[0.10.8] V-sync doesn't work / excessive framerate

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.10.8] V-sync doesn't work / excessive framerate

Post by roothorick »

My hardware monitor says that Factorio is running very very high framerates -- 300+ in-game. This is no big deal for my high-end gaming desktop, but will cause battery and heat issues on laptops. And forcing V-sync via the nV driver panel doesn't seem to do anything. I think a video framerate cap is in order; unless your rendering pipeline is interpolating the positions of things between ticks, it's probably best to only push out a frame after each tick.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.8] V-sync doesn't work / excessive framerate

Post by SilverWarior »

Already asked and aswered. Check the next thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... fps#p39782

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

SilverWarior wrote:Already asked and aswered. Check the next thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... fps#p39782
Ok, but it limits the fps to 30, but what if he just wants to have 60? (I personally hate to play on 30).

What graphics card you use? The vsync seems to work fine for most of the people, so it is probably something specific to your hardware or driviers/settings of the card.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

kovarex wrote:...The vsync seems to work fine for most of the people, so it is probably something specific to your hardware or driviers/settings of the card.
I confirm that on my end, I've never had issues with VSync.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

kovarex wrote:Ok, but it limits the fps to 30, but what if he just wants to have 60? (I personally hate to play on 30).

What graphics card you use? The vsync seems to work fine for most of the people, so it is probably something specific to your hardware or driviers/settings of the card.
If I run Factorio without Low Frame Rate (FPS) option enabled then my FPS varies between 60 to 120 FPS. The main reason why I use that option is becouse when it is turned off my graphic card heats ups pretty good. And that is not desirable since I'm on a laptop.

I practically ruined my old laptop by keeping it to run pretty heated up for longer periods. The amount of heat that both graphics card and CPU has been emiting cause the plastic case to swirl a bit so now heatsing doesen't contact CPU suface well enough to properly chanel the heat out. Tried to dissasemble my laptop to remove the heat sink and add more thermal paste under it but I can't unscrew the screws holding the heatsing becouse they literally melted into the plastic. What else to expect if you go and runn your laptop with CPU as hot as 80 degrees ceclsius and GPU 60 degrees celsius playing games for a whole day so that in the end thermal safety switch on motherboard shuts down the whole computer. So now my old laptop only serves as data unti to store periodical data backups I made.

Anywhay since steady 30 FPS that I get with Low Frame Rate (FPS) option does still provide me with smoth gameplay I'm fine with it. That is the reason why I haven't done more research on this.

EDIT: Oh and to see specifications for my "New" laptop which is no longer new for some time checkt the site below:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/ ... ifications
Only changes to that is that I usw Windows 7 64 bit and have aditional hard drive istalled. Yes this is one of the few laptops which come with two HDD slots by default without hte need to remove the optical drive for use as second slot for second HDD.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

At first I was going to say that this didn't happen to me since the in game display never goes above 60-60.1 fps but then I realized I needed a second opinion which is probably a little more difficult on linux. I used mumble to make a fps overlay in the game (worked well but felt like hitting a nail with a large wrench). In a new game zoomed in as close as I could the mumble overlay showed 250-290 fps while the in game fps would read 60-60.1. With low fps mode on the mumble overlay showed 150-190 fps and the in game fps read 30.0. On a save where I was just about to build the rocket defense with the scene zoomed out as far as I could both frame rates were 30-40 fps so I believe mumble is accurate.

The refresh rate my graphics card is using is 85 Hz and sync to VBLANK is enabled in nvidia-settings. I run linux x64 (Kubuntu 14.04) using the 304.117 nvidia drivers for my Geforce 240 GT.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

kovarex wrote:
SilverWarior wrote:Already asked and aswered. Check the next thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... fps#p39782
Ok, but it limits the fps to 30, but what if he just wants to have 60? (I personally hate to play on 30).

GeForce 660Ti and also a GeForce 470. A known quirk of the nV drivers (actually probably a hardware limitation; iirc nouveau has the same problem) is that V-sync cannot be applied to a windowed application; this includes the "borderless window" pseudo-fullscreen hack. That's probably the entire problem.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”