Factorio is coming to Nintendo Switch™

Regular reports on Factorio development.
jt_1258
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Factorio is coming to Nintendo Switch™

Post by jt_1258 »

to be fair hasn't there main focus been fixing an endless pile of bugs and tiding up the code base for a while now. besides...one person out of the team working on the port rather then the expansion wouldn't magically make it come that much faster

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

I develop a custom scenario that uses a modified control.lua file, stores things in the global table, etc. Will that work on the Switch version?

zenmetsu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zenmetsu »

Hey Twinsen (LBA reference?)

Do you need translations to have their 'Approved' percentage to also be 100% for inclusion in the Switch?

AirmanareiksAE
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AirmanareiksAE »

Here's to hoping it comes to Xbox Series of consoles. I thought it was said there would never be a port :0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

AirmanareiksAE wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 am
Here's to hoping it comes to Xbox Series of consoles. I thought it was said there would never be a port :0.
"There is no plan to" is different from "it will never".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

zenmetsu wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:44 am
Do you need translations to have their 'Approved' percentage to also be 100% for inclusion in the Switch?
No, just all texts need to be translated.
More importantly there should be no mentions of mouse and keyboard, except for strings that have a specialized version, see https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/discussions/214

TBog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TBog »

Currently the controller support is optimized for and built around the Nintendo Switch system, the Joy-Con™ controllers, and their features.
If we emulate the game on the SteamDeck the controller should be the same, right?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Good news for Nintendo Switch (tm) users !

Good thing that there is cross platform multiplayer !

Good timing on the release !

Good luck for the translations !

Can't wait to read the next FFF !

CobraA1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CobraA1 »

astroshak wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:41 pm
I suppose the biggest question I have is, why put it on the weakest dedicated game platform?

I would have thought that with built in mouse/keyboard support that either of the other two big platforms, both of which are stronger and more capable platforms, would have made more sense to port to? Referring to PlayStation and XBox, though with the way Microsoft is basically tying Windows and XBox together it may be practically on the XBox already…
If you want to play Factorio on a system that is stationary - there's always the PC, which is a better experience. You can't assume the player has a mouse and keyboard connected to the console, so regardless of platform you will always be designing for a controller. I'm thinking that the Switch being a mobile device was one of the major driving forces behind the port.

Even though the Steam Deck is available now, I understand the project did start before its announcement, and it will likely remain less popular than a Switch. That said - if you have a Steam Deck, it's best to get Factorio for the Deck rather than the Switch.

I will note that the Switch does in fact support keyboard and mouse connected to the USB ports of the dock. Any time a game pops up the virtual keyboard, you can use a USB keyboard. Game Builder Garage accepts a mouse. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to accept them via Bluetooth. It should also be noted that the Switch has a touch screen, which can serve as a mouse while mobile.

CobraA1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CobraA1 »

TBog wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:26 am
Currently the controller support is optimized for and built around the Nintendo Switch system, the Joy-Con™ controllers, and their features.
If we emulate the game on the SteamDeck the controller should be the same, right?
That's a rather round-about way to add controller support. :?

Considering the effort and waiting needed to get a ROM dump - honestly, it's probably better to simply get the native version of the game and remap the inputs.

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:42 pm
Pretty much 1 and 3.
While "mod it 'till it crashes" is ok for most PC players, console games are generally expected to be much more stable(the are exceptions, but they are rare). With the limited amount of RAM, most mods could quickly end up crashing the game.
Do you consider adding a select few pre screened mods? Some smaller QOL once or something? Maybe a "best of" from some categories?
Though I also see that this would add additional maintenance depending on how close to the PC Version you want to keep the Switch Version.\
Even if the mods don't actually load from the Mod Portal and are baked in.
It would be neat though. There are some nifty mods that are just tiny adjustments to the game that make a huge difference.

AirmanareiksAE
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AirmanareiksAE »

Koub wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:38 am
AirmanareiksAE wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 am
"There is no plan to" is different from "it will never".
Im hopeful now more then ever. Originally it was said to never be ported based on a promise or something. I'm hoping it does eventually come to other consoles like Xbox Series S/X. I think it would be right at home there & maybe even kb&m support?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Factorio is the only game i know, that has been built with modding in mind from the start. I couldn't imagine going all the way to port it to ARM just to stop a few meters before the finish line. But i also couldn't imagine running Factorio on a system with only 4 GiB RAM.

Would definitely recommend miniloaders and some mod for higher belt tiers to reduce the amount of inserters and belts that need to be build...

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Nobody cares!
Where/when is the DLC?

TBog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TBog »

CobraA1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:29 pm
Considering the effort and waiting needed to get a ROM dump - honestly, it's probably better to simply get the native version of the game and remap the inputs.
I think the Switch version will have changes to the UI and the way the controls work that can't be emulated by the current linux version.

The_Kraken08
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by The_Kraken08 »

Will I get it free cause I already have it on steam and the website?

Gummiente27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gummiente27 »

irbork wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:58 am
Nobody cares!
Where/when is the DLC?
Unfortunaly your toxic behaviour does not allow you to buy the DLC.

The_Kraken08 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:47 pm
Will I get it free cause I already have it on steam and the website?
No

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:20 pm
Factorio is the only game i know, that has been built with modding in mind from the start. I couldn't imagine going all the way to port it to ARM just to stop a few meters before the finish line. But i also couldn't imagine running Factorio on a system with only 4 GiB RAM.

Would definitely recommend miniloaders and some mod for higher belt tiers to reduce the amount of inserters and belts that need to be build...
Already answered, see viewtopic.php?p=573867#p573867

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Gummiente27 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:29 pm
Already answered, see viewtopic.php?p=573867#p573867
There is an argument to make that there is a lot of mods that console could handle but when you think about it, then yeah, the dev's line of argumentation makes a total sense.
PC players can tinker with mods, load a few of them, see if it all works, click the button to revert changes if it isn't. But we need to keep in mind that we are the glorious PC Master Race. After all, there is no way some console peasant will be able to handle such a cognitively taxing task.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pat4yczek »

Great, have pc and switch, so it's nice to have next game play on toilet. :D
If game will not support mods, so maybe dlc?
Ps
If someone watched NC, in December next year Zelda will come, so it's hope for next generation Nintendo console, I hoped it will be Nintendo Dock

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Pat4yczek wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:37 pm
Great, have pc and switch, so it's nice to have next game play on toilet. :D
Did you know that a portable toilet is cheaper than a switch? And you can use all the mods. So to me the switch port is kind of pointless.

Return to “News”