[1.1.46] Crash intermittently on start loading graphics

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.46] Crash intermittently on start loading graphics

Post by QGamer »

What did you do?
I launched the latest experimental version (1.1.46) of Factorio from Steam (running on my Windows computer). This is how I normally launch the game.

What happened?
I turned my attention away from the computer for a minute. When I came back, an error message was on the screen. The game had apparently failed to load properly when it was only partway through the loading process.
It was not the type of error message with the nice Factorio GUI frame, it was an error message box created through the operating system.

What did you expect to happen instead?
I expected that when I turned my attention back to the computer, Factorio would be on the main menu screen awaiting my input.

Steps to reproduce...?
I have no clue how to reproduce this bug. This is the first time I have ever seen the game crash before loading the menu.
After seeing the error message, I copied the log file into a separate directory, then relaunched the game in the exact same manner. This time, it loaded properly with no signs of any issues.
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
Maybe this will be useful to you?
(583.34 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
factorio-current.log
The log file generated after the crash
(13.23 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.46] Intermittent Crash on Load (Before Main Menu)

Post by Rseding91 »

Looking at the crash it seems to be crashing trying to initialize the graphics API. I notice you have an APU (CPU and GPU combo) and that it's trying to initialize the Open GL interface instead of DirectX. Did you specifically set it to that? If so, try changing it back. Otherwise it might be an outdated graphics driver.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.46] Intermittent Crash on Load (Before Main Menu)

Post by QGamer »

I haven't changed any graphics settings (either on my computer or in Factorio) in quite a while.
I'll try updating my graphics drivers.
Thanks.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.46] Crash intermittently on start loading graphics

Post by posila »

Rseding might have gotten logs mixed up, it is using Direct3D and you have Intel integrated GPU (which technically still is APU, I suppose). The crash happend in Intel graphics driver, in it's own thread, which is completely outside of our control. Your driver version is pretty recent, but there are updates.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.46] Crash intermittently on start loading graphics

Post by Rseding91 »

posila wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:44 pm
Rseding might have gotten logs mixed up, it is using Direct3D and you have Intel integrated GPU (which technically still is APU, I suppose). The crash happend in Intel graphics driver, in it's own thread, which is completely outside of our control. Your driver version is pretty recent, but there are updates.
Ah whoops :\
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”