Mouse disapears when "display pointer trails" is on

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
mikestuart30
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mouse disapears when "display pointer trails" is on

Post by mikestuart30 »

Hi

For ease of visibility I turned "display pointer trails" on in my windows 10 machine. When it is on I cannot see my mouse icon in Factorio. If I alt-tab and turn it off, the mouse is visible again when I alt-tab back to Factorio.

Is this a known issue? Is there a resolution?

noob_hoarder
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Mouse disapears when "display pointer trails" is on

Post by noob_hoarder »

For the record, i can't repro on a Win7 sp1 with Factorio 0.16.36.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

I am able to reproduce this on Windows 10 and 0.16.41. Interesting find.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however based off the comments here the issue isn't related to Factorio but some setting on your computer: the exe file is literally identical between the Windows 7 version and the Windows 10 version and it doesn't happen on Windows 7.

Unless someone can show that it's an issue with Factorio code somewhere I'm going to move this to 0/1 magic.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

noob_hoarder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noob_hoarder »

Rseding91 wrote:the issue isn't related to Factorio but some setting on your computer
That's a strange stance to take... The issue is clearly dependent on both Factorio and a computer setting, The fact that Microsoft has changed the way they implement said setting shouldn't IMO mean you give up on trying to make Factorio compatible with systems having that setting active.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It works fine for me on Windows 10 too; both DirectX and OpenGL renderers, fullscreen and in window.

If you post your log file (hit Win + R on keyboard, type %appdata%\Factorio, click OK, File Explorer should open and you should see factorio-current.log) we can at least try to match your HW and Factorio configuration; cursor have special HW support, I have no idea how the trail works though. But my guess is trail in rendered by OS instead. So it might by graphics driver issue ... maybe

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Only happens with OpenGL enabled for Factorio--maybe a custom or defined cursor within Factorio is a good workaround to help out. It doesn't necessarily seem like a Factorio problem, but that doesn't mean the team can't help.

This issue also happens with Quake Live, another OpenGL game (not sure which version).

The mouse works fine in ioQuake3, which uses OpenGL2 (I forced OpenGL1 and it worked as well). The game replaces the default cursor with an in-game cursor, however, but it's the same cursor as the original 2002 Quake3.exe.

EDIT:
Looks like disabling the hardware cursor could be the solution. Is that possible to add/allow in Factorio?
https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p ... windows-7/

NOTE: I've found elsewhere that games with hardware cursor disabled require vsync to be disabled to prevent cursor lag, which feels more like input lag.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Return to “1 / 0 magic”