Language setting resets after updates (0.17.x)

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Mikkelen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Language setting resets after updates (0.17.x)

Post by Mikkelen »

Every time my game updates, the language setting resets to Default, meaning that for me it resets to my native language (which is only partially supported yet - Danish), likely because I have windows set to use it. I generally prefer using English for games/software to keep things consistent.

When I go into the Factorio settings, under interface, and put it to English again (+ restart) it works fine, but then it goes back to Default again (still danish for me) after new updates. I'm thinking the issue may have something to do with how the game stores/searches for settings? I have Factorio on a bigger, secondary hard drive (for games), seperated from where Windows 10 is located (the secondary hard drive does have an older version of Win7 however).
I don't know if that changes anything, but I just thought I would add it to this post.

I have not tested if this is a recurring thing every time a different update is applied (I'm using Steam, also in English), but it seems to happen every time the game auto-updates in experimental/beta 0.17.x.
Attachments
Image of the setting I'm talking about
Image of the setting I'm talking about
factorio languge reset.png (241.05 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Language setting resets after updates (0.17.x)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I can't reproduce what you describe. The Steam update process doesn't even touch the config file which stores the language and we have no migration logic around the language selection.

It almost sounds like your %Appdata%\Factorio\config\config.ini is getting deleted and re-created randomly.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kbk »

I've been experiencing similar behavior with CDPR's Witcher and Steam a couple of months ago. I have Steam set to english locale, thus the locales for the game were also set to english. I was then forced to change voice and caption locales ingame to russian/polish every launch, and these two settings were reset back to english at every launch. Finally that was solved by going to Witcher's properties in Steam and changing its locale to whichever I wanted atm. Maybe that is also worth checking in this case.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It sounds like possible problem with Steam Cloud to me, try to disable Steam Cloud in Factorio properties in Steam. Log file from the run in which the reset happens might show some errors.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”