Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Regular reports on Factorio development.
cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Post by cpy »

Well amount of time I spent in Factorio compared to other games is so high that only Oxygen not included is on par with it. I'd play ONI even more but that is exact opposite of factorio in terms of optimization.
You take break from factorio because your brain would explode.
You take break from ONI because your computer would explode (very badly unoptimized unplayable quite soon into game).

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

To this who complain about 30$ is too much for Eastern Europe, remember that steam has regional prices. So it will cost as "base" game

Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mike5000 »

The tricky part is, that we want to release basically directly to stable, without an experimental phase, like when we released 1.0. The reason is the obvious problem we would have otherwise: An experimental release is not interesting to many people, but by the time it becomes officially stable, it is old news and nobody cares. Hopefully the focus on automated tests and beta testing should make it smooth enough.
You do great when you work with community feedback.

Not so great when you try to ignore us: It took forever to get the original campaign back.

I don't see any upside to doing the opposite of what succeeded so well in the past.

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

The general goal is to make the expansion feel like as big an addition as the whole vanilla game. This is why we plan to price it at...

I'm not being hyperbolic. This is literally how much I trust the dev team at WUBE. They seriously need to do a TED talk about game design, in all it's facets, from organizing ideas, to honestly communicating the current state of the project to the public, and everything in between. I wish more dev teams were like WUBE!

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

As I understand it, 1.2 will be a free update to the base game, including all the engine upgrades and QoL stuff

The expansion then is a big mod you have to spend money on, where the term is more like a technical description and I feel this is where people who think it's overpriced get confused.

Alot of work that went into the expansion is free for people who don't buy it.
1.2 puts everyone on the same level in terms of code and I'm sure modders will use their new possibilities without making expansion mandatory.

As for the expansion I'm sure it will be worth it.
Wube knows their mod portal, they even hired one that made a big ass overhaul that keeps you playing for way longer than the base game.

Of my 3500ish hours I've spent about 4/5 in AB+PY. A huge expansion mod will let the price/hour drop even more and we'll soon need scientific notation for it.

Greycloak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Greycloak »

Hype!
I am so looking forward to this, even though there's still many great mods out there which I haven't played, new base content is just awesome.
Some people complain about usnot getting experimental access and questioning the quality of the expansion, but I can really sympathize with not wanting it the expansion to be old news when it releases.
I just want Factorio to become more popular!
Take my money :)

babemagus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by babemagus »

Hello,

Very good news !

If you have some alpha/beta tester need I would be happy to help.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Durabys wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:28 am
I am just surprised that you chose Old!XCOM/UFO:TFTD's Tentaculats as the inspiration for the new flying Biter.
What? Who said it's a biter? I thought that was the engineer evolution mk2 that is unlocked with genetic science.

With those tentacles you can craft 10 things at the same time, and the big brain allow you to control hybrid spidertrons without remote.

luckymike11
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by luckymike11 »

Beautiful graphics. Is 2GB VRAM enough to play on full graphic details? :D :)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I just came to say... yet_another_shut_up_and_take_my_money.gif :mrgreen:

frugal10191
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frugal10191 »

I have seen a number of people raging that the expansion is going to cost more than the base game. so here is a little comparison:
  • Factorio: Base £21, Expansion £30
  • Stellaris: Base £35, DLC £145
  • Civ 6: Base £50, DLC £127
  • Rimworld: Base £28, DLC £43
  • Oxygen not included: Base £19, DLC £11
(all prices are list prices in the Steam UK store, different regions and sales will affect these prices).

So apart from ONI, every game charges more for the DLC than the base game. I do not think that Factorio Expansion is too expensive, but rather than the base game is really cheap.

frugal10191
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frugal10191 »

malecord wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 am
What? Who said it's a biter? I thought that was the engineer evolution mk2 that is unlocked with genetic science.
We have never seen the Engineer with their helmet off, it could have been the big brain all along...

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 am
Alot of work that went into the expansion is free for people who don't buy it.
1.2 puts everyone on the same level in terms of code and I'm sure modders will use their new possibilities without making expansion mandatory.
If I understand correctly, that's not the case, that the 1.2 base engine (without expansion) is capable of everything the expansion will use. There are 2 versions, one with expansion code and one without. The expansion engine contains everything from base engine.

On the other hand 1.2 base engine will contain some fixes and QoL stuff
Last edited by jodokus31 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Flying?

Or under water?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

frugal10191 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:02 pm
I have seen a number of people raging that the expansion is going to cost more than the base game. so here is a little comparison:
  • Factorio: Base £21, Expansion £30
  • Stellaris: Base £35, DLC £145
  • Civ 6: Base £50, DLC £127
  • Rimworld: Base £28, DLC £43
  • Oxygen not included: Base £19, DLC £11
(all prices are list prices in the Steam UK store, different regions and sales will affect these prices).

So apart from ONI, every game charges more for the DLC than the base game. I do not think that Factorio Expansion is too expensive, but rather than the base game is really cheap.
They said $30, not £30. That's exactly the price of the base game. I'd assume they're going to adjust that for all regions to be the same as the base game.

Also that's a bit of an unfair comparison seeing as you're counting games with multiple DLC, which come in discount bundles. Factorio will never have a discount.

Azzinoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Azzinoth »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:15 pm
If I understand correctly, that's not the case, that the 1.2 base engine (without expansion) is capable of everything the expansion will use. There are 2 versions, one with expansion code and one without. The expansion engine contains everything from base engine.

On the other hand 1.2 base engine will contain some fixes and QoL stuff
Thats wrong. They literally said in the FFF that there is only one version of the game and the expansion mod works like a flag which enables expansion content.
FFF wrote: This lead us to a different plan. We will release the 1.2 update to the base game, and the expansion will be based on the same version, and will also contain the expansion mod. The executables will be slightly different, so you couldn't just install the expansion mod without having the expansion executable, but other than that, the code will be identical.

paddlewand
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by paddlewand »

Expansion to factorio... from you guys.... hmmm i still have about 500 hours left in this map....

I'm in.

Big Mike
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Big Mike »

I really do like the monster concept art

firestar246
Inserter
Inserter

Post by firestar246 »

Oooooh, the monster looks aquatic! Could this be a clue to water content!?! Boats, bridges, etc?
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

doppelEben
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doppelEben »

Davolution wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:13 am
DRY411S wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:05 pm
Gehaktbal wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:53 pm
doppelEben wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:49 pm
cpy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:10 pm
I need a preorder button and wouldn't even care if the expansion doesn't live up to expectations.
+1 The £ per hour played is the lowest of any game I have bought, by several orders of magnitude.
+1 Same here, $/hr the lowest ever seen (>2500hr on steam + 200h pre-steam), would pre-order, try experimental version, and I am already asking for week off on release week to enjoy this game... no question ask! :D :mrgreen:
*laughs&cries with 4200+h* lol

Return to “News”