[0.17.12] Graphics Issues on Linux Mint

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
action0jackson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.12] Graphics Issues on Linux Mint

Post by action0jackson »

I just updated my sons computer to 0.17.12 and have had all sorts of graphical issues. Previously no issues with 0.16.51.

I have tried loading an existing save as well as starting a new game. Some of the graphical anomalies include:
- Unable to find images (radar for example)
- Garbled text all over
- Floating rectangles
- Flashing screen
- Upside down menus (without text)

I am running on Steam and have tried messing around with all the graphical settings to no avail.

Image (White streaks):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b0i36 ... 4ajIxbtQqX

Videos (sorry captured via phone):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T5hiW ... lVg-0EK7U5

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17ibkG ... u4qHTkl7bw

His OS:
RELEASE=18.3
CODENAME=sylvia
EDITION="Xfce 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia"
DESKTOP=Xfce
TOOLKIT=GTK
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 64-bit

Log File is attached.

Please let me know if you require any additional information.
Thanks,
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Log File
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.12] Graphics Issues on Linux Mint

Post by posila »

Hello, your have quite old GPU, any chance you can update the graphics driver?

action0jackson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by action0jackson »

I was on the latest drivers available for Linux Mint (Using the proprietary Nvidia drivers). I dug up another video card (Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT) that I had laying around that should be a slight upgrade (From Geforce 210). I only had time to put it in before I left for work this morning, I'll report back how it works when I get back.

I just found it odd I had no graphics issues with 0.16.51 even with the current GPU and I know there were a lot of changes to improve performance on older GPUs. My other two sons have laptops with much worse graphics cards and they didn't have any issues with the upgrade although they were windows 10, so I'm wondering if its' a Linux specific thing.

I'll let you know if the problems go away with the newer video card.

Thanks,

action0jackson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by action0jackson »

UPDATE: Well I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Tried a new video card, tried generic nouveou drivers, tried old nvidia drivers, tried new nvidia drives, tried all combinations of settings and having no luck. At this point I'm going to just install windows on the pc and be done with it, hopefully that fixes the issue.

action0jackson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by action0jackson »

UPDATE2: I got Windows 10 installed last night. The video card I had put in died, so I had to go back to the first one Geforce 210. I am happy to report everything is working again! My son is extremely happy this morning and playing Factorio. In fact, I have 3 sons who all love this game.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11xhBu ... CfzDpPfMp1

I'm still slightly confused though, as it is working on the first old graphics card on Windows. So my first thought was maybe it was Linux and it's drivers. However it was working fine in 0.16.51, so I still think it is specific to 0.17.

Hopefully, no one else has the issue and you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I am glad you managed to make it work even though not on your preferred OS. I don't think it's a bug of our new rendering code as no one else reported glitches that would be similar to what you have showed, so I think it is just poor OpenGL 3.3 Linux driver support for these old GPUs for Linux.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”