Friday Facts #85 - Sales Stats

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #85 - Sales Stats

Post by FishSandwich »

StuffPlus wrote:I started my series in January (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9h13KGQlsQ) and there's a bump in the chart at that point which I would like to think could be attributed to my videos. To this day it was one of my most successful series in terms of views, the first episode alone has 50,000+ views. Either way I'm just glad people are discovering the game all the time.
I bought the game after your preview video.

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

ssilk wrote:
Grey wrote: You saw what the community made out of minecraft! Factorio has great potential... but atm lacks a good and easy entry for modders.
I would like to ask this - maybe it's a stupid question - but without going into the minecraft scene, how can this "You saw what the community made out of minecraft!" be described? Is there a general failure? Are we (this community) is going to make the same? And so on.

I ask, cause my opinion is not so. We do here many things right, but cannot be sure, so this is the reason for my question. :)
What i wanted to say is that even if the game is great by default it can be enhanced a lot by some good mods. For example i am playing Factorio in MP since a few weeks. First a friend and me started a normal game, but went through tech tree in about 6h, ending up with that "what to do next feeling?" Now we're about 100h into a game with railtankers and marathon. Railtankers is not to mention especially i think, sure that drum stuff works, but with liquid transports its just more comfortable and "better". The big thing is marathon, and acually only the demand of electronic chips. We've setup a chip plant capable of about 450 chips/m eating about 35k copper plates in that time. This huge amounts bring every belt to maximum. So where in vanilla SP one belt may be enough you will need far more for MP and even more with marathon which adds another stage of difficulty and challenge to the game.

To shorten up: i will stick with marathon mod from now on .. as normal games are just too fast for me (my opinion here i like to stick long with one game) Problem now is .. such huge factories bring the performance to the edge, so i await 0.12 mostly because of better performance.

But for example, why not make a total conversion and play as aliens against human invaders? graphics are in already only some lua scripting left. Tower defense, fun maps, racetracks, ... should i continue? how many of that things you would try?

stdwanze
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stdwanze »

I am tracking factorios sales since july 2014. Two graphs, showing the overall development and and the daily sales, are available under http://stdwanze.de/factoriosales.htm.
Have fun.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Gemoron wrote:yay, project management.... let's see

Red is for bugs... wait, why are there bugs listed for backlog?
Pink seems to be audio. Oh I am so looking forward to kill those annoying logistic robot sounds.
Blue might be networking and internet stuff
Orange could be new game mechanics and items
light green is clearly multiplayer stuff
dark green is hard to pin down, but I guess it is about maps
black is graphics
purple could be performance and cpu time sinks
(as you work with C++, this might help: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/data-locality.html )
yellow if difficult as well, Might we gamesaving stuff and data management.
Good analysis =) The colors are divided into 2 groups. First one is the code area (i.e. multiplayer, sound, graphics, etc.) second is Task type (optimisation, refactoring, small feature, bigger feature, bug, etc.). We have just started with Trello and are still testing a bit ...
Does the multiplayer relaying mean there will be servers to find MP-partners easier?
Not really. Relaying is more about the communication itself when the game is up and running. Instead of sending packets to all other peers they would be relayed via a hosting server. However a mechanism for matching MP games is planned as well (matching server).
XBBX wrote:Big jumps in sales starter when "Zisteau" started playing pactorio Nov 15, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnifxz ... AlOR6bceqH
And one more jump when "Xisumavoid" started Dec 8, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKdAhv_ ... 1i1F9rNUBL
I have not read all coments
Yes, there have been many many youtubers who made a significant impact on the sales (in no particular order Quill18, XisumaVoid, OfficialStuffPlus, Zisteau, Arumba, Sips and more). However for the sake of post I found it tedious to analyse the data backwards and match them to new videos appearing. The "MP-effect" might be a misleading label but the idea was that due to the multiplayer many people brought in their friends, some youtubers started MP series, etc.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Well, multiplayer had an effect on two more sales I know of. Got two friends into the game because of it. So my one became three ... now to get a few more!!!

Love the updates, great to see how you guys are progressing and doing things.

Oxygene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Oxygene »

No idea why I never made a video series, I've made a few minecraft ones, never got higher then when doing niche mods like TFC, kept meaning to do Factorio but just had too much fun playing it to do the whole "now lets start a video series and try to be interesting" part lol

(Been playing since just before the trailer came in, April 1st 2014! The only thing that made me buy it was a close minecraft friend saying how much I would enjoy it!)

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Notch just tweeted you again. Prepare for more humps.

KrzysD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KrzysD »

StuffPlus wrote:I started my series in January (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9h13KGQlsQ) and there's a bump in the chart at that point which I would like to think could be attributed to my videos. To this day it was one of my most successful series in terms of views, the first episode alone has 50,000+ views. Either way I'm just glad people are discovering the game all the time.
You're the reason i bought it, so thank you :)

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Koub wrote:Two things got me : the new trailer and an "ad" from a Gnomoria player on Gnomoria forums who basically said "if you like this game, you might like Factorio too". I did indeed :)
Haha I came from Gnomoria during the kickstarter. Even the earliest version of this game was addicting.

richrich
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by richrich »

What got me aboard were some Lets Play on YouTube by Zisteau https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCewxof ... dXY1BaDtqQ

His videos and some others drew me, especially as he went a bit crazy on his efficiencies... I'm hoping all those other YTs that did LP are also figured into your sales stats...

Return to “News”