Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Post by FactorioBot »

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #367 - Expansion news

Post by POPISowyNumer »

Yay
Wonder how long it will take to port bobangles for the new expansion

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Very Very nice FFF.

I have a question about price - base game price change? To play expansion you must pay $20 and $30? Or something missed?

Do you thinking about easier mod management without restart whole game?
Do you improve network connectivity?

therhodanist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by therhodanist »

Very nice to hear.
Little question, does the Expansion add to the Base game, meaning a playtrought of it contains all Base-Game features, or does it function as an alternate way of playing, that disables or surplants certain base features in favor of its own way or out of balancing considerations?
Last edited by therhodanist on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyWired
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ScottyWired »

Very intriguing! That floating brain is horrifying but I can't stop looking at it.

How much do you think will be revealed in future Friday Facts? I love getting technical details about Factorio to help with my own game development, but I also want to go into this expansion as blind as possible.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Ohhh this seems like a violent type of expansion. That would be cool.
The general goal is to make the expansion feel like as big an addition as the whole vanilla game. This is why we plan to price it at $30.00, and put in enough content to make it well worth the price.
This means that for a new player looking to play the expansion, it's 60 bucks for the whole shebang, which is a bit steep for them (we know it's worth it and that there's 10+ years of work behind it, but they don't). From that one would assume it's more so going to be targeting the existing playerbase, then. Kind of like the big mods do.
Last edited by Drury on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Can you load a "vanilla" factory with the expansion, and meaningfully enjoy it?
Or is something so basic changing, that you will have to start a new playthrough?
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

therhodanist wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:47 pm
Very nice to hear.
Little question, does the Expansion add to the Base game, meaning a playtrought of it contains all Base-Game features, or does it function as an alternate way of playing, that disables or surplants certain base features in favor of its own way or out of balancing considerations?
All base game features will be there, the word "expansion" kind of suggest expansion on the top of current mechanics and content.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

That "Cthulhu's Brain" thing on the concept art feels super fresh. I hope the rest of the expansion will share that feeling. I don't want to be in the group of people who play it before it's finished this time though.

therhodanist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by therhodanist »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:00 pm
therhodanist wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:47 pm
Very nice to hear.
All base game features will be there, the word "expansion" kind of suggest expansion on the top of current mechanics and content.
I'm very excited to hear that.
I was wary of sth like(just examples) the expansion being like on a virulent alien planet and going a tower defense route, where the bots and trains would be cut to emphasize the small good defended base route or sth.
But now im all fired up. :D

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Drury wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:57 pm
This means that for a new player looking to play the expansion, it's 60 bucks for the whole shebang, which is a bit steep for them (we know it's worth it and that there's 10+ years of work behind it, but they don't). From that one would assume it's more so going to be targeting the existing playerbase, then. Kind of like the big mods do.
Maybe there will be an offer for someone willing to buy both at the same time who knows :)

I was happy to read about the update, now i'm excited !

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Man, it has been so long since I have been hyped for a game release, or for new gameplay content for factorio.
I'd be willing to do unreasonable things for being in the closed testing group alone.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Drury wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:57 pm
Ohhh this seems like a violent type of expansion. That would be cool.
The general goal is to make the expansion feel like as big an addition as the whole vanilla game. This is why we plan to price it at $30.00, and put in enough content to make it well worth the price.
I would say this is the intent. They said that the expansion is made for 'people who already played the game, and want MORE factorio', which means they can effort to make it harder, to require more use of the various mechanics, in a way that vanilla doesn't (you can beat the game without using any circuits, minimal fluid use, no nuclear, no trains, etc).

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

Incredibly exciting, can't wait to see what you have to show us! I'm sure the expansion will suck another 1000 hours out of my life, just as the original did.

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

I am really excited but unfortunately there's a chance you'll launch the expansion when I'm on a work and travel trip around the world.

But I didn't really get the expansion / expansion mod thing. The expansion will be update 1.2 with qol and other improvements. The expansion mod is what you pay for and is reliant on v1.2 and is containing all the main features, (hopefully) including that gruesome brain thingy. Is that right?
Please consider english is not my native language.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

Awwww :3

Application for closed beta testing: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=b ... mit=Search

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

cpy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:10 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

whymeintrouble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whymeintrouble »

This is awesome news! Thanks for this on my birthday. Best news I've heard in a while! Thank you for all the hard work and can't wait to give you my money

Hyperbar00
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyperbar00 »

I trust you so much, I'll buy this expansion blindly day one and even pre-order it if possible
I just can't WAIT

Return to “News”