Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Post by Ohz »

Oh my god guys, have you read that? They are adding trains !
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Which all due respect:

To have your unclear statement on price matters transparent:

Will the price of 30$ be the price for existing users to get the upgrade to the new version?
- and
what will be the price for a new customer buying himself right into the 1.2 version?
will that be 60$?
- and
will the release see the light of the day within 1st or 2nd half of 2022?

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shuisman »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:34 pm
Which all due respect:

To have your unclear statement on price matters transparent:

Will the price of 30$ be the price for existing users to get the upgrade to the new version?
- and
what will be the price for a new customer buying himself right into the 1.2 version?
will that be 60$?
- and
will the release see the light of the day within 1st or 2nd half of 2022?
Why not 3rd, 4th, or 5th?

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:34 pm
will that be 60$?
It sounds like the expansion will be a complete game as well, meaning new players will only have to buy the expansion. They mention that the expantion will be sortoff like a mod, and able to be "toggled" off, which seems to comfirm this thought.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

linktothepast83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linktothepast83 »

The released art makes me hopeful that there will be some form of usage for water tiles, maybe water resources and enemies. :)

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

Ohz wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:32 pm
Oh my god guys, have you read that? They are adding trains !
:shock:

egerlach
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by egerlach »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:00 pm
therhodanist wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:47 pm
Very nice to hear.
Little question, does the Expansion add to the Base game, meaning a playtrought of it contains all Base-Game features, or does it function as an alternate way of playing, that disables or surplants certain base features in favor of its own way or out of balancing considerations?
All base game features will be there, the word "expansion" kind of suggest expansion on the top of current mechanics and content.
I'm interested in hearing a bit more about this not because of what it means for me, but to understand how you view your business model, because I find those kinds of things interestingd.

The way I'm reading what you're thinking right now is that someone new to the game would only need to buy the "expansion" and they would get all of the current vanilla game as well. Existing players would need to buy the expansion to get up to "1.2" and all new updates after the initial release will be on that 1.2 stream. Is that correct?

If so, I just want to say that I think that's an exceedingly fair way to do it. It lets new players in for a reasonable price, but says to the existing players: "Hey, we've given you how many hundreds of hours of enjoyment? Could you consider throwing us a bone for the next thousand hours?"

Love the game, can't wait, but am also willing to wait. All the best to the whole team.

fijau
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fijau »

A rough time estimate would be very appreciated. I really hope, it's less than a year.

Just put a preorder up. That will motivate you to be on schedule and let us show our support :) Also, please make a premium version with a higher price, so that some of us could support you even more.

People complaining already 30 USD is too much. To me, a person from Eastern Europe this seems surreal. 30 USD, converted to my local currency sounds reasonable. For Americans it's several hours of minimum-wage work. How can you complain about this price? :)
Last edited by fijau on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tokk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tokk »

It is a great pleasure to hear news about the update! Is there anything concrete about beta participation, when can you apply where? Are there any requirements?
P.S.: I am more than willing to pay the full price even if I participate in the beta, just for the endless hours of Factorio the price is actually much too low ;)

bman212121
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bman212121 »

Great news! I look forward to giving this a go.

I'll add my one side comment about my wish for the expansion.

Can someone revisit the Windows SteamCMD version of the dedicated server? On Linux there's an option for headless and doesn't require authentication and is supported by a 3rd party to allow incremental updates. On Windows there is not really a way to achieve the same functionality. Would it be possible to get an actual dedicated server version of the game for running headless that can be updated?

It would be really nice if we could get some feature parity for the dedicated servers and an official way to quickly update and maintain servers. It's one of those things that isn't user facing but it's still one of the more rough areas of the game for the people to need to run the servers everyone plays on.

Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redpossum »

Am I just a pervert, or do I see what look like titties in that bottom picture?

silenceko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by silenceko »

Brainbug incoming :D

PaszaVonPomiot
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PaszaVonPomiot »

I'm not very interested to see fantasy genre in Factorio with flying monsters and magic. I would definitely prefer to have Space Exploration mod or something similar in nature developed, polished and implemented into the base game. But regardles of what you do you'll have my money anyway.

Izithel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Izithel »

Generally I abhor buying something in 'Early Access' or on 'Release'....
But like everyone I have a weakness, gonna buy this the moment I can.

Considering the amount of Hours I put into Factorio so far, another 30 bucks is still a bargain!
Last edited by Izithel on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

You talked about trains implementation expample and hired moder who made very nice vehicles.
Does it means we can expect automation of vehicles ?
Can we expect vehicles composed of modules so you add components on a chasis based on your needs ?

Also the new oponent brain means, the late gameplay shift from "build largest factory optimised for your CPU" to "compete smart oponents" ?

Is the new expansion oriented for calm building or rather outsmart opponents by sneaky design of own vehicles?

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

I don't know about 30$. It's quite a steep price for DLC in Western Europe. I guess I will have to wait and see what will be the general opinion about this add on, and get it only if it will be universally acclaimed, or hope that no discount policy will change with more products for sale.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

cpy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:10 pm
this

Tokk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tokk »

irbork wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:50 pm
I don't know about 30$. It's quite a steep price for DLC in Western Europe.
If you look at the fff:
The general goal is to make the expansion feel like as big an addition as the whole vanilla game
It doesn't seem expensive at all. Also where in Western Europe is 30€ considered expensive?

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

I understang that it's not "now" change, but can somebody explain what $30 referred in FFF are exactly about?

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

I like Factorio a lot, but €30,- is really too steep in my opinion. €10,- makes sense, making it at least cheaper than the actual game.

Return to “News”