Remnents Exploration / Survival Map (Difficult)

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
xxxtrigger50xxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Remnents Exploration / Survival Map (Difficult)

Post by xxxtrigger50xxx »

This is my first public release to the Factorio Forums! So please feel free to leave your comments of what you think!

Remnents is a world you will explore and of course build on. This scenario's main goal is to kill you. Several times. So please keep that in mind when downloading! This is the first release, you ultimate goal is to get off the planet. The first ending to version 0.1, is by fixing a car! You'll have to go through an over ran and abandoned base before doing so, it may sound easier then it really is. Enjoy!

Installation Help
You need to put the download file into the scenario folder located inside your Factorio install directory. If you don't have one simply make a folder called "scenarios" inside the main directory. Otherwise you can use the built in scenarios folder found in "\data\base\scenarios", it will appear as a game scenario rather then a user scenario. Which has no affect on game play.

V0.15
+ Car when unrepaired is now indestructible, when repaired it is damageable.
+ Made other important objects in map indestructible to prevent errors. (Later on they will be damageable after they have served their use in the story line)
+ Changed default download file to ZIP instead of rar.
+ Tweaked map layout to counteract bug for ai path finding which would kill them if they couldn't path find to you. (Factorio bug not mine)
+ Code reformatted, should be much easier to read!
V0.1
+ One Main Area added
+ One Side Area added
+ Beat the game by repairing the car, (not with repair tool)

Rage Quit Guide (How to beat the map so far! SPOILERS)
1. When you spawn, instantly run northeast past the south gate to the nearby perimeter. You will take almost enough damage to kill you. If you die, you were to slow.
2. Target the power pole next to the accumulators to stop the Laser turrets from killing you.
3. Loot the chest near the Laser turrets.
4. Destroy the first Tier 3 Electric Tower. (If you don't, the next base will also have powered laser turrets, most people will overlook this and die.)
5. Destroy the worm at the east facility entrance with grenades, then enter the facility from the east entrance.
6. Get to the first room to the right, you need to move quickly or else you will die. Once inside loot the chest. (Suggest using CTRL+Click)
7. Go up to the pond area, use your remaining grenades to kill the two worms in the next room.
8. Kill the biter spawners to the west of the room you killed the worms in.
9. Walk to the car covered in trees (South of the nests)
10. Kill the worm to the west, enter via the small hole. (Be wary of big worm, it will kill you.) There is a green chest here, walk to it.
11. Walk to the green chest in nest area.
12. Walk to the green chest in the double worm area (North of pond)
13. Walk to the green chest in the first room you entered to this facility (You got tons of grenades and ammo here)
14. Walk back to the car.
15. You win!
Also, there is a ton of extra worms and enemies that you DO NOT need to kill here, if you waste you ammo you will more then likely lose.
Attachments
Remnents.zip
(935.08 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Last edited by xxxtrigger50xxx on Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 am, edited 10 times in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Remnents Exploration / Survival Map (Difficult)

Post by steinio »

Sweet.

Did you create the graphics for damaged rails and so on?

Could you please convert the file to zip. This format can be handled by almost all types of operating systems without extra tools.

I wanted to start but get an error at line 85 in control.lua. Seems there is missing anything (, at the end of line?).

Code: Select all

if global.storyProgress == 4 then
	if global.carParts == 4 then
	storyUpdate(global.storyProgress)
	game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar").force = game.forces['player']
	carX = game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar").position.x
	carY = game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar").position.y
	game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar").destroy()
	game.get_surface(1).create_entity{name = "car", position = {carX, carY}, force=game.player.force,

game.player.insert{name = "coal", count = 50}
	end
For better reading of code i suggest you use tabs for blocks:

game.get_surface(1).create_entity{name = "car", position = {carX, carY}, force=game.player.force,

end
	end

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Yeah, commendable intents, but did you do any testing at all?

1. zip is better than rar. Game can read zips directly.
2. I suggest you wrap scenarion inside a mod (put in a /scenario folder inside the mod folder). This way the installation is familiar to everyone and you get full set of modding possibilities for you map (creating custom entities, depending on other mods, using migration scripts and so on).
3. As said by steinio, there's curly brace } missing at 85.
4. It is impassable. Laser turrets and big worms at the beginning kill you before you even get in range for return fire. No, there's not enough fish.
5. I like the rivers you've drawn.
6. I'm not sure it'd be possible for player to move around the base without invincibility.
7. There's error on line 71. It seems that (game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar")) is nil there.
8. You probably should have a look at the vanilla campaign and its utility library. It seems it'd be useful when your story gets more complicated. Although it itself seems to have gotten more complex than the last time I've seen that.

