Friday Facts #249 - Dead end exploration

Regular reports on Factorio development.
linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #249 - Dead end exploration

Post by linearj »

Two thoughts on blueprints:
Present - I have yet to figure out how to access the blueprint library and move things between them. I have been exporting as strings and storing in a text file.
Future - How about having a separate blueprint GUI? E.g., display the library on the right under the informational GUI in the upper right, but with a hot key (B?) that toggles it on and off...
- LinearJ

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

linearj wrote:Two thoughts on blueprints:
Present - I have yet to figure out how to access the blueprint library and move things between them. I have been exporting as strings and storing in a text file.
Future - How about having a separate blueprint GUI? E.g., display the library on the right under the informational GUI in the upper right, but with a hot key (B?) that toggles it on and off...
Have you tried pressing b? It's the hotkey for the blueprint library in my game.

linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linearj »

Yes... that is how I got to the ability to stringify blueprints.
I can use blueprints just fine. I could just never figure out how to access my "library". I.e., my blueprints external to the current game.
I have been copying the string versions to a text file and back into new games in order to copy between games.

I did some more exploring since this post and found that if you have a blueprint selected, there is a box that says "drag here to export". That is part of the piece missing for me. Now that I found it, my blueprints are exported.
But, I don't know how to *import* them into my next game. I will have to take a look for that.

Overall, as the FFF mentioned, blueprints are kinda klunky right now, and I am looking forward to seeing what 0.17 brings! Hopefully blueprints that are completely decoupled from inventory, as I think that solves 99% of the problems.
- LinearJ

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Any solution that removes blueprints as actual game items is fine with me.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Lav wrote:Any solution that removes blueprints as actual game items is fine with me.
Any solution that removes blueprints as actual game items is fine with me.

Beuteschema
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beuteschema »

i like the "game blueprints" that are exclusive to one save
couldnt this be kept for the temporary blueprints and the global section is for blueprints between saves?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

linearj wrote:Yes... that is how I got to the ability to stringify blueprints.
I can use blueprints just fine. I could just never figure out how to access my "library". I.e., my blueprints external to the current game.
I have been copying the string versions to a text file and back into new games in order to copy between games.

I did some more exploring since this post and found that if you have a blueprint selected, there is a box that says "drag here to export". That is part of the piece missing for me. Now that I found it, my blueprints are exported.
But, I don't know how to *import* them into my next game. I will have to take a look for that.

Overall, as the FFF mentioned, blueprints are kinda klunky right now, and I am looking forward to seeing what 0.17 brings! Hopefully blueprints that are completely decoupled from inventory, as I think that solves 99% of the problems.
Click on the book at the top right to open the library. You must have done that already because that is where you get a blank blueprint from too.

Return to “News”