[0.4.1 mac] no graphics

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.4.1 mac] no graphics

Post by ssilk »

Because my Macbook is for work only I came not earlier to test F. on it. Just as the subjects says: Completly unplayable for me there... the game worked until I generate a map, then the screen gets broken. When I run around then, I see, that something changes, the startscreen is sometimes blended in, broken graphics - looks for me a the memory is corrupted.

Modellname: MacBook Pro
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro8,2
Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4 (cores)
L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
L3-Cache: 6 MB
Speicher: 16 GB
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.4.1 mac] no graphics

Post by Candunc »

ssilk wrote:Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8, 2
Processor Type: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed​​: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4 (cores)
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
I've seen this happen on integrated graphics where the textures would corrupt and break. Use a program like GFXcard status to see if it is switching over to your 'discrete' GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6490M I believe?)

That's all the help I can give, although when your graphics corrupt, it should fix itself with a restart.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

What version of the OSX are you running ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Systemversion: OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 12.3.0

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Here is how it looks.
Things I found out:
- There is no difference, which graphic card is used
- Only the map isn't shown, the rest (text etc.) looks ok, even preferences etc. works without problems
- No difference between fullscreen or in window

Idea: Is it maybe a problem with the file-rights, that the graphics/pics aren't on the right place?

~/Library/Application Support/factorio
ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 4 alexaulbach staff 136 2 Jun 20:55 config
drwxr-xr-x 3 alexaulbach staff 102 2 Jun 20:52 mods
-rw-r--r-- 1 alexaulbach staff 143 3 Jun 19:23 player-data.json

Notice: When in fullscreen (on Mac it's normally an own option), I cannot switch to other tasks - the key-combination CMD-TAB doesn't work anymore...
Attachments
Nice view..
Nice view..
Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-03 um 19.17.34.png (132.47 KiB) Viewed 11599 times

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Looks like one of the 1s and 0s magic problems.
ssilk wrote: - Only the map isn't shown, the rest (text etc.) looks ok, even preferences etc. works without problems
The graphics in the map are taken from the atlas that resides in the video memory on the graphical card. The menu in 0.4.x is drawn using drawing primitives (lines, rectangles, etc.). Therefore it is perfectly possible that one works while the other doesn't.
ssilk wrote: Idea: Is it maybe a problem with the file-rights, that the graphics/pics aren't on the right place?
The bitmap atlas is stored in the video memory so file-rights should not be an issue.

I am developing on 10.6.8 however we test now and then on some Lions as well and haven't seen this problem before.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Just tested it with 0.5: Same problem, now the map looks grey, cause the start-screen has a grey pic. The map isn't drawn and the grapic-memory fragments.

BTW: The requesters for login, start etc. look now wired, cause you don't see the cursor (grey on grey) and don't see, if you pressed the buttons.

Do you need screenshots or something else I should try?

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

ssilk wrote:Hm. Just tested it with 0.5: Same problem, now the map looks grey, cause the start-screen has a grey pic. The map isn't drawn and the grapic-memory fragments.

BTW: The requesters for login, start etc. look now wired, cause you don't see the cursor (grey on grey) and don't see, if you pressed the buttons.

Do you need screenshots or something else I should try?
You could try running memtest to ensure your memory cards work flawlessly.
I had some graphics problems with my old PC long time ago. It started as small artifacts/corrupted graphics with games that required alot of memory and got worser until the comp could not pass the memory test in POST. One of the memory modules were broken and also usage of dual channel gave some errors (mobo partly broken). Overclocked too much? :lol:
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Made mem-tests, all tests passed many times. No overclocking. Of course, because this is my work-mac, it must run, otherwise I would have very big problems. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

...also with 0.5.1.
What might be interesting: When starting the first champaign and the screen dimms up I see the "broken map" moving similar to my direction-keys pressed (the hero runs around). Until the light is full blended in, then the moving stops and I can't bring him to move again.
I think this brings us back to the graphic card... I have a possible candidate: VM-ware-fusion, but I really need that for my work... perhaps someone else might try out VM-ware-player (which should do the same things) together with factorio?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Happy news, I tried it this evening again on the mac. Now it worked!
What had I done?
Simple. Managed to turn off VMWare completely. This wasn't that easy, and it takes me a while; because the mac is normally on an double-screen and I didn't normaly use it in single-screen-mode; only in train or at home, but for that I didn't have time. So even when I quited vmware, there was some rest, which locks the second screen for some reason and seems to force the graphics-card-mode to "discrete" and I couldn't even kill it with root-rights.
Only afther I switched to one screen, VMWare vanishes completly and it was possible for me to switch to integrated graphics. Once I switched to integrated, the game works without problem, no matter, if switching back to discrete or not.

So this means, that it might be a bug in factorio, that it only thinks, it works with the integrated GC, but indeed it works on the discrete (the allocation of the GC-mode fails, but is not correctly returned?). I might also be some very strange bug with VMWare (Fusion) because I think, they're doing something nasty here. Or it might be the combination of both.

But I hope it's now clear, what it is (do you need more informations, more tests?) and I'm happy, that I can play with the mac. :)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Sounds like a super-weird low-level stuff in the (assuming proprietary) video card switcher.
As if vmware was able to corrupt it's state.

Congratulations on being able to play.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”