The von Neumann Thread

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
Yarma92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: The von Neumann Thread

Post by Yarma92 »

Any update as to the status of the last game? If it has been abandoned whats the protocol?

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

Yarma92 wrote:Any update as to the status of the last game? If it has been abandoned whats the protocol?
i think you have to start from Greyman's seed
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Yarma92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yarma92 »

Alekthefirst wrote:i think you have to start from Greyman's seed
Thanks, thats what I though. Will post some Story and screen shots of it so far in a bit but for now.

....Ugh what a day I get back myself back on my feat after a crash landing only to discover that upon contacting my employers they were going to transfer my consciousness from this unit to another to deal with a colonization effort they lost contact with. I have been told to assume all natives are hostile, I will begin uploading details of this new 'venture' when the transfer is completed. End Personal Log.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Sorry,

RL is not nice to me.

If you like, I can give you my save to continue.

Yarma92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yarma92 »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:Sorry,

RL is not nice to me.

If you like, I can give you my save to continue.
I don't mind tbh. I have already gotten started on the map. Hope RL eases up for you I share your pain though, im a final year university student getting ready to take my final exams!

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Yarma92 wrote:...

I don't mind tbh. I have already gotten started on the map. Hope RL eases up for you I share your pain though, im a final year university student getting ready to take my final exams!
Thx for your understanding.

For me it is money related :(. My exams are some decades passed :).

But I hope to get on row in this month.

Yarma92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yarma92 »

Well they were not kidding with the locals on this planet! I ain't never gonna get this gunk from out of all the joints in this suit. Still taking out a few of their nests has calmed the attacks. Production lines are running smoothly and I think I can afford to increase my research capacity now. Work on phasing out coal is progressing slowly. I should get around to automating the production of solar panels sometime in the next few days. Here is the layout for the facility so far. Damn water bodies are keeping me building to the right currently but at least its one less direction for the locals to poke me from!

Updates may be a bit slow currently due to exams!
Jackobin signing off.
Pic

ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ajranney »

//Begin Mission Log
Two previous cadets failed to colonize my next target. Early reports indicated biter activity was a problem from multiple directions. Weapons are going to be high priority. Command decided to send me the "seasoned" engineer. Command has some interesting standards for engineers. Sure they give me a few simulations, but then they throw you right into missions. I have three successful missions under my belt, but it still leaves me feeling uneasy when i'm sent to a world where others have failed. I plan on keeping my build small to attract less attention.
//Satellite image 1 uploaded
I have red and green science running. The iron and copper here is literally next to the coal i need to process it. I used my shotgun to clear out a few nearby nests to keep the peace.
//Satellite image 2 uploaded
Basic oil processing is running. Batteries and plastic are in production. Laser turrets are available finally.
//Satellite image 3 uploaded
I have blue science running but not automated, i currently am manually inserting the required components. I look forward to my robotic log-net. I used laser turrets to clear a lot of biter nests.
//Satellite image 4 uploaded
My robot network is up and running. I have set up enough solar farms to disconnect my steam power. I hope the power change helps decrease the bitters that come through. I'm going to take a nap while my robots work.
//Satellite image 5 uploaded
http://imgur.com/a/tIF0d#0
I started from Greyman's seed

Code: Select all

>>>AAALAAUAAAADAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAwoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwIECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAwoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAgQBBQAAAHN0b25lAwMCj4LFWii4AACZVQAAAAAAAAAAAA
AEAOCs3/o=<<<
My seed:

>>>AAALABYAAAAFAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwMDCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMEAwoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwMDBQAAAHN0b25lAwMCq+KDzeUaAADVPAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAEVTD3I=<<<

thegreyman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thegreyman »

*Start recording*

Well, back to the grind. The vacation the brass let me take was nice, although a little bit short. I'd prefer to stay on the beaches of Vega Minor, but I do have to pay the bills. It seems they've had a few colonies that haven't gotten off the ground lately, so the bosses that be decided to pay my slightly higher fee so they could get a new colony started right away.

*Day One*
Well this is going to be interesting. It seems that my original data download was crap, and I won't be able to use any logistic robots as the blueprint came up with a big fat <DATA CORRUPTED>. It won't be a critical issue, although I'm sure as things get developed, the resultant mess will be felt. Luckily, R&D has been busy lately and sent over some new schematics for use. SlipStream chests will be great for buffering large quantities of goods, in case of overages/shortages. I also have access to the FARL 2.0, which should help when I need to start laying loads of tracks to acquire more resources. Last but not least, someone actually came up with a good plan for mass cultivation of trees to use for fuel.

