Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Post by Cadde »

So uhm, i've been away for a while...

But i've been playing a lot of Factorio.
And i am sitting here, playing the full suite of Pyanodon, rolling along in a train with 15 wagons on it thinking it really should be moving slower than this. It's heavy!

And so i remember i've also played a lot of OTTD (Transport Tycoon for the uninitiated) and in OTTD there's these things called slopes, and bridges.
And so i thought back to Factorio and wondered... Hmm, will there ever be a Factorio 2.0? And if there's plans for it, will it FINALLY be capable of having a NON-FLAT world?

I wouldn't mind having a map like OTTD in Factorio, even though it would be even cooler to have a modern style map like that of C:S (Cities Skylines) or Transport Fever. Both mentioned games have rails with "realistic" slopes in them. And of course the latter (as well as OTTD) has plenty of locomotives and power options to pick from.

Yes, my thoughts are limited to just rails here really. Except cars/trucks/stuffs could also exist of course. I mean, even a cargo plane would be pretty cool. A drone with a runway so to speak.

Anyways, i just had to speak my mind on this. I don't care what your expansion is, i don't care why or what you are doing. I would most likely buy it.
But i would happily pay much more for a real map upgrade and moving (somewhat) away from the square and aligned grid, making rotated grids. Many other games have done it. Some even in the third dimension.

Of course there's performance and gameplay considerations to be had. But as i said, i don't care if it's an expansion or a full new game with half the code base being copied from the first game. I care about expanding on the concept and making it more flexible. Most of the time i find it annoying that everything is so damn flat and square. Making terrain a REAL obstacle would be awesome.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

steinio wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:03 am
You actually want Sweet Transit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612 ... t_Transit/
Doesn't this ring a bell ?
spoiler
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Cool, from a former Factorio developer. There cannot be enough Factorio-like games in the world.

Buffguytv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Buffguytv »

My friends lost interest in the game because of the absent news on expansion. Tried to tell them to be patient but too much time went by. They’re playing classic Burning crusade. It has now been over 8 months, I think it’s time for me to let go also and join my friends. 8 months with no news is a long time, and now I’m reading on other forums that it won’t be released well into 2023 which makes sense due to the absent communication. I did enjoy the time I spent on the game. For those of you more patient than me, I hope you enjoy the expansion next year, your wait will def payoff. God speed

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Buffguytv wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:26 am
My friends lost interest in the game because of the absent news on expansion. Tried to tell them to be patient but too much time went by. They’re playing classic Burning crusade. It has now been over 8 months, I think it’s time for me to let go also and join my friends. 8 months with no news is a long time, and now I’m reading on other forums that it won’t be released well into 2023 which makes sense due to the absent communication. I did enjoy the time I spent on the game. For those of you more patient than me, I hope you enjoy the expansion next year, your wait will def payoff. God speed
Err, you know you don’t have to play the game the whole time while you wait, or if you switch over to something else, abandon all intent to pick it back up when the expansion releases, right? And unless you have a quote from a dev saying 2023, I wouldn’t believe s**t on that.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

escfoe2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by escfoe2 »

Would really appreciate an update on this from Wube. Really looking forward to this. The suspense is killing me!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

escfoe2 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:34 pm
Would really appreciate an update on this from Wube. Really looking forward to this. The suspense is killing me!
yeah without any updates we can be guaranteed certain they're no longer working on it! Wube took the money and ran! and i'm sure their competition (Minecraft!) will do much better in their absence. RIP Wube, Long Live Wube

Buffguytv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Buffguytv »

@furyofthestars

Told you. Look at todays FF. I got good sources

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Buffguytv wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:11 pm
@furyofthestars

Told you. Look at todays FF. I got good sources
Yet you never linked to them. Sounds more like a case of lucky guess to me.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Buffguytv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Buffguytv »

being spot on with the intel, only for it to be confirmed by wube 2 weeks later is not a lucky guess lol

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

With as many people that are always throwing out their own theories on things? Unless it was a dev, then you basically got a lot of people out there throwing darts at a dart board. Someone is bond to hit a bullseye eventually.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Buffguytv wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:07 am
being spot on with the intel, only for it to be confirmed by wube 2 weeks later is not a lucky guess lol
https://wiki.lspace.org/Million-to-one_chance

Numnzel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Numnzel »

Hello, it is known if the expansion will feature new music tracks? I think they're awesome and would like to hear more. Searched info about but got nothing.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

The year is 2038, the world is in chaos because of the Y2K38 bug being worse than we ever expected. Inflation has peaked at 45,000% and the Wube DLC is finally released for the low price of $5,000.

Pockets
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pockets »

And another year (and a month) went by since this FFF, and I check every friday for any update. I guess I should keep waiting 😅.
Is the expansion still on development? Tell us at least this 😬

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Pockets wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm
And another year (and a month) went by since this FFF, and I check every friday for any update. I guess I should keep waiting 😅.
Is the expansion still on development? Tell us at least this 😬
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-372
and
viewforum.php?f=230

Buffguytv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Buffguytv »

My sources tell me development has stopped. They may start again in 2024. This was the same source that told me the expansion would not be released until 2023 back last October. This was two weeks before Wube announced the same thing.

TLDR: no expansion will be released in 2023

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

:roll:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Buffguytv wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:09 pm
My sources tell me development has stopped. They may start again in 2024. This was the same source that told me the expansion would not be released until 2023 back last October. This was two weeks before Wube announced the same thing.

TLDR: no expansion will be released in 2023
Buffguytv wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:26 am
Sorry to ask, but why are you still here ? Were you expecting the whole community and dev team to fall on their knees and implore you to stay a bit longer ? If waiting long enough for the work to be done is too long for your patience, it's your problem, not ours.

Return to “News”