Good luck.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

xxxtrigger50xxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adil wrote:Yeah, commendable intents, but did you do any testing at all?

1. zip is better than rar. Game can read zips directly.
2. I suggest you wrap scenarion inside a mod (put in a /scenario folder inside the mod folder). This way the installation is familiar to everyone and you get full set of modding possibilities for you map (creating custom entities, depending on other mods, using migration scripts and so on).
3. As said by steinio, there's curly brace } missing at 85.
4. It is impassable. Laser turrets and big worms at the beginning kill you before you even get in range for return fire. No, there's not enough fish.
5. I like the rivers you've drawn.
6. I'm not sure it'd be possible for player to move around the base without invincibility.
7. There's error on line 71. It seems that (game.get_entity_by_tag("damagedCar")) is nil there.
8. You probably should have a look at the vanilla campaign and its utility library. It seems it'd be useful when your story gets more complicated. Although it itself seems to have gotten more complex than the last time I've seen that.

Good luck.
I did do testing actually hundreds of times literally for testing as I was developing. I was able and an able to beat it. You have to understand this map is meant to kill you. You have to learn how to win lol. I can post a video of me running through it for the people who can't beat it lol.

Make sure to be using the most up to date version, the car may have been destroyed as I never tested that last thing I added in as I made this on one sitting last night lol I will change it to a jar didn't know this made a difference. As for a mob dragging the rar and extracting it into the scenarios folder is very simple.

And again you can beat it lol. It is POSSIBLE to move around. I'll patch the version posted so you don't get errors!

xxxtrigger50xxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

steinio wrote:Sweet.

Did you create the graphics for damaged rails and so on?

Could you please convert the file to zip. This format can be handled by almost all types of operating systems without extra tools.

I wanted to start but get an error at line 85 in control.lua. Seems there is missing anything (, at the end of line?).

end
For better reading of code i suggest you use tabs for blocks:

end
	end
I did not make the graphics! Also I made the code last night when I was pretty tired it's really messy indeed and I totally agree to your block method you mentioned. At one point I was so tired I just wanted to make it work to go to bed lol! At work now will fix once I get home! It worked fine for me though :/

And yes I will have a zip file for it tommorrow I'm so sorry for not thinking about other os's!!

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Your're welcome :)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

xxxtrigger50xxx wrote: Make sure to be using the most up to date version, the car may have been destroyed as I never tested that last thing I added in as I made this on one sitting last night lol I will change it to a jar didn't know this made a difference.
There's only one version in the op. With 2 downloads, one of which is me. Car was not destroyed. Error appeared when I've approached it. My guess would be that it was not tagged, or some "repairing" code was wrong.
xxxtrigger50xxx wrote: As for a mob dragging the rar and extracting it into the scenarios folder is very simple.
Well, there's no scenarios folder until you make one.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...

xxxtrigger50xxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adil wrote:
xxxtrigger50xxx wrote: Make sure to be using the most up to date version, the car may have been destroyed as I never tested that last thing I added in as I made this on one sitting last night lol I will change it to a jar didn't know this made a difference.
There's only one version in the op. With 2 downloads, one of which is me. Car was not destroyed. Error appeared when I've approached it. My guess would be that it was not tagged, or some "repairing" code was wrong.
xxxtrigger50xxx wrote: As for a mob dragging the rar and extracting it into the scenarios folder is very simple.
Well, there's no scenarios folder until you make one.
Definitely my fault then, I will fix it once I get home I know exactly what's wrong just at work right now lol. Thanks for the bug catch. And I had no idea there wouldby be a scenarios folder! Thank you very much! And there is a lot of perks to making it a mod, I just wanted to keep it strictly as a scenario. However there is a scenarios folder by default in the base inside another folder can't remember off the top of my head as it stores all the default scenarios, great for reference!

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Yes, that folder, __factorio__/data/base/scenarios is actually the insides of /base mod. Unzipping stuff there sure works, but is akin to installing mods by distributing the files to relevant folder in there.
There can be also __factorio__/scenarios folder, however it's not created by default, there game stores whatever you save in map editor.
And just as base, mods can have their own /scenario folders.

xxxtrigger50xxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adil wrote:Yes, that folder, __factorio__/data/base/scenarios is actually the insides of /base mod. Unzipping stuff there sure works, but is akin to installing mods by distributing the files to relevant folder in there.
There can be also __factorio__/scenarios folder, however it's not created by default, there game stores whatever you save in map editor.
And just as base, mods can have their own /scenario folders.
Ah thank you for the insight! I will definitely be doing this when the project get's a little larger! :)

@All
Updated the map to V0.15!

samrrr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by samrrr »

This scenario not work now....
Errors while run.

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”