Game keeps crashing

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Sun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game keeps crashing

Post by Sun »

Hello!

Got the problem that Factorio keeps crashing... I updated BIOS, Chipset drivers, etc, even replaced thermal paste and thermal pads on the chipset, but it didn't help... I attached the log file and the autosave data...

Steps to reproduce - go to south and a little bit east, kill all enemies, then go north and then go left on the southern side of solar panels to the another group of monsters... near those solar panels game crashed several time around the same spot...

I played other games like Astroneer Lunar, Stationeers, Space Engineers, Satisfactory and I didn't have such problems there, i.e. I could play the whole day and none of these games were crashed...

I also measured the GPU and CPU temperature during the game crash, GPU was about 40 Celsius degrees, CPU about 66 C...

Do You have any idea what could be the problem and how to solve it?
If You have any questions or need more information, please ask.
Thank You very much in advance
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(705.05 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
_autosave3.zip
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
factorio-current.log
(8.01 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Game keeps crashing

Post by Rseding91 »

Hello. Thanks for the report however the crashing location and the semi-random nature of how you reproduce it combined with t he CPU type you have leads me to believe you simply have a defective CPU and or motherboard. In literally every other case someone has crashed at this place in the game logic it has always been defective hardware.

My first advice would be to disable any CPU or RAM overclocking you might have enabled. If that doesn't work then RMA your CPU and or motherboard but if that isn't an option: If you just purchased the game I would recommend you refund it; since there's nothing we can do about this.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Sun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sun »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 pm
My first advice would be to disable any CPU or RAM overclocking you might have enabled
No, I didn't... I just performed the maintenance, then my MB said that I installed new CPU, go to BIOS to setup... I just came inside, immediately saved all the settings and quit...
Rseding91 wrote:
If that doesn't work then RMA your CPU and or motherboard
What is it? Could You explain a little bit, please?
Rseding91 wrote:
If you just purchased the game I would recommend you refund it; since there's nothing we can do about this.
Yes, I purchased just a few days ago... but sometimes I can play several hours without any problem, so I like the game :) Do You know any diagnostic tools (either Windows or Linux, or make even LiveCD or LiveUSB? I would like to make such a test for the computer before "throw it to the carbage" :)
But also, to be honest, sometimes I also catching BSOD on my computer, like 3-5 times per week, I reinstalled Win10, some time it was ok, but then again started to keep catching it... So maybe You're right, the problem is with the hardware... but what exactly? How to find out? If it is a motherboard, I can buy new one, but if CPU - it's much more expensive... I bought this computer like 1.5 years ago, was the new one... But the videocard is bit older...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

CPUs and Motherboards typically are under warranty for 2+ years. So there's a good chance you could contact the manufacturer and get them replaced/fixed for free.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Sun wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:58 pm
sometimes I also catching BSOD on my computer, like 3-5 times per week
That is a clear indication of a hardware or OS/driver issue. Download http://memtest.org/ and run it over night or until you see errors, if you do, you know it is a hardware issue and you can rma it.

Sun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sun »

Loewchen wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 pm
That is a clear indication of a hardware or OS/driver issue. Download http://memtest.org/ and run it over night or until you see errors, if you do, you know it is a hardware issue and you can rma it.
Ok, thank You very much, I'll try

Sun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sun »

Sun wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:24 pm
Ok, thank You very much, I'll try
I tried, it seems that there were no problems...
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-14 at 14.43.16.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-14 at 14.43.16.jpeg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Ok, I will run it again next night again, but just curious...
Rseding91 wrote:
... however the crashing location and the semi-random nature of how you reproduce it combined with the CPU type you have leads me to believe you simply have a defective CPU and or motherboard.
"combined with the CPU type you have" - what do You mean, does many users of AMD Ryzen CPUs have the same problem with the Factorio? Or that this serie of the CPUs has very huge percentage of defective CPUs?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Sun wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 am
"combined with the CPU type you have" - what do You mean, does many users of AMD Ryzen CPUs have the same problem with the Factorio? Or that this serie of the CPUs has very huge percentage of defective CPUs?
Yes:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-231
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _87_times/
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-239

Yet the "fix" AMD released a while ago doesn't fix it for everyone. For some the hardware is just defective and crashes. The same issues can be found in other games:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comme ... ed_crutch/
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overw ... rash/46565

Sun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sun »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:19 pm
Yet the "fix" AMD released a while ago doesn't fix it for everyone.
Ehm... did they release the firmware for the CPU which re-arrange the transistors in the crystal or modern processors have embedded firmware? :)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Sun wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 am
Ryzen had issues in the first generation but these aren't a problem anymore, I think you might have a bad power supply.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”