New API Docs website

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New API Docs website

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hey, is it possible to get the link to the API docs site put to the top of the page for each site like the rest?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 pm
Hey, is it possible to get the link to the API docs site put to the top of the page for each site like the rest?
The old mod portal layout had a link somewhere to the API docs. It's kind of weird I haven't been able to find the docs now from anywhere except by searching with an external web search and by searching for modding on the wiki. It should be easy to find, so I agree.

Even https://factorio.com/support/faq#q-modding-support doesn't link to the api docs.
How about modding?

Factorio has a strong support for modding. Check out our wiki or forums on how to get started with mods.

We also have an online and in-game integrated mod portal.
Like WTF!? It was there before I think. I go to the API often, but I have to keep a tab open for it because there are no links for it accessible anywhere.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yup. Odd thing is, there’s a link for the API Docs on the API Docs site…. :/
Attachments
8C985A59-D17C-4029-917C-C78C7E04D112.jpeg
8C985A59-D17C-4029-917C-C78C7E04D112.jpeg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 pm
+1

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Something else, when exploring the API docs site from a phone, it’s difficult to find anything because there is no search field like on desktops. URL appears to be the same, and using the “Request desktop site” feature from my phone appears to make no difference, so I assume this is an automatic formatting thing. I completely understand it, but maybe if a separate page that’s only for searching could be made available?

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Muppet9010 »

Edit: Moved to right thread
Last edited by Muppet9010 on Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

Muppet9010 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:39 pm
A lot of the events are missing an explanation for when the `player_index` will be empty. As for some it relates to how a script raised the event and what options it passed in (which may not always be apparent).
i.e. https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/eve ... nstruction
on the `LuaEntity.order_deconstruction()` if the optional `player` field is left blank then no `player_index` appears in the event data. If the optional `player` field is populated or a player did the marking for deconstruction in-game then the the `player_index` event data field is populated.
Neither does the old design have that explanation. You may want to visit this thread, but, as far as I can see, the target of your complaint wasn't caused by the redesign. So why are you then posting it here?

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:43 pm
Something else, when exploring the API docs site from a phone, it’s difficult to find anything because there is no search field like on desktops. URL appears to be the same, and using the “Request desktop site” feature from my phone appears to make no difference, so I assume this is an automatic formatting thing. I completely understand it, but maybe if a separate page that’s only for searching could be made available?
This was fixed btw, the searchbox now shows on the index page on mobile, below the introductory overview.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Therenas wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:22 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:43 pm
This was fixed btw, the searchbox now shows on the index page on mobile, below the introductory overview.
Confirmed. Thanks for this!!

Return to “Modding discussion”