Factorio Abandoned Colony/Cities (WIP and really large map)

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Factorio Abandoned Colony/Cities (WIP and really large map)

Post by lilstrip »

Hey, just wanted to post this on here. Don't have the energy to actually make something that looks presentable so I will just be straight to the point. This took a couple hundreds hours to make painfully so its kinda my baby and I am waiting for the new update to start working on it again since it will be a lot faster. This isn't done so please keep that in mind and also you might want to upgrade your ram and reduce autosave times by A LOT. Anyways have fun and please don't steal this to make your own version... the next time I get the chance to keep working on it your version will be completely out-dated so for the time being just have fun looking at the progress. Anyways I know most people won't bother to read this and just download it like a seagull would savagely eat McDonald fries so I guess contact me on discord if you wanna help :3 would be fun

Maelstrom

(normally I am not that anti-social, I only have 3 hours of sleep right now so keep that in mind :3 )

heres the latest map version download

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CHTyu ... bbs4jhG_eL <=====

heres pics of some of the sections:
aaa

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio Abandoned Colony/Cities (WIP and really large map)

Post by CJ5Boss »

That looks amazing. Now I want to go on the map editor and make my own megafactory for play.

Phil87
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Phil87 »

Ive tried downloading this but all that comes down is a blueprint.dat file, am i missing something or am i putting this in the wrong folder ??

Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\scenarios\"Blueprint"

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

yeah it should be in the scenarios folder.

you need to go to users/.../appdata/roaming/factorio/scenarios

in there create a folder and give it a name and put the blueprint file in there. Whatever name you will give the folder will be the name of the scenario. In case it needs to have a specific name make sure you name it "Factorio" because that blueprint file might have an internal path that needs it to be named that way but this would surprise me.

make sure you dont change the name of the file btw. It should remain as blueprint.dat

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

yeah it should be in the scenarios folder.

you need to go to users/.../appdata/roaming/factorio/scenarios

in there create a folder and give it a name and put the blueprint file in there. Whatever name you will give the folder will be the name of the scenario. In case it needs to have a specific name make sure you name it "Factorio" because that blueprint file might have an internal path that needs it to be named that way but this would surprise me.

make sure you dont change the name of the file btw. It should remain as blueprint.dat

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

still waiting for 0.17 to keep working on this project btw. Its not dead :3

rasmh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rasmh »

Hi, it is e very nice map and large.

If i load it, there is no ammunition and almost no electricity.

Can you give a hint what to do first ?

Regards,
Rasmh

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

welp 0.17 is out so ill start working on this project again. Progress will be slower due to college but this'll be fun!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

rasmh wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi, it is e very nice map and large.

If i load it, there is no ammunition and almost no electricity.

Can you give a hint what to do first ?

Regards,
Rasmh
this map is still heavily WIP, last time i worked on it was in july i believe so yeah, right now its mostly a scenery map thats just fun to explore and try to make it work but its not actually playable yet. Ressource patches are way too far appart so its a hassle to get anything started!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

Welp, all i have is great news for those interested!

The new copy and paste feature in the new 0.17 update was totally worth the wait, progress is just INSANE! Ive managed to do things that would have taken AGES in a matter of a few hours! Currently reworking the whole southern section first as its just absolutely terrible looking and I felt like changing the long desert biome into some really really cool mountain ranges which you can zoom by at insane speeds long after those who built this wonderful train track perished in the event.

As far as making a multiplayer server i am really thinking of making one but since this map is gonna be even bigger than i imagined (with the new feature i can litterally make entire cities in a few days only which is insane) i will most likely make the map as big as the planet would actually be if possible. This might make it impossible for low end computers to run the map because of ram requirements but as far as performance spec needs size doesnt matter if theres no huge production chains going on, which there isnt.

This map will be more about exploring and traveling to find resources more than actually building factories from scratch which should be really fun to play in the end. Train layouts will be massive due to distance. Distances are so long that small trains wont really be useful since time will now be a constraint so ill be generous and leave you a oddly well maintained TGV network to travel faster than cargo train lines.

Now if anyone wants to help out by making some really nice 3D rendered buildings or ruins specifically for this map that would be nice because I don't know if I will have time to do that with college sadly.

