[1.1.53] Crash when dragging blueprint ghost. No mods win64

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.53] Crash when dragging blueprint ghost. No mods win64

Post by Shadsticle »

build 59373 win64

I've had the same crash about 5 times over about 30 hours playing single player with no mods. It seems to happen when
the ghost of a large blueprint such as a train unload design renders or shortly after it when moving it across the terrain. The game will lock for about 5 seconds then crash and display an unknown error message. It seems more likely to happen if the character is moving also but not sure.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.53] Crash when dragging blueprint ghost. No mods win64

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Based off where it's crashing it makes me suspect hardware instability. Are you overclocking your CPU or RAM? If so, can you try disabling that and see if it fixes the issue. You could also try running something like this: https://www.memtest.org/
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Hi, no overclocking on cpu or ram. Those were bought new last year actually fwiw.

Same thing happened again just now, this time it was definitely just as I clicked to place the blueprint.
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
factorio-current.log
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Have you been able to identify any single blueprint and steps to reproduce the crash?

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Unfortunately it seems to happen with any blueprint, This time it was a smelting array, before it was a rail station, and I remember a few times it was just from dragging out a long rail track ghost from an existing piece of track.

Actually dragging the long rail track ghost was the most consistent way to reproduce... I remember it crashed, I loaded the autosave which was just seconds before the crash, did the same thing, and it crashed again. I then reloaded and 'worked around it' by dragging out the ghost for a shorter distance before placing and it worked fine.

Sadly that save file is since overwritten, but if I get a situation like that where I can consistently cause the crash again, I will post it here.

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Happened Again - this time with recent save I think, uploading the logs and now can try reproduce.
Attachments
(930.74 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
factorio-current.log
(13.17 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Post a save with a blueprint and steps that you believe produce the crash the easiest please.

If you cannot upload it to the forum, post public link please.

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Ok, I can definitely reproduce from this point. I had the crash, reloaded, got back to the same point , made a save, and can now consistently crash it after that save.

It seems related to the 'force build' / shift click placement of blueprints. I can wave the ghost around fine. But when I start to hold shift, and the blueprint is intersecting some stuff that needs removing, it will crash after a few moments.

Steps to reproduce:

Load the save game 'NEWfAC.zip' uploaded here.

You should load in with the blueprint already on your cursor. The steps I took to create this blueprint are shown in the 3 Timestamped Screenshots.

Go to map view and scroll down to the south a little, the area is shown in the final screenshot 'factorioCrash.png'.

Place the blueprint so that it intersects some of the belts etc. as shown.

Start holding shift to force build. The crash will occur.
pics
Attachments
NEWfAC.zip
(11.75 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
(944.67 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
factorio-current.log
(11 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I tried those steps and after about 4 minutes of holding shift and moving the mouse around that location I still had no crashes.

Is anyone else able to reproduce the crash? Based off where it's crashing, the 'randomness' of it, and the CPU you have I lean towards the AMD Ryzen CPU bug that keeps coming up. But maybe someone else can reproduce it?

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Damn, wasn't aware of such an issue. I bought the CPU on recommendation at the same time as my RAM and GFX card but now I regret it a bit if this is the case. I had some other games consistently crash after this upgrade too, but none that bothered me that much.

If it's related to the Ryzen, is there any workaround or features I can turn off either hardware or in the game to counteract it?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't know if there's a work-around. This is the most recent information we have around the issue:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-239 and https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/1394359314102427650

It showed up several years ago and their "fix" was an updated chipset driver and BIOS. The fact it still happens years later we have no idea about. If you have crashes in multiple games I would recommend you RMA the CPU and get a replacement as this should not happen.

Shadsticle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadsticle »

Well it was just one game really (Monster Hunter World) that was very consistent but in that case it seemed to be a graphics hardware issue.

But maybe the CPU contributed. Since the last year or 2 I played plenty of games without issues though. Currently I only have notice this issue in factorio, which is a shame because it kept me sane during Covid :)

I will go see if I can update bios or anything that could make a difference, or investigate what I would need to RMa the chip. I really hope it's not the case I need to do that . If you think of any other remedy in the meantime please let me know, and thanks btw for the quick support!

Return to “1 / 0 magic”