[13.13] [Pending] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
alan2here
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[13.13] [Pending] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Post by alan2here »

On Factorio 0.13.13 single player, the "Built By:" on my structures is blank, no text as to who it is built by.

I have my Factorio username set up in the options and have a Factorio account, it is alan2here.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [13.13] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Post by TruePikachu »

Did you actually log into your account in-game?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [13.13] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

Can you provide some more detailed steps to reproduce the issue,
Did you start the game in 0.12? Are you using any mods?

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [13.13] [Pending] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Post by Sephrat »

I also have the same symptoms. I started the game in 0.13 with no username, I only set it later on but it's had no impact so far. I haven't logged in yet, just set my name in the options menu.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [13.13] [Pending] "Built By:" field is empty despite username included in settings

Post by daniel34 »

In a singleplayer game the player's name is set when first entering a new map, using the name defined as username in the settings. It doesn't change for that save when you change it in settings later. When you load a save from someone else you'll keep their name for that save aswell.
Not sure if that's a bug, I thought this was by design as it's pretty obvious for everyone working with saves from different people, which the devs do.

You can change the name using a console command (this will disable achievements):

Code: Select all

/c game.player.name = "newname"
Replace newname with the name you want to use. This will change the name on the map and the Built By fields on all entities placed. You can also set an empty name ("") to remove the name completely if the name on the minimap annoys you.

It might be a good idea to rethink the usefulness of a Built By field when playing singleplayer. The field could be hidden when playing singleplayer and there's only one player defined in the save, especially when the name is empty anyway.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

alan2here
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by alan2here »

I used the non steam version then the steam one, I don't know at what version I started using it, the non-steam Factorio is no longer installed. Steps to reproduce are just that I mouse over any in-game building built in the world, including inserters and belts.

Maybe this was not set up when I first started playing on the map.

I'm now glad that it doesn't work :) Now I know this has no impact anywhere but this map and it would mean seeing my name redundantly all over the place.

Achievement disabling console commands should have an "are you sure" and a whitelist/blacklist system, so the "name change" sort are not lumped in with the "endless health" sort.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

alan2here wrote:Achievement disabling console commands should have an "are you sure" and a whitelist/blacklist system, so the "name change" sort are not lumped in with the "endless health" sort.
The problem there is that the `/c` command executes Lua directly, and it is nearly impossible to make any sort of distinction without using a whitelist system. Besides, you normally have no use for changing your name in the game.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”