As always, if anyone wants to help out and make their own sections it would be fun because its now possible to work on a map like this coop in 0.17.XX! Its a bit like this crazy minecraft map project: http://198.178.122.76:8124/

made a discord for factorio map making if anyone wants to join: https://discord.gg/QnBFrq
Would be fun to have a server dedicated to making large factorio maps :P
I will also post most of the progress there and only post download links to the map here. Imbeding pictures on the forum is kinda annoying but ill keep doing it if people really want them.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

welp, even more good news, turns out 0.17.XX actually reduced the map size by more than half of its 16.51 counterpart... This means ill be able to put as much detail in the map as vanilla areas without having to worry as much!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

new south branch

map overview

WIP south cliffs

Shakar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shakar »

This is actually quite inspiring to have me make a continent, as much hell as it would be to do so, but quite inspiring!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

eh, its more like a side thing tbh, its really fun to build a map like this and I hope others could join in on the bamd wagon using the new map editor! imagine what can be done with the new editor if it took 3 months to make the majority of the map using the old editor... that south pass took 4 hours to make something shitty orignially and the new system allowed me to make something 10 tikes better in the same time

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

gonna do some tests with map generation and see if i can get a better setting for the second half of the map. That area will contain a city MUCH bigger than the one already built since the new copy past option will allow for this crazy urban biome to be made!

Also going to change the map in the way that it will now be surrounded by valley cliffs which will now be the map border. This is to help organize the map and make it easier for me to build this stage by stage. Currently setting this up but before i do this I need to generate the terrain before actually closing the whole thing. This is especially tricky since it means i will have to edit alot of the conflicting regions and for this reason the map will now have a GIANT ocean in the middle. Itll also make the city harbor make a lot more sense since itll be situated to the west of that huge city.

as for the southern pass its almost done and all I have to do is make the final changes but ill focus on that later

/c local radius=150 game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface, {{game.player.position.x-radius, game.player.position.y-radius},{game.player.position.x+radius, game.player.position.y+radius}})

thank god for this command xD

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

https://discord.gg/tGVjFg in case you want updates more frequently

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

gonna try to work on this project everyday just to keep the pace going. If anyone wants to actually join in to start helping on this massive project feel free to join the discord and I'll be glad to accept any help :3

==>If you want to be an early access tester it would really make this go faster as i wont have to playtest myself and it will save me a lot of time to make this map move along even faster, as always head onto the discord to hit me up and ill tell you when i need something tested! You will need at least 16gb of ram and a fast HDD or SSD would be required for the moment (map not fully optimised)
https://discord.gg/mjPf85
<==

currently finishing up the starting area, did some trouble shooting and surprisingly the train track layout in the city actually works not too bad! pumped the whole train network with almost 40 trains with some having more than 24 wagons in length and after only 30 minutes of fixing the slight gridlocks it was working wonderfully well so ill leave it like that and its going to be up to the player to get it working :3

other than that ill try to reduce the size of the map as much as i can (the new terrain i generated for the future sections made the save file go from 200mb to 900+). I think i can actually get it down to around 600 or maybe even less as there are a lot more trees in the new biomes and ill just make the huge ocean in the middle larger.

As for resources this map will be perfect if you hate factorio early game since i will give plenty of early already setup stuff for early game but any large strategic facility and mass mining operations you will have to fight bitters to have access to those. Uranium mines will also be really far away from the starting area so you are forced to use older tech before getting the fancy stuff.

As for balancing this map the new boundaries I added to the map makes it alot easier to flesh out the map and the pace is going really well despite the scale of it.

Lasty mods: I will make this map compatible with bobs, angel and any large scale mass production chains will have already setup facilities for those setups. Sadly you will have to build those setups from scratch but ill give plenty of abandoned factories already hooked up to the train network just to make that easier. As for map exterior bounderies there will be a couple in case you want to go outside the abandoned valley and i will make a map so you can easily figure out where to go.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

new pics for curious folks
posted a newer version of factoria on the discord for those who wanna try it out

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

would love to test it, but the 16GB RAm scared me
guess its time to think about upgarding this 6 year old "monster "

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

I dont know if 16gb is required for sure tbh... but task manager says factorio is using that much and knowing the fact i have 32gigs means it probably uses alot more than it actually needs :P

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”