The original starting point was a little short of resources besides iron, so I relocated to the northeast a short bit. Of course the company never does a prescan of the surface, they just dump you down. The amount of small lakes here is phenomenal, it's definitely going to impact my base building as I'm sure crucial expansions will run into the shoreline just as I'm looking to place the last few buildings.

The natives have been ... non-existent. I've never seen it this quiet. It's quite scary, as I'm sure they are just waiting for my guard to go down before they pounce.

Still, it's late and the basics are done, so it's time to turn in.
Day One
*Day Two*
Work continues on standard development track. Research has been automated up to green science packs, so work is proceeding well. Iron is coming in very slow right now, so plans are to expand production three fold. I've started using a few Slipstream Chests to create buffers, but I'm not able to overproduce anything yet except for copper.

Still no word from the natives. Maybe this world is free of those pests?
Day Two

*Day Three*
Iron production has been maximized for a while now, having a buffer of 2000 plates waiting to deploy is a nice bonus. Almost the whole factory has been upgraded to faster belts and improved furnaces, so it's time to start oil production. Besides three small patches near the copper mine, the closest oil will almost require train delivery, so work is starting on train development as well. It will be a good chance to try out the FARL and see what the fuss is about.

A few biters were detected chewing on transport belts, so I've dropped guns in several vulnerable areas to fend them off. I haven't decided yet on if I'll be doing a full defensive perimeter or not. Small isolated forts seem to have been working for other planets, so we will see if that will work here. Radar has shown very few isolated biter nests, so maybe the alien presence here is light.
Day Three

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

I really want to join in this, but I don't want to steal someone else's fun, so I'll wait until thegreyman is done with his run ;)

thegreyman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thegreyman »

*Day Four*
I believe I've built the largest stock foundry I've ever done yet. 60 each of iron and copper furnaces. Right now, I have a surplus of iron and copper ore as neither are running near 100% capacity, but I know as the circuit network needs improvement, those demands will grow exponentially. An iron deposit is right in the way of the planned circuit board expansion, and I don't want to waste the resources from it yet, as I haven't been able to get my train network up and running yet, so blue boards will have to wait for a little bit.

I'm starting to feel the crunch from no logistic robots. The construction robots are working well, but not being able to build a central location for small item construction is beginning to show it's strain. I've had to start figuring out where to add small item assembly locations so that I can get electric poles and laser turrets manufactured without interrupting my usual layouts.

The Citadel defense didn't work as I thought it would, as a few biters were always able to squeeze between defensive chunks by taking (to them) acceptable losses. Just one blue biter inside my perimeter destroyed quite a number of factories, and so I decided to return to the Fortress defense. They can't get through a wall when it goes completely around the base.
Day 4
*Day Six*
Sorry for not updating, but work on the factory has been unrelenting. Not having access to logistic bots has drastically increased the complexity of my standard layout. AND THE WATER! WATER EVERYWHERE! I haven't seen a straight section of train track in two days. I swear it looks like a drunken engineer (that would be me) has been laying these tracks everywhere with as many twists and turns as possible just to induce nausea in the riders. The FARL was useful occasionally, but it was harder than normal to use do to the constant need to relay sections of track that hit water. The biters began to get cunning later today as well. Since there was so much water around, they began taking strange paths to attack outposts. Unless I would completely fortify one, they always found some way through. I know I must have been missing some small paths around the waters edge, but I swear I built walls complete to the edge.
Main Factory
Even so, I built a few extra outposts to bring in extra iron and copper. With 30 miners working for each one, I was able to keep this monstrosity of a foundry running full bore. I also improved my circuit construction to about twice what I normally have for green and red circuits. It was able to keep up with blue circuits and the advancement packs much more easily this time.
Foundry and Circuits
I think I found a new layout for the advancement packs this time around. It's probably the one good thing about not having logistic bots, it forces you to think in a different way than normal. It did begin to strain production of green circuits, so in the future, I'll need to add a number extra of those.
Advancement packs
Overall, this planet was slightly irritating to build on. I can understand why the brass wants to take this one over, as the plentiful water deposits will likely make a great resort planet. I just know I'd never want to stay here.
Finals
Scouted a new planet before heading back to the Vega IV. It seems to have quite good iron deposits, although copper may be a little low. Coal is definitely going to be hard to find; whoever lands here will either need to quickly change to solar power or will need to use the oil reserves to boost power production. The water level is low on this planet, except right where the probe landed. There do seem to be quite a number of biter nests out there, so I'm sure things will heat up quickly.
I'll be back on Vega IV sipping my tangeritas waiting for my next assignment.
New board

ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ajranney »

//Begin Mission Log
Many successful missions can lead to overconfidence. I hear of engineers that build too big when they get confident. I typically try to build small and keep my pollution away from biters. This next mission looks poor from the satellite image but when i landed i was pleased to find the small appearing ore deposits were actually quite rich. Coal is available but in low supply. Nearby oil may be a good supplement for burnable materials. There is talk in high command of a new type of rocket we may be using. I also heard whispers that the rapid colonial expansion has resulted in high material demands on the developed colonies. These demands further result in corporate financing of some missions not for colonization but for wealth. As long as I get paid I do not care why they pay me.
I am trying a new smelter setup where i smelt where i mine. This is a belt-less smelter system and I may use it again in the future depending on how this goes. I have red and green science automated but i have to haul iron and copper over to feed the system.
Basic oil processing is running. I plan on expanding to a stall resistant process to maintain solid fuel production when advanced oil processing is available.
This is my satellite overview prior to using laser turrets to clean out nearby biters. I upgraded to 40 boilers to ensure power production with lasers is not too burdensome on my network.
//Satellite image 4 uploaded
Satellite overview after laser turret clean out.
//Satellite image 5 uploaded
I have blue science running and chips and modules are going into production. Robots available and in use. Soon I can relax while my robots finish production.
//Satellite image 6 uploaded
Rocket launched.
//Satellite image 7 uploaded
Next Target has seemingly no biters. This will make production easy but alien artifacts will be a chore to collect. A nearby Ocean makes the starting location easy to defend.
Satellite images:
http://imgur.com/a/KoOY3
New seed:

>>>AAALABYAAAACAgYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAgoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AgQDCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAgIBCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAgQDBQAAAHN0b25lAwMC+kn22wM3AABzFgAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAK40fhk=<<<
In case this seed is not completed or started by the next update i reserve the right to offer a new seed for the new version.

RickyRio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RickyRio »

ajranney wrote: New seed:

>>>AAALABYAAAACAgYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAgoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AgQDCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAgIBCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAgQDBQAAAHN0b25lAwMC+kn22wM3AABzFgAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAK40fhk=<<<
<Begin Transmission Signal>
>Touchdown successful
>Unit: Ricky(238423), Status Online.

>Begin Post-Landing Checklist
>>Unit Diagnostic complete: No issues
>>Basic area scan complete:
Scan
>>Above Average levels of Liquid and Solid Hydrocarbons
>>Minerals suitable for construction material appear to be spread out but in concentrated deposits.
>>Alien location/strength unknown. None within basic scan range.
>Post Landing Checklist complete

>Priority Checklist Compiled
>> Begin mining operations
>> Begin Radar sweep to discover any possible alien threats.

>Long range broadcast shutting down due to low power
>Expect new broadcast within 72 hours as per standard protocol
<End Transmission Signal>

RickyRio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RickyRio »

<Begin Transmission Signal>
>Update 001 --- Data Transmitting
>---
>---
>---
>Transmission complete.

>Begin Report
>>Power and basic facilities Online
Base Camp
>>Radar Online
>>Begin Radar Playback
Radar Imaging
>>Warning: Aliens Detected
>>Threat level: Very Low
>>Range: Far
>>Estimated time until detection: N/A

>Radar contact appears to be a single worm or a traveling party that was caught in our radar sweep. Be alert for possible enemy attack.
>Proceeding with factory construction to the North of current position
>Area to west south west possible rail yard location.

