[0.17.12] Locked up the computer upon starting

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.12] Locked up the computer upon starting

Post by Jon8RFC »

And upon reboot and starting again, received the attached error window.

Shoot, sorry. I didn't think to not start factorio again, so the log doesn't contain when it locked up.

EDIT:
Reinstalled 0.17.11, auto-updated to 0.17.12 again and it's ok.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
factorio-previous.log
(532 Bytes) Downloaded 76 times
factorio-current.log
(515 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.12] Locked up the computer upon starting

Post by Jon8RFC »

I'm going to call this not a bug, but a VAC issue with running gpu-z.

The issue, most likely, was coincidental timing of Steam and/or gpu-z locking up the computer.

Here's the long story, which might be useful to keep in mind for bug reports regarding lock ups and users of steam, regardless of whether or not they play Factorio through steam...

The coincidence is that I run Factorio as standalone. Occasionally, I'll run steam to make sure it updates other games even if I'm not going to play them. I've been using gpu-z off and on for a few years, but quite a bit since I've gotten my new computer, to try and fine-tune graphics settings which don't fully tax my gpu on games such as PUBG. The time this bug report lock up happened, I vaguely remember doing my ritual of firing up steam and factorio to get updates, and from PUBG stats assistant, I see that I played a game shortly after this bug report time stamp, so I very likely preemptively ran gpu-z and that caused the lock-up...but I had always associated it with CSGO and VAC rather than steam itself and VAC.

If future bug reports have seemingly random lock ups, it would be a good idea to not run the game through steam or while steam is even running at all, to narrow down if a third-party app they run is conflicting with steam's VAC. From what I can tell from observation (and they likely will change up how anti-cheat works), Steam needs to run a round of checks upon successful login, at minimum, and who knows how regularly those happen--I'm not in the mood for finding out, but just resolving the gpu-z conflict. It at least has time-based triggers, and those are reset at every steam login from what I can tell. Maybe they then run every 6 hours per login session, or who knows. They do also run upon loading a VAC-enabled game, and also upon the actual start of a competitive match within CSGO. I assume this, because I can cause the lock ups, reliably, with gpu-z running at particular times. No problems running Factorio through steam with gpu-z running, provided that I let what I assume is the initial steam login VAC scan happen before I run gpu-z.

I tested another Factorio bug report of a lock up regarding Windows locking, to see if Steam triggers a VAC event upon unlocking, and a quick test showed that it didn't, because my computer didn't lock up while running gpu-z.

Here's where I was discussing it regarding gpu-z.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-4012939

This is an interesting situation, to me anyway. Just wanted to share this so that the Factorio team, and maybe others, are aware of this. If you let the VAC scans (I'm quite confident it's VAC-related) happen, then they probably don't happen again for whatever the timed event is set to. Now I know I can at least wait a full minute until running gpu-z after a steam login...until valve sees this post and decides to set their scan interval to be a random range instead.

If specific events happen at specific intervals for steam users (regardless of playing through steam or not), you can probably use gpu-z version 2.17.0 as a surrogate to see if "oh, when we have steam logged in, in the background, run factorio as standalone or through steam, lock windows, put it to sleep, resume, unlock windows, and it locks up each time, it only happens if we also have gpu-z v 2.17.0 running as well...so, it's very likely a third-party utility this person has is causing a VAC conflict, because VAC seems to trigger an event under those circumstances since gpu-z locks up the computer upon VAC events". Good luck!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.12] Locked up the computer upon starting

Post by posila »

Thanks for the write up.
The error message in the first post essentially means Factorio data files got corrupted on your hard drive; if that's something that could be caused by the series of events you described in the seconds post, so be it;
Other than that some people report computer lock ups when Factorio is loading and it is always due to system with low or full RAM swapping to disk heavily.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”