Factorio is coming to Nintendo Switch™

Regular reports on Factorio development.
jt_1258
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Factorio is coming to Nintendo Switch™

Post by jt_1258 »

CobraA1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:18 pm
astroshak wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:41 pm
I suppose the biggest question I have is, why put it on the weakest dedicated game platform?

I would have thought that with built in mouse/keyboard support that either of the other two big platforms, both of which are stronger and more capable platforms, would have made more sense to port to? Referring to PlayStation and XBox, though with the way Microsoft is basically tying Windows and XBox together it may be practically on the XBox already…
If you want to play Factorio on a system that is stationary - there's always the PC, which is a better experience. You can't assume the player has a mouse and keyboard connected to the console, so regardless of platform you will always be designing for a controller. I'm thinking that the Switch being a mobile device was one of the major driving forces behind the port.

Even though the Steam Deck is available now, I understand the project did start before its announcement, and it will likely remain less popular than a Switch. That said - if you have a Steam Deck, it's best to get Factorio for the Deck rather than the Switch.

I will note that the Switch does in fact support keyboard and mouse connected to the USB ports of the dock. Any time a game pops up the virtual keyboard, you can use a USB keyboard. Game Builder Garage accepts a mouse. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to accept them via Bluetooth. It should also be noted that the Switch has a touch screen, which can serve as a mouse while mobile.
even better, going off of how youtube handles a keyboard being connect the switch actually can take input at all times as you can navigate/control youtube with a keyboard

InnerVoiS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by InnerVoiS »

Does this mean we can have a more gradual movement?
Will we be able to use controller on PC too?
IF yes, can we have both at the same time. I will want to use my controller on PC for driving the car then jump off and use the keyboard instead.
I also would like to use my Razer Tartarus device to also make movement of the character more gradual ( analog keyboard switches that can be assigned controller inputs). I am currently doing this for other games, and I love it!

Thank you devs for such an awesome game!

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

I'll buy it, Factorio deserves it! I will be able to play the extension on the switch!

Trace_117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Trace_117 »

So based on older replies I'm seeing, I've gathered that mod support is not planned atm. Is there any room to say that its possible in the future based on demand/interest from the playerbase?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Trace_117 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:42 pm
So based on older replies I'm seeing, I've gathered that mod support is not planned atm. Is there any room to say that its possible in the future based on demand/interest from the playerbase?
Twinsen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:42 pm
patmo98 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:19 pm
Why no mod support? I’m guessing it’s either:
1) Lack of CPU power and/or RAM
2) Trouble porting the Lua library, since it uses JIT, and the Switch won’t let unsigned code be marked as executable. Also, not using JIT would make 1 even worse, as well as fragmenting the codebase
3) Issues with community content moderation
Pretty much 1 and 3.
While "mod it 'till it crashes" is ok for most PC players, console games are generally expected to be much more stable(the are exceptions, but they are rare). With the limited amount of RAM, most mods could quickly end up crashing the game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

liron_aramas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by liron_aramas »

Guys, guys, guys!!! But what about a large-scale update for Factorio the size of the game itself, an expansion in the form of a modification? Nintendo switch is that all? What about that space octopus picture in Friday Facts? Guys please answer something. And so I almost went crazy because of the expectation, but here it is ((( :roll:

NGMZero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NGMZero »

This is great news, It would be a blessing if the Nintendo switch support split-screen multiplayer. 🌹
liron_aramas wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:41 pm
Guys, guys, guys!!! But what about a large-scale update for Factorio the size of the game itself, an expansion in the form of a modification? Nintendo switch is that all? What about that space octopus picture in Friday Facts? Guys please answer something. And so I almost went crazy because of the expectation, but here it is ((( :roll:
Yeah I wish if there is any news about the new expansion, just to put my hype in check in case it is content I am not interested in. (like I love rimworld and cities skyline but in most cases I am not interested/hyped about their DLCs targets).

Gummiente27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gummiente27 »

liron_aramas wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:41 pm
Clicking on a news item with the title "Factorio is coming to switch" and then complaining that there is no news about the DLC :lol:

Gummiente27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gummiente27 »

<NO_NAME> wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:13 pm
Gummiente27 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:29 pm
Already answered, see viewtopic.php?p=573867#p573867
There is an argument to make that there is a lot of mods that console could handle but when you think about it, then yeah, the dev's line of argumentation makes a total sense.
PC players can tinker with mods, load a few of them, see if it all works, click the button to revert changes if it isn't. But we need to keep in mind that we are the glorious PC Master Race. After all, there is no way some console peasant will be able to handle such a cognitively taxing task.
Complaining here doesn't help. Its decided by the console creator companies.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

<NO_NAME> wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:13 pm
...we are the glorious PC Master Race....
what the actual ewwwwwww? you're disgusting

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

[Moderated by Koub : off topic & trolling]

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

[Moderated by Koub : response to moderated off topic & trolling post]

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Please people, behave. I know Internet can reveal the worst from each and everyone, but I don't want that on this forum, so do it elsewhere.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

NotDaffy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NotDaffy »

I am really excited about this news :) Factorio on switch is a really great idea - it's the kind of game that I think would work extremely well on a portable device. It's the kind of game that is perfect to just pick up on a long road trip, in between a grinding study session, or relaxing in your *cough* various household facilities... :mrgreen:

I often play Factorio in small bursts since I get stuck very often in trying to figure out how to best optimize my factory - and needing to launch it constantly and be at my PC all the time in order to play it can usually feel a bit draining, especially since most of the time I log into my world, run around for a bit, place a few things and then quit the game again.
I think having the game wherever I want and being able to just turn my switch on, play for a bit, think about what to do, build something new or make some adjustments, put it down and repeat 30 minutes later without needing my PC sounds like an excellent idea and I think it will help players who might feel similarly to me play the game more consistently without feeling like they need to commit to long sessions.

Go for gold guys, you got this!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:52 pm
- Only online download.
- Same price
- Demo will be available
same price is a pretty crap way to release a game without the full functionality.

SnowRunner on Switch did the same thing. it is about $120 to get all the addons and DLC and yet the game runs at less than half the performance of PC version, and, if this sounds familiar, it has no mod support

please price the switch version appropriately. as in, less than PC version, because, it is, technically, lesser.

Slappy826
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Slappy826 »

Does this mean there is a better possibility for native arm64 ports to come to other platforms as well? (personally would love to see a headless arm64 build)

Atraps003
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Atraps003 »

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:59 pm
Twinsen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:52 pm
- Only online download.
- Same price
- Demo will be available
same price is a pretty crap way to release a game without the full functionality.

please price the switch version appropriately. as in, less than PC version, because, it is, technically, lesser.
If anything it should cost more to compensate for the time Twinsen spent refactoring the game to run on switch hardware.

zoranc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zoranc »

As a few other said I would really like a cart release of the game. It might not be right away and I don't care if it costs me 2 or 3 times more. I just want to have it a decade from now when my switch breaks and nintendo has closed the switch store... It'd be amazing gift too.

Return to “News”