<End Transmission Signal>

RickyRio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RickyRio »

Just a simple picture update due to being lazy:
Pre .12
Post .12
Notes: Concrete is awesome. new turrets are great, (although they somewhat defeat the purpose of walls due to each laser turret having 1k hp)

Still todo: Rail station/mining network

RickyRio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RickyRio »

Ricky World Final: Story updates are hard
Rocket Silo Security Area
Rocket with satellite launch
Score Screen
New Map and Seed

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is beautiful. I'll link it from show your creations.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Killgore32
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Killgore32 »

RickyRio wrote:Ricky World Final: Story updates are hard
Rocket Silo Security Area
Rocket with satellite launch
Score Screen
New Map and Seed
Ricky, your map is unwinnable due to it being an island with no biter nests on it, unless they add boats or bridges. Care to post another?

ajranney
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ajranney »

//Begin Mission Log
I heard there was an island that needed colonizing. I decided to tackle the mission with a new module that was available through high command. It allowed me to use stone to fill in water to allow me to get off my island. They call the module "Landfill 2.1.5".
I have red and green science running. Oil is running to ensure solid fuel is steady for my steam engines. There is a lack of worry about pollution creating problems and there are large oil deposits available. Together these make a situation where I think that steam fueled by solid fuel is the way to go .
Radars have finally identified the nearest land for me to head toward. I plan on running a train in case i need to get supplies to and from the mainland. There will be an added bonus of being able to take a train to the mainland when i need to visit.
Rocket launched. I had made 100 solar panels and 100 accumulators and eventually scavenged them to make my satellite. I sometimes wonder what new satellite infrastructure I am helping set up but then I see my paycheck and forget about asking.
Satellite image database:
http://imgur.com/a/tIF0d#0
I started from Ricky's seed
My seed:

>>>AAAMAAQAAwADAAYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwMCCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwMCBQAAAHN0b25lAwMCOMNC5nedAABVVAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAIeV5us=<<<

suprnova74
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by suprnova74 »

ajranney wrote: My seed:

>>>AAAMAAQAAwADAAYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwMCCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwMCBQAAAHN0b25lAwMCOMNC5nedAABVVAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAIeV5us=<<<
Ugh... I had a the weirdest dream and.. Good lord! what a hang-over. <blinks blearily around> How the heck did I get here? The last thing I remember I was doing shots at the local dive with the speaker from that one-day seminar on "An idiot's guide to planet colonization preparation". That last shot tasted a bit funny and then... Hmm, i could have sworn he said "Yes, this one will do nicely" right before i blacked out.

Oh man, what did I get myself into? That seminar was nearly useless. Those cocktails they served beforehand got me half-buzzed as it was and then I was distracted by that gorgeous brunette with the revealing neckline to boot who kept giving me that sultry look...

<hears a twig snap>

Oh crap. That's right, those damned biters are here somewhere. <smacks his face several times hard> Ok. Game on. Let's see what I've gotten myself into. <looks around with a bit more focus>

Holy Trees Batman! I hope they gave me everything they said they would. Where is that supply capsule they said would be provided. Ugh, there's PART of it. Must have been a nasty landing. Aaand, yes! Here's the tech repository that... fell in that conveniently placed puddle. Maybe it's water proof. Here 'goes nothing. < clicks power button > < loud sizzle, pop and a puff of smoke >

<loud cursing ensues followed by several minutes of beratement/cursing at oneself for getting himself into this jam >

Oook, that wasn't a good sign. <shakes water out, fiddles with tech repository> Power on! Please tell me the hmemory banks survived. Oh lovely, i feel like i'm back at space explorer scouts. Basic tech is of course the only thing?! There has to be more around here. Rusty pistol. Lovely. What, no ammo?! Ah, a few clips of low power ammo over there. Awesome. Aside from the bazillion trees, the landing spot doesn't look too bad. Wish I had an axe, i'll have to punch a few trees to death. Aha, the other half of the supply capsule! Let's see, a burner miner and basic furnace still intact. Here's what's left of a gun turret that conveniently ran into that rock outcropping. Well, got a few pieces of iron plate from it to use for something at least. and... a data pad.
<inserts data pad into tech repo>

ajranney wrote:This is ajranney to whichever engineer will be tackling this planet. Based on the long range scanners, resources look good and with the tech repo i've included you should be good to go. To aid in your start, I've provided you with <static garbled> ..nd i must warn tha... biters .... turret .... <end transmission
That wasn't ominous or anything. Ok, let's see if I can survive the day.

side-note: You will be seeing some horrendously laid out builds as my planning is pretty haphazard yet.

Edited to add the seed to the beginning.
Attachments
zoomed out landing site.
zoomed out landing site.
landing site.png (2.67 MiB) Viewed 12564 times
Last edited by suprnova74 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”