically forces the car to perfectly follow the road.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

FrozenOne wrote:Now that we have roads, how about stone wall + plastics (rubber) = bumper wall / crash barrier? It could be walked across, but when hit with a car, neither would take damage and the car would bounce very slightly back on the road. With these preventing from getting off road and mowing through pipes/inserter rows, speeding through the factory with a car would finally be possible.
We are thinking about solutions like this for car movement in the factorio=)

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Paths looks great! Any chance we can plant trees in future?

oPedoh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by oPedoh »

Since you guys are doing such heavy graphics polish, will the research icons be changed? They look too much like a placeholder, and I think they are... ugly. Also, will planting trees be a thing, since with the paths we are going to absorb less and less pollution after destroying the environment?

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Those paths look amazing! Even if they didn't increase movement speed, I would still use them a ton to visually enhance my factory. As always, the graphics look terrific!
Also very cool that some people came to visit, I bet it is cool to meet your fans and people who play the game a ton. Hehe
I would come visit, but being in the US makes it a bit hard. :/
Image Image Image

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

British_Petroleum wrote:Paths looks great! Any chance we can plant trees in future?
I hope the algae farm mentioned in a thread does become a thing. It was a real nice industrial solution to clean the air.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Klakh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Klakh »

I don't know why, but this FF has a weird date : 22/08/2015

Weresmilodon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Weresmilodon »

It also appears to have broken the RSS feed. I'm still getting error 500 from it.

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tankh »

I LOVE the look of the path. Ever since I tried the raodworks mod I just wished it would be in game. Thanks :D

Sharlenwar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sharlenwar »

Nice! Now I can build some roads so that at least I know where I'm going!
**My Corner Of The Web**
YouTube Channel

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I like this idea. Both as something to collide with to brake, even a three-sides-walled enclosure to park my Car in, but also to put along roads to prevent the Car from from veering off either side of the road.

Return to “News”