Very slow on linux 64

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
SiTLar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Very slow on linux 64

Post by SiTLar »

I have a linux machine with opensuse 12.3 intel core 2 duo 2.33GHz 6 GB RAM and GeForce 7600 GS

I've set the config to make use low graphics, but still i start a new game and it's incredibly slow right away. When I run, the screen updates about once in a second. May it be a fault in my system configuration?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Very slow on linux 64

Post by kovarex »

Hello, don't you have 2 GPUs by a chance?

SiTLar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SiTLar »

I have two monitors, but both are connected to gforce. There is a 100% CPU usage. About 50% Factorio and 50% x.org

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

Your setup is comparable to mine, but I don't have any problems at all. GeForce GT 240 here and intel core 2 quad. I don't have any slowdowns. In a very late game I have 40% CPU and 70% zoomed out at max. Xorg doesn't consume anything noticeable. Maybe your system uses software rendering.

SiTLar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SiTLar »

It has just turned out that the game is running slow only when it's started in a monitor with 90deg rotation, even if I drag the window to other monitor with no rotation. It runs OK if I start it in the normal one. Perhaps there is some issue with the size of the window.

SiTLar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SiTLar »

It is still very slow when there is nighttime

inthev01d
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by inthev01d »

How are you rotating the 2nd monitor? I use xrandr and everything works fine

SiTLar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SiTLar »

I use xrandr as well. May it be really related to software rendering? Is there a way to determine the rendering device?

middle_manager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by middle_manager »

What resolution are you running the game at?

Why is x.org taking so much CPU usage?

ysor123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ysor123 »

I had similar issue on a x64 linux. Everything was sooooooo slooooooooow. It was an openGL issue. Had to install propriet. drivers. Also geforce. I think the rendering took to long and you have a max delta so it slows down. Some neat opengl features were not supported by drivers I had before. Had neither working FBO nor VBO, and they are kind of legacy features already. Gues whether the new worked (or were available...) ;P

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

I don't suppose this is something we can easily solve, but from what I read through the thread following two steps should avoid this problem:

1) Don't start the game in 90 degrees rotated monitor if possible.
2) Install latest (proprietary) drivers.

Is that correct?

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

In case of AMD, open source drivers are fine, at least for the 6870 and I guess most other AMD cards. And in case of Intel, there are no proprietary drivers, as Intel develops their own Linux drivers as free/open source software.

So it's correct for Nvidia. And might be correct for AMD in some cases, though the proprietary catalyst driver generally has a very bad reputation with Linux support, randomly crashing or corrupting stuff. So I personally recommend the free drivers for everything but Nvidia.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

The proprietary nvidia drivers perform a lot better than the open source ones at this time. A quick way to see if you have the proprietary driver loaded is to run nvidia-settings. If the nvidia driver isn't loaded it will show very few options to set and I think it pops up a message too. You have an older graphics card which may also be causing some trouble. My understanding is that bad framerates at night are from difficulty rendering lights. Also at the current time Factorio is a tad vram hungry but not having enough usually leads to bad graphics corruptions or crashing on the initial loading screen. High resolutions can sometimes cause the graphics to slow down in my experience so you may want to try reducing the resolution (outside the game, it's not an in game option).

When you have bad framerate it is always a good idea to press F5 to bring up a debug overlay showing how long the game is spending on all of its different tasks like rendering or a particular mod. I haven't played much with the most recent version but 0.10.6 ran very well for me on x64 linux with an i5-2500 and a geforce 240 (512 MB). I typically run factorio at 1280x1024.

joepie91
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by joepie91 »

I've been experiencing a similar issue.

openSUSE 12.3 64-bits, Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600 GT (don't ask...).

Game runs correctly when only one monitor is enabled. However, when I have a second monitor enabled, the performance of Factorio will slow down to a crawl - even if Factorio itself is only running on one monitor. I am already using proprietary nVidia drivers.

EDIT: X11 will be maxing out a core when using two monitors.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Isn't it related to this bug: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=5665 ?
(if you press F5, is the value of Flip high?)

joepie91
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by joepie91 »

cube wrote:Isn't it related to this bug: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=5665 ?
(if you press F5, is the value of Flip high?)
Flip hovers between 5 and 7 for me, when running at the default resolution.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

5 to 7 is normal value, so this is unrelated.

devenv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by devenv »

For me the only thing that worked (SuSE 13.2, Nvidia 210 proprietary, x64) is running it in `xinit -- :1`, kde was running in another virtual screen just fine.
Actually it works pretty much amazing on the max settings :)
I think the issue isn't with Xorg...

P.S. Switching screens kinda kills it though... :/

devenv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by devenv »

Actually scratch that, switching from xrandr to opengl 3.1 in desktop effects made everything fine too :)

lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyallp »

FYI, I have no problems on my dual monitor, Gentoo linux 64 Intel i7-7700, nvidia GTX 1060, proprietary nvidia video drivers, xOrg, no rotation of monitors running under Steam.

Just thought I would indicate that not everyone has a problem here, but then, my setup appears to be a touch more powerful than the original poster.
...Lyall

Return to “1 / 0 magic”