[0.17.66] All texts are misplaced after a few seconds/minutes of gameplay

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
haedri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.66] All texts are misplaced after a few seconds/minutes of gameplay

Post by haedri »

Hi,

This bug started appearing today on 0.17.66 all the ingame texts become misplaced on screen after a few minutes/seconds of gameplay, resizing the window will fix it until next time (usually a few seconds later)
It happens whether player is moving or not, it also happens while map is opened, but seems to happen more easily if moving around.

I played with 0.16 up to launching the rocket with no issues.

This is my first game with version 0.17.x so it might be because my base has reached a limit (it is quite small still), I had no problem with 0.16

It just started today for some reasons (Aug 29), it didn't happen yesterday, but I don't think there has been an update on steam ?
Rebooting didn't fix the problem

While writing this bug report it also happened randomly just after starting the game (still in the menus) or when playing on a new save... So it's very strange, but it's random and couldn't (yet) capture it in a movie.
Also while getting the log the game crashed when restoring game window (while the text where misplaced) so you have a crash report in the log too, might be related.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(10.69 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
capture_2019-08-29_13-06-47_0459_Factorio_0_17_66_.png
capture_2019-08-29_13-06-47_0459_Factorio_0_17_66_.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1696 times
screencast_00000.mp4
(8.32 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
ok-a-2.zip
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.66] All texts are misplaced after a few seconds/minutes of gameplay

Post by posila »

Thanks for taking time to write up the bug report.

Something is wrong with your computer. I mean, apart from obvious - you paired Ryzen 2700X with the lowest of low-end graphics cards :).
Given that all texts are offset the same way, I assume projection matrix stored in uniform buffer gets corrupted; the uniform buffer used for font rendering is not updated unless viewport changes (ie. window resizes). The crash seems to originate outside of Factorio (maybe graphics driver?), it might be buggy graphics driver, problem with GPU itself or somewhere else.

For 0.17.67 I made font rendering to use the same uniform buffer as is used for sprite rendering, so that should fix text being offset (if I am correct that it caused by uniform buffer getting corrupted), but I would not expect it to fix the crashes. Try to see if there is an graphics driver update or if you could try to plug in some different GPU.

haedri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by haedri »

Lol, yea this is a work computer, I'm playing on my lunch time.
Since there's no integrated card on ryzen we had to buy the cheapest card in order to work (I just need cpu power for work).
As a side note factorio seems to handle low-end card way better with 0.17 than 0.16, in 0.16 I had to play in a relatively small window (around 720p) to avoid lags but it seems fine in 1080p with 0.17

The crash was quite random, first time I ever had one, I wouldn't put too much effort into it, it's just strange that it happened while the problem with text also happened.

I will wait for 0.17.67 then, thanks :)

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

haedri wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:56 pm
Lol, yea this is a work computer, I'm playing on my lunch time.
Since there's no integrated card on ryzen we had to buy the cheapest card in order to work (I just need cpu power for work).
As a side note factorio seems to handle low-end card way better with 0.17 than 0.16, in 0.16 I had to play in a relatively small window (around 720p) to avoid lags but it seems fine in 1080p with 0.17

The crash was quite random, first time I ever had one, I wouldn't put too much effort into it, it's just strange that it happened while the problem with text also happened.

I will wait for 0.17.67 then, thanks :)
On Linux I would recommend some AMD card, specifically RX550, 2GB or 4GB version. It has about 50W TDP. I think you should be able to find it for 80-100$ new. ~60$ used if you search well. You could get some cheaper options (like R7 200 or R7 300 series, but you need to be VERY careful, as some are pretty old, and some are very poor choices, even with just one digit in the model number different, maybe if you could find some used for really cheap like 30$, they might be useful, like R7 250 GDDR5 variant - it is 6 years old, and about half of the performance of the RX550 tho). I can't really recommend any other product below 100$ and with lowish TDP.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”