[posila] Display refresh freezes when video output is changed

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
rideawalrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[posila] Display refresh freezes when video output is changed

Post by rideawalrus »

This happens on all versions through the latest experimental, across multiple games and menus. While the game is running full-screen if I change the video output source on my computer the display stops refreshing, but everything else continues. I can still hear sounds, I can walk around (can hear factories get closer or farther), it still autosaves, but the graphics are frozen. The only way to fix it is to force close the game and reopen. I usually play on a DVI monitor but like to switch to HDMI to a TV. They are the same resolution and are both outputting from an Nvidia gtx 770.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Display refresh freezes when video output is changed

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log after a session with the issue, see my signature.

rideawalrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Display refresh freezes when video output is changed

Post by rideawalrus »

Log with the issue, used force alt-f4 to quit.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] Display refresh freezes when video output is changed

Post by posila »

Hi, I'd like to clarify - do you switch to the TV or duplicate output to the TV?

The log doesn't contain error I expected it would. Do other DirectX9 games survive this transition? (For example anything using Source engine - Half Life 2, Portal 1/2)

Does it also freeze if you try to force OpenGL rendering? Open Factorio properties in Steam library and set launch options to

Code: Select all

--force-opengl

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

posila wrote:(For example anything using Source engine - Half Life 2, Portal 1/2)
If you need something free to use as a test, since you're already on Steam, I'd suggest TF2.

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

You can also try to hit Alt-Enter twice (go fullscreen and back) - might reset something.

rideawalrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rideawalrus »

I am duplicating output to the TV (HDMI), or when I go back to single output to monitor (DVI). It does the same thing with Half Life 2 and Portal 2. I'm not running Factorio in fullscreen, but Half life 2 and portal 2 were in full screen, same results. Using Alt-Enter twice just makes it crash with an unable to create sprites error, and didn't do anything on the other two games since they went out of focus when the problem occurs. It does not happen when I force OpenGL.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Since it happens in other games using DX9, it is likely to be an issue with your video card driver. My suggestion is to force OpenGL if you don't want it to crash, there really isn't anything else that can be done on the Factorio side of things.

Lizzy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lizzy »

Hi, I don't know if it's related or not, but here goes. My display crashes (with an error message) every time I switch between HDMI output or native laptop display. This is an exclusive switch (I'm only used the two highlighted options from project-menu.png), and the screen resolutions are different.
Attachments
project-menu.png
project-menu.png (223.26 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
factorio-current.log
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
error-msg.png
error-msg.png (240.46 KiB) Viewed 2793 times

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Ekevoo wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:13 am
Hi, I don't know if it's related or not, but here goes. My display crashes (with an error message) every time I switch between HDMI output or native laptop display. This is an exclusive switch (I'm only used the two highlighted options from project-menu.png), and the screen resolutions are different.
That is an unrelated issue, it belongs in a separate thread, but it would be likely to be closed anyway because of the backend rewrite for 0.17.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”