Edit a existing Map on Steam version?

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
lukas0275
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Edit a existing Map on Steam version?

Post by lukas0275 »

Does somebody now how to edit a used map with Steam version of Factorio?

I already tried this:

"C:\Program Files\Factorio\bin\x64\Factorio.exe --map2scenario SAVENAMEHERE"

But it was showing me in the editor a new map ;(

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Edit a existing Map on Steam version?

Post by Targa »

Kind of surprised you haven't gotten an answer for this by now. There are two simple ways to edit a used map (game save) with any version of Factorio (Steam included).

The first way: Explore to your Steam installation directory. You want Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64. In Windows Explorer, hold the shift key and right-click on the x64 folder and select "open command window here" from the context menu. Type in the command window: Factorio --map2scenario <saved game name without the .zip extension>. So you'd type (ex) Factorio --map2scenario mygame

The command window will show Factorio loading, then a message about creating the scenario map. When it says "goodbye", type 'exit' or close the window.

The second way, if you're not comfortable with command-line arguments, or can't get one to open: Create a new text document. Type into the document: Factorio.exe --map2scenario <save name> Save and close the document. Rename it from "New Document.txt" to "New Document.bat". Place it in the Factorio\bin\x64 folder and double-click it. Note that if you use this method, the command window will close by itself when Factorio is finished creating the scenario map.

Lv99_Magikarp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lv99_Magikarp »

Targa wrote:Kind of surprised you haven't gotten an answer for this by now. There are two simple ways to edit a used map (game save) with any version of Factorio (Steam included).

The first way: Explore to your Steam installation directory. You want Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64. In Windows Explorer, hold the shift key and right-click on the x64 folder and select "open command window here" from the context menu. Type in the command window: Factorio --map2scenario <saved game name without the .zip extension>. So you'd type (ex) Factorio --map2scenario mygame

The command window will show Factorio loading, then a message about creating the scenario map. When it says "goodbye", type 'exit' or close the window.
Hey targa,thank you so much for the help as ive been searching a way to edit maps as well. However,i tried the first method to edit the map.But after i saved it and closed it, when i load the map its still the same as how it has been before the editing. Was just wondering how do i play the map i edited.

Babysnake1786
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Babysnake1786 »

You have to save the senario map, then load that to get the edited map

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”