Severe FPS/UPS drops, and a cresh [0.17.52]

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
modrusis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Severe FPS/UPS drops, and a cresh [0.17.52]

Post by modrusis »

Problem:
I have had Factorio for quite some time now and have been running on the same machine since day 1. I upgraded to the new version and then didn't play for a while. When I loaded up the game and continued my save file I experienced massive slow down. I have never had any issue with speeds as I have a pretty good pc. I have over 90 hours on this one map alone. After a few minutes of attempting to run around the game crashed. It said something about not being able to write to a file. Sorry but I was switching windows to check task manager to see if a background update was sucking up my CPU. I have since played again, have not been able to reproduce the crash, but am still suffering major FPS/UPS drops. I have seen the UPS be at 60 and the FPS drop to below 30 (picture 2, Picture 3 is about 1 second later), and then they will both drop to 30's or lower (picture 4). I have noticed when trains come by the lag spikes happen more frequently. I have started a new map and just running around in the starting area my FPS/UPS is going up and down the same way... I have never had to post before so I hope I have gotten everything you need.. Please help. :D

System:
Windows 7
56 GB Ram
Intel Core i7-5930K CPU @3.50GHz
nVidia GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB GDDR5X
Attachments
Middle Earth.zip
(19.65 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
factorio-current.log
(131.3 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 4.jpg (924.36 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 3.jpg (738.17 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 2.jpg (775.05 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 1.jpg (822.46 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

modrusis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Severe FPS/UPS drops, and a cresh [0.17.52]

Post by modrusis »

Oh, and no mods installed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Try turning off vsync.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

modrusis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by modrusis »

I followed your instructions and it stayed at 60/60. I then turned vsync back on and it it working the same 60/60 as normal. Any ideas why that glitched?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

No idea. I suspect some problem with GPU's power states. After transition to DirectX 11, and optimizing rendering, high-end GPUs on some PCs seem to insinst on running in very low power mode and not being able to render the game in 60 FPS. We have not been able to reproduce this though.

Do you use any gaming overlays besides Steam one?

modrusis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by modrusis »

Well for gaming I have Uplay, origin, battle.net, and of course discord. I have EVGA Pricision X (this program has caused issues with other games).

modrusis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by modrusis »

If this happens again is there anything I can do while the issue is going on that will help you guys?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunatelly, at the moment I can think of anything that would be reasonably simple to capture and that could somewhat shed a light on what is going on. If I think of something, I'll reach out to you, thank you.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”