[0.17.52] CPU pegged and high lag even on menu screen

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.52] CPU pegged and high lag even on menu screen

Post by linearj »

Hello.

I am sorry to report that this behavior is back.
To recap:
I was running Debian 8 with the nvidia driver installed before. Running factorio would report 0Hz refresh rate, and xrandr did not work. I disabled Xinerama (which required that I go down from 4 to 3 monitors). After this, the refresh rate showed correctly, xrandr worked, and factorio worked. You concluded at the time that this must be a bug in the nvidia driver.

Scroll forward a couple of years.
I have reinstalled my system with Debian 11. However, the drivers worked out of the box; I did not install nvidia drivers. Xrandr is working, and running factorio reports the refresh rate correctly (below). But, it is pegging the cpu even in the menu. In fact, it is pegging nine CPUs!

0.045 Display options: [FullScreen: 0] [VSync: 1] [UIScale: automatic (100.0%)] [Native DPI: 1] [Screen: 255] [Special: lmw] [Lang: en]
0.200 Available displays: 3
0.200 [0]: DP 27" - {[0,0], 2560x1440, SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888, 60Hz}
0.200 [1]: DP 27" - {[5120,0], 2560x1440, SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888, 60Hz}
0.200 [2]: DP 27" - {[2560,0], 2560x1440, SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888, 60Hz}
- LinearJ

linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linearj »

P.S. Version 1.1.42
- LinearJ

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hello, we are not able to provide support for Factorio on your setup. If you write to support@factorio.com, hopefuly the company will be able to offer you a refund.

linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linearj »

I have been running factorio for several years; I don't want a refund.
You guys were able to help me before; I was adding to the existing discussion on this. What changed?
- LinearJ

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

linearj wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:21 am
I have been running factorio for several years; I don't want a refund.
You guys were able to help me before; I was adding to the existing discussion on this. What changed?
It's not worth our time to put further time and resources into such an esoteric setup when the issue doesn't seem to rely anywhere within our code and could easily be fixed by using other known-working operating systems.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

linearj
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linearj »

WHo are you and what have you done with the real Factorio devs???

This isn't an esoteric setup. This is just Linux running X windows.
- LinearJ

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

The original problem was already investigated by a developer and the report was closed as "1 / 0 magic", which is something like "we believe this is not caused by a bug in our code."
You said the behavior is back, so we are not gonna look into it again, because we already did the first time around and were not able to find anything to fix on our side.

Anyhow ...
linearj wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 am
I have reinstalled my system with Debian 11. However, the drivers worked out of the box; I did not install nvidia drivers. Xrandr is working, and running factorio reports the refresh rate correctly (below). But, it is pegging the cpu even in the menu. In fact, it is pegging nine CPUs!
I believe OpenGL is running in software mode for whatever reason, and it is probably different issue than the originally reported one... I suggest you create new thread in Technical Help and post full log there.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”